Author Topic: Reworking Trade  (Read 108362 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Trade
« Reply #285: July 03, 2012, 01:32:52 AM »
Penchant You can think what you will but I know for a fact there is a large amount of food just siting around that is not being sold because 50 gold a for a 100 units of food is not worth it.  Secondly Penchant I never said that people would pay that much I just want a high cap so that we can allow supply and demand to work.

Thirdly 50 gold for 100 units is nothing I have a lord of a rural region  and I can buy with my small income enough food to supply my region for more then 60 days and still have gold to build stuff and recruit and pay for a unit. Gold is extremely easy to get in the game but food is becoming a hard commodity to get and the more time that passes the harder it gets. If you think no one will pay over a 100 gold per a 100 units you are mistaking unlike everything else in game food is a must have. If a realm controls food supply they can charge what ever they want because people have to have it.

Think of it like gas. No one thought people would pay over 3 dollars in the US for it but in the height of the price spike people paid in the high 4s and in some places 5 dollars for it.   The simple answer for this is people paid it because they had to pay it  because they need it.

Same concept behind food in this game TOM wants to make food more important so it makes since that prices should be allowed to go higher to equal the demand and need for the food.

While by blank theory you may be correct about food prices, the reason your argument falls up short is that food is not inherently worth anything. Food is a means to an end. Food is essentially a resource used to gain more gold. This means that there is a theoretical underlying value to any food eaten in a specific region. This number is the maximum rate at which food can be converted into gold for that region, when the gold is the max gold production and food the max food consumption. Therefore, if the price for food goes over that value, then it is a net loss in value to purchase food. The solution is not to purchase any food and let population decline until purchasing food is profitable.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."