Author Topic: Reworking Trade  (Read 108500 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Trade
« Reply #90: February 07, 2012, 03:23:26 AM »
  • Put up a Sell offer and have him buy it.
  • Have him put up a Buy offer, and then you sell him food to fill it.
Really, not much has changed, except that you can't just give food away any more. (Which I agree is a bit annoying. But I can deal with that.)

I'm a bit confused about how the offers work. About who can set buy or sell offers, and when and where. I'm gonna try to get to a marketplace as soon as possible to see things for myself (perhaps I'll understand better), but that'll take a few days.

Putting up a a sell offer from my region, for cheap, ain't a good option for giving food away though as the first trader/lord to check the markets will be able to snatch it before the intended duke.

Umm... what? I get the feeling that your just posting random objections to the system without really thinking things through.

In order for the government to prevent you from trading with someone, they will need to declare war on them. (And you can work around that with the assistance of a neutral third party, anyway.) "The government" has no idea who you are selling food to, or who you are buying food from, or for how much. They cannot control how much food you sell, or for what price. They can see the offers you post, if they happen to look while the offer is open. But they cannot know who fills them. And if you are paranoid about "the government" seeing what offers you have open, then have your foreign contact put up offers, and you fill them. That way your region never has an open offer, and no one will ever know that you bought/sold the food.

Aren't people saying that the government can set that you can only trade with allies, or no one?

My issues aren't with my own government, but with others'. And the way I see it, the only way for us to trade with people from far away is to send traders to them (as it's unreasonable to expect the whole world to come to D'Hara to sell their personal stocks). As such, those lords *need* to set a public sell offer for traders to be able to pick it up. And now the trade offers are posted in a much clearer way (instead of buried within a long list of regions) and available to everyone (instead of only lords). Lords selling us food despite a realm-level policy of "no exports" or "exports to X only" accounted for a significant part of D'Haran imports over the years... If they can now check a box stating "only trade with allies", then that will give governments a lot more power over the lords than they used to have, and deny the lords the capacity to defy their government. Unless I misunderstood and that option to sell to allies only is the lord's, and not the government's?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron