Author Topic: Rant of the day  (Read 7275 times)

squirrel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Rant of the day
« Topic Start: January 31, 2012, 04:39:38 AM »
I don't mind so much being stabbed in the back. I don't love it, but it's part of the game.

I don't mind going public with a... "creative" history of events. Again, part of the game.

What gets up my nose is being told in personal, direct messages why it's somehow my fault that I'm being stabbed, or that the stabbing is for my own good. As if the explanation is so very eloquent that I'm going to be magically convinced of this either IC or OOC.

Come on, dude. Do whatever you think you have to do or what you think you can get away with. But don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.
Never approach a vast undertaking with a half-vast plan.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Rant of the day
« Reply #1: January 31, 2012, 04:44:07 AM »
I don't mind so much being stabbed in the back. I don't love it, but it's part of the game.

I don't mind going public with a... "creative" history of events. Again, part of the game.

What gets up my nose is being told in personal, direct messages why it's somehow my fault that I'm being stabbed, or that the stabbing is for my own good. As if the explanation is so very eloquent that I'm going to be magically convinced of this either IC or OOC.

Come on, dude. Do whatever you think you have to do or what you think you can get away with. But don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

Maybe his character is delusional. Definetly sounds like something my character Carlos would do. But then he is also hunting for the rebel leader who is decidedly short in stature and thinks death duels should be used to sort out any disagreement.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 31, 2012, 05:01:58 AM »

Don't EVER trust Jenred.

Anyway, ya that sucks. If its an OOC issue I'd just ask that person to lay off and play things IC imo. If its all IC betrayal well, perhaps you can use their letters to your advantage?

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

squirrel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 31, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »
Maybe. It feels like a thin IC proxy for OOC gloating. Coupled with a hefty dose of self-delusion from the people who can't admit that they simply like winning.

It's okay to like winning. I don't like losing but I'm a big boy and I'll get over it. I'm not your damn therapist or your priest and I'm not going to give you absolution for it. Just take the win and get out of my face.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 31, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »
Don't EVER trust Jenred.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with this statement (Jenred is devoted to his principles, which has the side-effect of him being willing to break any and all agreements if necessary for the greater good), but I'm curious what caused it.  I'm not aware of him having stabbed anyone in the back recently.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 31, 2012, 06:14:43 AM »
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with this statement (Jenred is devoted to his principles, which has the side-effect of him being willing to break any and all agreements if necessary for the greater good), but I'm curious what caused it.  I'm not aware of him having stabbed anyone in the back recently.

Just De-Legro's comment about "delusional". I mean if the character that you interact with is insane, or has a lot of power, or is insane AND has a lot of power, you are kind of at a risk of being back stabbed.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 31, 2012, 06:19:01 AM »
Just De-Legro's comment about "delusional". I mean if the character that you interact with is insane, or has a lot of power, or is insane AND has a lot of power, you are kind of at a risk of being back stabbed.

Ah, certainly.  And Jenred is definitely both insane and in possession of lots of power.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 31, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
I submit that gloating and rationalizations are all a part of the game as well, as long as it is kept strictly IC. You don't have to read anyone's messages if you don't want to. If someone gave your back an extra knife-related accessory, get revenge and/or get over it. I'm not sure what you are hoping to accomplish by complaining to us. ???
------
qui audet vincit

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 31, 2012, 08:22:29 PM »
This reminds me of those statuses teenage girls post on Facebook with some cryptic message about trust and betrayal that masquerades as a general comment about life but is very obviously directed at one specific person.

So, I'll bite. Who and what the !@#$ are you talking about.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 01, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
Put the highest gold bounty on that annoying fella head until he barely able to walk everyday without worry infiltrators and assassins daggers stuck on his back. Remind me of this quote: "Don't get mad, Get even"  8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

squirrel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 02, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »
This reminds me of those statuses teenage girls post on Facebook with some cryptic message about trust and betrayal that masquerades as a general comment about life but is very obviously directed at one specific person.

So, I'll bite. Who and what the !@#$ are you talking about.

Easy there, killer. At the moment I'm annoyed by the folks who are dancing on Caergoth's grave and yes, they do know that. But it's interesting that people from CE or Arcaea feel the need to get defensive about it. Obviously I'm not the first person to rant about this kind of thing.

I submit that gloating and rationalizations are all a part of the game as well, as long as it is kept strictly IC.

I don't always buy that. BattleMaster is a game first and foremost and we already accept that this puts limits on IC actions. Treating other player characters like army recruits is not acceptable. IC expressions of misogyny or racism aren't acceptable. Those limits have pretty wide agreement.

Before anyone freaks out, no, I'm not saying that gloating is the same thing. But gloating is poor sportsmanship whether it's done IC or OOC. It's not a lightning-bolt offense, but there is a line that people can and do cross where it's no longer enough to brush it off by saying, "It's all IC so you can't blame the player." IC doesn't stand for "Immune from Criticism".

Speaking of Arcaea, I'm actually kind of impressed by how quickly they're putting the brakes on the war with Arcachon just because one character fell on his sword. It's more grace than I was expecting from a realm with so much obvious antipathy toward it's enemy. Now that might change if Arcaea tries to make Arcachon sign a really humiliating treaty. There's not much point to peace if it's a peace that would make WWI Germany shake their heads and say, "Wow, and I thought WE got a raw deal."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 02, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Isn't Arcaea also demanding that several of the high-ranking Arcachonians also leave the realm? So it's not just one person committing suicide. It's enforced regime change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 02, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
Isn't Arcaea also demanding that several of the high-ranking Arcachonians also leave the realm? So it's not just one person committing suicide. It's enforced regime change.

Four nobles, only one currently highly ranked. Three tortured Arcaean nobles and ambassadors and the other was an Arcaean traitor who passed information to Arcachon for months, allowing them to know what our orders were the same turn they were given.

Speaking of Arcaea, I'm actually kind of impressed by how quickly they're putting the brakes on the war with Arcachon just because one character fell on his sword. It's more grace than I was expecting from a realm with so much obvious antipathy toward it's enemy. Now that might change if Arcaea tries to make Arcachon sign a really humiliating treaty. There's not much point to peace if it's a peace that would make WWI Germany shake their heads and say, "Wow, and I thought WE got a raw deal."

Don't be. I can assure you, the large majority of Arcaea does not agree with any peace at all. One sacrifice, however noble, does not undo RL years of war, torturing, looting and treaty breaking.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 02, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
Easy there, killer. At the moment I'm annoyed by the folks who are dancing on Caergoth's grave and yes, they do know that. But it's interesting that people from CE or Arcaea feel the need to get defensive about it. Obviously I'm not the first person to rant about this kind of thing.

I play in other realms as well, thank you very much. You can see them in my forum signature. :)
------
qui audet vincit

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 02, 2012, 08:58:03 PM »
It's not our fault that most of Atamara sees Caergoth as a laughing stock. What happens to you now is what you brought upon yourselves :)