Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 3474 times)

egamma

Fishing
« Topic Start: January 30, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »
I would like to know if a nobleman might commission a fishing-boat or shipbuilders for the purpose of bringing in additional fish to feed our cities. I'm thinking about how Port Raviel sits right in the middle of a huge ocean, yet has almost no food production. It would be great for its' harbor to bring in fish.

To be honest, I'm not finding much support for the nobility doing this, although hundreds of commoners used tiny boats, which they rowed just a few hundred feet off the shore.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1: January 30, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »
Not sure that large scale fishing boats where really used, thus I'm not entirely sure that noble funding would be required.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #2: January 30, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birlinn

That's what I found so far, just a minor mention of fishing. I think that a noble could perhaps sponsor a shipyard, just like we build smithies. I envision it operating semi-autonomously, like a siege workship today, where you would get messages like "a ship was built today."

Maybe a nice touch for a New Economy building?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 30, 2012, 06:42:12 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birlinn

That's what I found so far, just a minor mention of fishing. I think that a noble could perhaps sponsor a shipyard, just like we build smithies. I envision it operating semi-autonomously, like a siege workship today, where you would get messages like "a ship was built today."

Maybe a nice touch for a New Economy building?

I'm not sure it is planned that their be buildings that affect the maximum amount of food or gold for a region. If there is there would have to be some serious balancing. Cities run a food deficit for a reason, if they could substantially reduce or even remove that from investment in things like fishing (for coastal cities at least) then that would throw those equations out.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #4: January 31, 2012, 05:21:15 AM »
I'm not sure it is planned that their be buildings that affect the maximum amount of food or gold for a region. If there is there would have to be some serious balancing. Cities run a food deficit for a reason, if they could substantially reduce or even remove that from investment in things like fishing (for coastal cities at least) then that would throw those equations out.

I know. there would have to be storms that destroy all your ships, etc.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 02, 2012, 12:07:12 AM »
Balance aside, coastal cities should probably produce more food.  Fishing was fairly important from what I recall.

That said, I don't think it should really be able to be increased, certainly not with nobles commissioning ships for fishing . . . although nobles did commission pirate ships, so (so if you want to RP as a pirate noble, remember that you are probably just sponsoring a pirate ship while you stay on your estate . . . but that a number of nobles did do this).  We can't increase other type of food production, so why this?  But if and when the new economy comes around, coastal cities (and those next to rivers) should get a reasonable sized boast to food production.