Author Topic: Reworking Trade  (Read 107577 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Trade
« Reply #270: June 12, 2012, 02:13:41 AM »
No Dante,

Tom expressly said that the trader will MUST make a profit.
Or something changed or there is a bug. ^_^

That's fine, I'm wrong. I'm just saying what I THOUGHT.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #271: June 12, 2012, 02:28:50 AM »
That's fine, I'm wrong. I'm just saying what I THOUGHT.
Tom may have said you must make a profit before but what he really meant was that you can not trade at a loss so Dante is right. I have been a trader for monthes on Dwilight and have always been able to broker trades for a profit of 0.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #272: June 12, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
As a trader I CAN'T trade anything if the lords don't agree. The class is useless.

That is why we are working on it. Don't forget that the whole trade system just got exchanged. Stuff like the black market, etc. is still unfinished.

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #273: June 12, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
That is why we are working on it. Don't forget that the whole trade system just got exchanged. Stuff like the black market, etc. is still unfinished.
I know tom.
I was only showing with a real text what I was talking about.
It was only a statement I was not reopening the discussion. ^_^

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #274: June 13, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
Trading with 0 profit has always been allowed.  Trading with a negative profit is disallowed.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #275: June 13, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »

Well...
So I'm wrong. Probably there was some difference and I didn't saw when closing the deal.

The dev team could change the wording of the messages, in this case.
Profit means that you earn something. And "0" is not a profit.

The message could be something like
"You can't close the deal with a loss" For when the sell prices is higher than the buy offer.
"You are able to close the deal, but without profit" to equal offers
And
"You are able to close the deal and will receive X gold as profit" in the case that the buy offer excide the sell price.

It could be other prhases, but that is the idea.
I don't think that this will bring much trouble to the dev team and will keep things clear.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #276: June 17, 2012, 07:21:34 AM »
1 thing about realm only/ally only trade offers

... should they not be available to foreign brokers (not steward/lords)?

that is, if both the buyer and seller regions fulfil the realm only/ally only criteria..

---
ref:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2627.msg60060.html#msg60060

eh.. that sort of goes against what i thought realm only/allies offers mean...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:43:11 PM by fodder »
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277: June 17, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
What would *really* help trade on EC, and probably other islands, as well, would be fixing the trade distance bug. According to the travel advisor, my character is 402 miles from Perdan city, and the marketplace tells me I have a range of 546 miles. Yet I can't see the trade offer the Duke tells me he has posted. I *can* see Aix, at 272 miles.

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6932
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #278: June 17, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
What would *really* help trade on EC, and probably other islands, as well, would be fixing the trade distance bug. According to the travel advisor, my character is 402 miles from Perdan city, and the marketplace tells me I have a range of 546 miles. Yet I can't see the trade offer the Duke tells me he has posted. I *can* see Aix, at 272 miles.

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6932

If only we knew someone who could see and modify the code...hmmm...Looks at Indirik  8)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #279: June 17, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »
This is likely related to the distance multiplier bug that Foundation recently discovered...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280: June 18, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »
While I can *look* at code, and technically I *can* commit code changes, there's no way I could fix this. Foundation found the cause, but the change is actually very complicated because of the way it is handled on different islands. No way I'm touching this one.

On the other hand, if you find a spelling or grammatical error, let me know! :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281: June 18, 2012, 02:42:38 AM »

Food should not be balanced around the purpose of giving traders something to do, and to hell with the effect it has on realms.

Trading for the sake of trading should be kept for a separate resource (the "luxury" or "goods" resource), unless starvation is removed altogether and that regions without food automatically go to sustenance farming or something to that effect.

Balancing food around trade makes as much sense (and fun) as making region production plummet after a week without bureau work or region morale plummet after a week without preaching. Traders, like priests, are specialty classes that no realms should require to remain competitive, despite their presence being potentially quite beneficial.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #282: June 18, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
Food should not be balanced around the purpose of giving traders something to do, and to hell with the effect it has on realms.

Trading for the sake of trading should be kept for a separate resource (the "luxury" or "goods" resource), unless starvation is removed altogether and that regions without food automatically go to sustenance farming or something to that effect.

Balancing food around trade makes as much sense (and fun) as making region production plummet after a week without bureau work or region morale plummet after a week without preaching. Traders, like priests, are specialty classes that no realms should require to remain competitive, despite their presence being potentially quite beneficial.

I agree with this 100%.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #283: June 18, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

+1

egamma

« Reply #284: July 01, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
Food seems to be getting scarcer on Dwilight. Are the production numbers going to be changed soon?