Author Topic: Feature Cut: Paraphernalia  (Read 11683 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Cut: Paraphernalia
« Topic Start: January 27, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
  • Paraphernalia should be a flag, not a counter. You decide if your unit has banners, siege engines, scouts, etc. - and your captain will handle the details about the exact numbers, etc. etc.
I like the general idea of this for many things, such as healers, banners, carts, etc. But when it comes to things like siege engines, I don't like it. Whether or not to carry siege engines, and how many to carry, is really a tactical decision. You can choose to go light on siege engines to keep mobility because you're not going to attack heavy fortifications, or you can choose to load yourself down because you're going to be knocking on the doors of the enemy's capital, and you don't really need to be mobile.

Not only that, but the number of siege engines that your army carries is very important as well, and a subject of a lot of contention. 1 per 10? 1 per 20? 1 per unit? Depends on the level of walls? It's a trade off, and a risk factor. Mobility vs. effectiveness. I think this is a very important part of the combat game, and I would not like to see this portion of it extrapolated away just for the sake of a bit of simplicity.

going around with enough siege engines to be effective in a siege was a pain, it really made an army less effective.
Depends on how many you have. There are armies that routinely have their infantry carry one siege engine per unit. For younger characters it doesn't have too much effect, unless you're traveling through mountains or on very bad roads. But when you get the unexpected chance to attack a fortified but lightly defended townsland, it is very nice to have 5 or 6 siege engines your enemy didn't expect you to have.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.