Author Topic: Reworking Trade  (Read 106700 times)

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Trade
« Reply #315: July 03, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
@gustav: I'm not going to sit here and list possible exploits. Think it through.

As for the cap, I agree, 50 may be a bit low. Maybe once food balance has been achieved, tom will think about raising it some. Or maybe once trade delays have been put back in.

Why cant Tom raise the cap now it should not take long to do?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316: July 03, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
He probably doesn't want it raised.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #317: July 03, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
You're the one telling me that there's an exploit, Indirik. Unless you can prove to me that there are exploits that wouldn't happen with a cap, I'm going to continue to say there is no reason for a cap.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #318: July 03, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
You're the one telling me that there's an exploit, Indirik. Unless you can prove to me that there are exploits that wouldn't happen with a cap, I'm going to continue to say there is no reason for a cap.

Why would anyone (forget a dev) make exploits public? Just take his word for it...
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #319: July 03, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
You are free to say that, if you wish. It still doesn't mean that I'm going to list possible/potential/actual exploits and abuses in a public forum.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #320: July 03, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
For the sake of balancing and statistics, I can testify that indeed Morek has a LOT of food stored and could potentially sell most of it to somehow cancel starvation in the rest of dwilight.

The main problem I can think of, besides Morek's well known far from generous attitude, is that it's quite a slow procedure to shuffle food around systematically: too many people need to do actions in particular regions, and for each transition prices raise since everyone wants his share. I guess trade flow would get larger if Lords simply started to sell wildly without waiting for contracts or bankers or agreements, but still many do not seem interested in doing it or simply put some hundred bushels for sale every now and then, resulting in a huge stockpile.

In the end I believe the new trade system implies a much decentralised mindset which is yet to come, since people were more or less used to sell large quantities of food to single traders coming from realm x with which the trader made a certain deal beforehand.

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #321: July 03, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
For the sake of balancing and statistics, I can testify that indeed Morek has a LOT of food stored and could potentially sell most of it to somehow cancel starvation in the rest of dwilight.

The main problem I can think of, besides Morek's well known far from generous attitude, is that it's quite a slow procedure to shuffle food around systematically: too many people need to do actions in particular regions, and for each transition prices raise since everyone wants his share. I guess trade flow would get larger if Lords simply started to sell wildly without waiting for contracts or bankers or agreements, but still many do not seem interested in doing it or simply put some hundred bushels for sale every now and then, resulting in a huge stockpile.

In the end I believe the new trade system implies a much decentralised mindset which is yet to come, since people were more or less used to sell large quantities of food to single traders coming from realm x with which the trader made a certain deal beforehand.

Peri this is indeed why I wish the gold cap on trade to be brought up quite a bit if we are allowed to charge more for food then it would motivate nobles to actually wish to go through the trouble of selling their food . Right now we have a market that under values food, many here thinks food is a means to a end but I see food as a tool of war. Realms have to have to have food or they will have to starve their regions until they can feed them which will result in internal trouble within the realm as well as a decrease in recruits, gold etc. If you cant beat a stronger realm starve them until they are to week to fight.  I mean lets says I was a Lord and I had 2000 units of food I can only make 1000 gold from it.  This is not a whole heck of a lot for the work I would have to do to sell it.

Food takes time to build up and the prices we are caped at don't reflect the work required to sell the product.  If I wanted to now I could sell all my food at max price and have it sold by the end of the day. This goes to show that people are willing to pay more then what our cap is now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:02:28 PM by Creed »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322: July 03, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
This is not a who heck of a lot for the work I would have to do to sell it.
"Work"? It would take all of about 10 clicks to sell 1000 bushels for 50/100. 10 clicks of the mouse isn't worth 500 gold to you? You could sell it for a lot less work by just going into the market and accepting whatever Buy offers are listed.

I'm sorry, but the argument of "It's just not worth my time to sell it" holds no water. Have fun letting it rot in your warehouse, and getting nothing for it at all.

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #323: July 03, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »
"Work"? It would take all of about 10 clicks to sell 1000 bushels for 50/100. 10 clicks of the mouse isn't worth 500 gold to you? You could sell it for a lot less work by just going into the market and accepting whatever Buy offers are listed.

I'm sorry, but the argument of "It's just not worth my time to sell it" holds no water. Have fun letting it rot in your warehouse, and getting nothing for it at all.

lol Indirik I don't need gold I have to much of it now anyways. I buy food for the heck of it when I see it for sale and just send it to rogue regions because I have no space for it. I mean just today I bought 500 units of food it cost me 50 gold total for all of it was everything on the market with in my distance . For the scarcity of food the market makes no since. I mean If I wanted to make some gold I would just take the food and go down south to sell to D'Hara but that takes time and effort and the pay off is what a messily 200 gold .What am I going to do with the gold? Look at it? I already have enough gold to just sit in the capital and train forever, recruit to my recruit cap, buy extra food if I wish. We have all this gold but their really is not much in the game to spend it on. Lets remember I am not even a duke of a town lands or city.

I mean I suppose I can just continually tear down and build  recruitment centers until I get a awesome one but that will just be boring.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:21:08 PM by Creed »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324: July 03, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
lol Indirik I don't need gold I have to much of it now anyways. I buy food for the heck of it when I see it for sale and just send it to rogue regions
What do you mean by "send it to rogue regions"? It should not be possible to sell food to rogue regions at all.

What am I going to do with the gold? Look at it? I already have enough gold to just sit in the capital and train forever, recruit to my recruit cap, buy extra food if I wish.
So you have no use for the obscene amounts of gold you already have, but you want us to raise the sale price cap because you want to be able to make more gold that you don't need or want?

Why don't you try parlaying the food, of which you already have way too much, into political favor? Try doing something useful with it instead of just demanding more gold that you already admit you don't need or want, and couldn't use even if you did have it.

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #325: July 03, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
What do you mean by "send it to rogue regions"? It should not be possible to sell food to rogue regions at all.
So you have no use for the obscene amounts of gold you already have, but you want us to raise the sale price cap because you want to be able to make more gold that you don't need or want?

Why don't you try parlaying the food, of which you already have way too much, into political favor? Try doing something useful with it instead of just demanding more gold that you already admit you don't need or want, and couldn't use even if you did have it.

Yeah I cant do it now but it was back when when you could use ox carts.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326: July 03, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
Ox carts could not be used to move food outside your own realm. If you could, then it was a bug.

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #327: July 03, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

I have use for gold yes but I need more then just obscene amount of gold for myself. I want a way to make enough gold to fund an organization without having to rely on a Duke or realm.  Allowing for gold cap to be higher will allow me to make the need income for my organization. Also the increased gold cap will allow other Lords to make more gold that might not have a lot of gold.

All I am saying now is that food is just to cheap. Like I said above I bought all the sell orders that where up today it cost me 50 gold for 500 units of food. All I am going to do with it is add it to my pile I  have maybe build some more granarys

Also there are good IG reasons my character doe this
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:40:56 PM by Creed »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #328: July 03, 2012, 07:41:34 PM »
All I am saying now is that food is just to cheap. Like I said above I bought all the sell orders that where up today it cost me 50 gold for 500 units of food.
That's a price of 10/100, which is the absolute minimum. Since they're not selling at the upper limit. So if people aren't selling at the upper limit, then why raise the limit? Changing the cap from 50 to 100 is not suddenly going to make people already selling at 10 suddenly switch to 100.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #329: July 03, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
Thank you both for clarifying this issue of the cap, why it is there, and why it should remain there.

Please move on to other aspects of the trade system.  Further discussion on the same topic will be moved to a different thread.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.