Author Topic: Feature Cut: Paraphernalia  (Read 11679 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Feature Cut: Paraphernalia
« Reply #15: January 27, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
This could be fixed though, but it would add some checks when you add men. When you increase the size of the unit, check what paraphernalia with an upfront cost is currently owned by the unit, and give the player a choice, either pay to increase the number to match the new size, or abandon them.

The purpose is to make things less complex, not more. :-)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: January 27, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
I like the general idea of this for many things, such as healers, banners, carts, etc. But when it comes to things like siege engines, I don't like it. Whether or not to carry siege engines, and how many to carry, is really a tactical decision.

Someone commented the same thing with respect to healers. I am thinking of maybe creating more paraphernalia to cover these bases. Not many more, but a few. For example, I have always wanted to split siege engines into light (ladders, etc.) and heavy (siege towers and rams).

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 27, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »
or ones that destroy the wall and ones that go over it?

Just a guess here, but part of the idea is to simplify things, and what is more simple then having one level of effectiveness? You either have healers or you don't, so you either get the flat bonus or you don't. Personally I prefer the strategy involved with current set up, but if we are going simple and approachable for all players, having a single bonus works well

just because it's simple and approachable doesn't mean you can't have a settings that says - lots of healers you pay extra and get extra healing.. we are not saying players get to pick 1% or 2%.. at most we are talking

25%  / 50%  / normal /150% /200%
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:24:26 PM by fodder »
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 27, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
"Drafting" of siege engines?

I meant that the region Lord could draft his workshop to have more than one siege engine available, in the same way he can draft his RC.

It's just an idea. I'm sure there are many other ways.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: January 27, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »
No, at most we are talking 3 different levels, not 5. And even 3 is unlikely. Maybe 2. And that's a big "maybe".

egamma

« Reply #20: January 27, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Someone commented the same thing with respect to healers. I am thinking of maybe creating more paraphernalia to cover these bases. Not many more, but a few. For example, I have always wanted to split siege engines into light (ladders, etc.) and heavy (siege towers and rams).

I would love to see catapults, perhaps only recruit-able by special forces?

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 27, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
This is going to be a kick in the nuts for moderately large realms, Tom.

The refill rate of paraphernalia items would not change much, true, but the "stockpiling effect" would be gone. Demand for paraphernalia comes in spikes, when the army is refitting, and having a stockpile of them to hand out speeds things up.

A siege engine workshop that holds six siege engines can supply six knights immediately. If that workshop can only hold one now, you will have knights waiting for days before they can move out again. One of them has to wait nearly a week.
------
qui audet vincit

egamma

« Reply #22: January 27, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
This is going to be a kick in the nuts for moderately large realms, Tom.

The refill rate of paraphernalia items would not change much, true, but the "stockpiling effect" would be gone. Demand for paraphernalia comes in spikes, when the army is refitting, and having a stockpile of them to hand out speeds things up.

A siege engine workshop that holds six siege engines can supply six knights immediately. If that workshop can only hold one now, you will have knights waiting for days before they can move out again. One of them has to wait nearly a week.

But not if...the army refits in multiple regions. Or if multiple siege workshops are built. In fact, a small realm, with only one city, will have to wait a week, while a large realm can order half the army to refit in City A and half in City B, and be done in half the time. Both large and small realms will be able to build multiple siege workshops to cut the time down further.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #23: January 27, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
Recruitment would still only work in the capital though. So they still have to move out to get their paraphernalia, thus splitting them up.

egamma

« Reply #24: January 27, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
Recruitment would still only work in the capital though. So they still have to move out to get their paraphernalia, thus splitting them up.

In other words, paraphernelia would work exactly like it does now? Currently, it's entirely possible for your capital to not have any siege engines. And I know it won't have scouts. How is this any different?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 27, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
um.. do they (mostly scouts/healers) disappear if you don't have a unit any more?
firefox

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 27, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »
Any scouts/healers remain with you even if your unit captain and all is gone
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 27, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
But not if...the army refits in multiple regions. Or if multiple siege workshops are built. In fact, a small realm, with only one city, will have to wait a week, while a large realm can order half the army to refit in City A and half in City B, and be done in half the time. Both large and small realms will be able to build multiple siege workshops to cut the time down further.
Splitting up your army is a luxury that most realms cannot afford during war-time. You'll get defeated-in-detail and have at least one of your regions razed before you can recover.

Money is tight during war-time. "Just build more siege workshops" is not a viable solution. Just building one per city is expensive enough as it is.
------
qui audet vincit

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 28, 2012, 02:49:02 AM »
Splitting up your army is a luxury that most realms cannot afford during war-time. You'll get defeated-in-detail and have at least one of your regions razed before you can recover.

Money is tight during war-time. "Just build more siege workshops" is not a viable solution. Just building one per city is expensive enough as it is.

Arcaea regularly send its units to different cities when we are doing a siege refit. How else are you going to get a realm with 60 something nobles to recruit enough SE to matter. If you are worried about being defeated in detail while doing a refit, you aren't really at the stage where you need SE. For all other paraphernalia, well why don't your units already have it? Like was pointed out, you don't lost many forms of paraphernalia when you lose your unit.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: January 28, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »
How about we just remove scouts as paraphernalia? Just let units scout? If your scout gets captured, you lose 1 unit. But to balance things out, maybe increase the percentage of your scout being captured?

Or

Maybe enable an option to form a scout party. Make people choose how many units you want to send out as scouts. More you send, more accurate your information becomes? Or to simplify things, screw the accuracy of information and just increase the capture rate.