Author Topic: Reworking Trade  (Read 106532 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Trade
« Reply #30: January 28, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »
Will there be anything to prevent traders from buying all food of a realm without having an agreement about it?

For example, a trader with decent trading skill sits in Port Nebel and snipes the moment he sees a buy offer in Luria Nova and thus instantly buying all food that is available there. This will the offer in Luria Nova is only posted to allow transportation of a rural to a city and not to sell to person that comes first.

This is easily handled, don't use sell orders, use buy orders. He can't buy your food if you never release it to the open market.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: January 28, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Will there be anything to prevent traders from buying all food of a realm without having an agreement about it?

If you are stupid enough to put all of your food on the market, then no.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 28, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
Uhm, so I should manually list countless buy orders for 100 bushels? As the amount I'm buying cant be too large as else the rurals can't fill the order. Alright......... will this be changed later on as I can imagine more fun things then list orders.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #33: January 28, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
No, this is where traders come in.

Yes, you can write 20 buy orders for 100 bushels each. But you can also write out 4 orders for 500 bushels each, and wait for a trader to do the work of getting you the batches.

Or you can write one or two big ones for traders and a few small ones for the other region lords to accept immediately.

Plus, of course, your region lords can put up sales orders in the magnitude they can afford and you can buy those.

Really, why is everyone so focussed on the "this will be horrible" part? Right now, it seems that for every change I make, I need to go away for a week afterwards until the complaints have died down and everyone has realized that the world is still turning.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #34: January 28, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »
Complaints come from change. Also, because it requires brainpower to process or something.

egamma

« Reply #35: January 28, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
Uhm, so I should manually list countless buy orders for 100 bushels? As the amount I'm buying cant be too large as else the rurals can't fill the order. Alright......... will this be changed later on as I can imagine more fun things then list orders.

Or, make some of the sell orders larger, and you simply will buy from Region A on Monday, Region B on Thursday, Region C on Sunday, etc--let the food build up in the rurals a bit, and rotate your purchases.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 28, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
No, this is where traders come in.

Yes, you can write 20 buy orders for 100 bushels each. But you can also write out 4 orders for 500 bushels each, and wait for a trader to do the work of getting you the batches.

Or you can write one or two big ones for traders and a few small ones for the other region lords to accept immediately.

Plus, of course, your region lords can put up sales orders in the magnitude they can afford and you can buy those.

Really, why is everyone so focussed on the "this will be horrible" part? Right now, it seems that for every change I make, I need to go away for a week afterwards until the complaints have died down and everyone has realized that the world is still turning.

This would require region lords to post sale orders, which friendly people in other realms can buy instantly. So that brings back the original problem of not being able to protect your food. And the solution that was offered for that was to put up manual buy orders. But a trader for example still needs a sell order in a region to match large buy orders. All I ask for is a way to prevent other realms from buying food with it not requiring a lot of time of the person buying the food.

Artemesia, thank you for your wonderful comment. Go manage food yourself and then start crying.

egamma

« Reply #37: January 28, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
This would require region lords to post sale orders, which friendly people in other realms can buy instantly. So that brings back the original problem of not being able to protect your food. And the solution that was offered for that was to put up manual buy orders. But a trader for example still needs a sell order in a region to match large buy orders. All I ask for is a way to prevent other realms from buying food with it not requiring a lot of time of the person buying the food.

Artemesia, thank you for your wonderful comment. Go manage food yourself and then start crying.

You don't need traders. Duke creates buy offers, region lords fulfill them when their granaries have enough food. Simple. Need more detail?

The Duke can spend one day creating enough trade orders to last a couple of weeks.

The region lords can check whenever they want extra gold and meet the buy orders.

I suggest having a variety of buy orders--some at 50, some at 100, some at 300.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 28, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
You don't need traders. Duke creates buy offers, region lords fulfill them when their granaries have enough food. Simple. Need more detail?

The Duke can spend one day creating enough trade orders to last a couple of weeks.

The region lords can check whenever they want extra gold and meet the buy orders.

I suggest having a variety of buy orders--some at 50, some at 100, some at 300.

But wouldn't that need the duke to be every 2 weeks in his city (quite ok in my opinion) but also the lords pretty often back in their regions (and that's annoying) ?

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 28, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
But wouldn't that need the duke to be every 2 weeks in his city (quite ok in my opinion) but also the lords pretty often back in their regions (and that's annoying) ?

No, if you read it says as long as they are in a marketplace they can access trade, no need to be in your own region.

also about protecting food from other realms, that's where diplomacy and war comes  in.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 28, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
um... doh... i forgot to cancel manual trade offers before the change where i plonked down gold from year ago... XD

damn.. and i was sort of low on gold (not low per se.. just the expenditure is rather high)
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: January 29, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
For all those who are afraid their food will be "stolen" (i.e. bought up by another realm), I am currently working on a limit flag for trades.

The default is already that people your realm is at war with can not accept your offers. With the new flag, you can also restrict this even more to only allies (excluding those who are neutral or at peace with your realm) or even to only people from your realm.

It won't take long for this to be added.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #42: January 29, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
Thank you, Tom.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: February 01, 2012, 02:44:10 AM »
To sum up what I've seen with the new system:

1) Apparently, trade range is now shorter.
2) I have lowered accessibility to my trade options: I am in a region of my realm, not traveling, and unlike before do not have tools to set up trades.
3) Trade offers must now have a "best before" date.
4) I must now chose the price from a drop-down menu, severely limiting one's flexibility.
5) I can't target specific regions with my offers, I can't chose to favor one buyer or seller over another. I therefore cannot send caravans before food is available, hoping they'll arrive just in time to snatch it when it becomes available before others.

What have we gained? I haven't had much chances to fiddle with the new system yet, but all I'm seeing are negatives...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: February 01, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
To sum up what I've seen with the new system:

1) Apparently, trade range is now shorter.
2) I have lowered accessibility to my trade options: I am in a region of my realm, not traveling, and unlike before do not have tools to set up trades.
3) Trade offers must now have a "best before" date.
4) I must now chose the price from a drop-down menu, severely limiting one's flexibility.
5) I can't target specific regions with my offers, I can't chose to favor one buyer or seller over another. I therefore cannot send caravans before food is available, hoping they'll arrive just in time to snatch it when it becomes available before others.

What have we gained? I haven't had much chances to fiddle with the new system yet, but all I'm seeing are negatives...

1) Trade range is now a factor of your character and their position. Not a factor of distance from your region
2) Yes this is true, unless it is your own region you will need a market place in the region to access trade
3) I've got no idea about this one. Do you mean they expire if no one fills them within a certain time?
4) No idea about the design choice for this, might be related to the fact you can't partially fill orders any more, or to make it easier for traders to broker deals.
5) Why do you need to, you DON'T send out caravans anymore. If you want to "Snatch" food from a region. Click the buy button, the food is now yours. No one can beat you to it.

Some positives I see,

1) traders no longer have to GO to a region to buy or sell food, they can operate on all regions within their trading range, speeding up the sales they can potentially access
2) It is easy to actually see all the buy and sell orders now
3) Using a steward willing to travel, you can now move food large distances, without needing a trader to travel both ways
4) No more caravans returning without actually trading.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.