Author Topic: IR - Choosing one's own class/Realm themes  (Read 23108 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
IR - Choosing one's own class/Realm themes
« Topic Start: January 31, 2012, 05:25:07 AM »
So, I am wondering about how a particular situation may be thought of in relation to the IR. One of my characters, and many players in the realm that I play in are quite bored and I have been trying to think of something which could increase the fun and interaction for the characters and players involved.

One idea that came to me was that of a realm theme. Realm themes have been used in the past to give specific realms particular feels of RP as well as in game intent of actions which allows the players to more easily RP and develop character interaction. (Examples include: Darka as a mercenary realm, and Vikings in Norland/BoM on Atamara)

So, the idea that I was considering was that of a politically neutral infiltrator/assassin realm. The idea would be that it would be perhaps a theocracy dedicated towards some sort of religion based around a "death god". Being an infiltrator and carrying out assassinations would be considered a type of worship in this religion. The religion would be open to nobles of all classes, but advancement would be limited depending upon whether one was an infiltrator or Priest, or otherwise.

In addition, the realm would be open to nobles of any and all classes, but the roles that they would fulfill would simply be different than they may find in other realms if they were the same class.

Infiltrators would receive increased funding, and governmental protection as well as working directly as the sort of "military" of the realm, as the government would take private contracts from individuals up to realm governments and then the realm would choose infiltrators specifically for each contract to carry out.

Courtiers would operate pretty much the same as they do now, caring for the realm regions and otherwise.

Traders would also be able to operate the same as now, to bring food and gold into the realm and could receive extra government funding if needed.

Priests would be operating under the religion of the government to spread the religion and gain firm hold over the peasantry, but would also be revered somewhat by the realm on a similar level as infiltrators.

Warriors are really the only class which would operate significantly different. The realm would not operate an army in the same way that all other realms currently do. Those who chose to be warriors would be free to do so, but receive somewhat less funding than those who took the infiltrator path. These warriors could act as mercenaries for other realms or simply go and fight alongside foreign armies as they chose.

I'm not sure how such a situation would be looked upon and if this would be considered any type of IR breach. My gut instinct is that since each player is still free to choose their own class, but would simply operate in a different manner than if they were that class in another realm, that it would be acceptable. But, I do want to know ahead of time, because taking such a course of action and then apparently breaking a rule in doing so would not be good.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: IR - Choosing one's own class/Realm themes
« Reply #1: January 31, 2012, 05:37:25 AM »
So, I am wondering about how a particular situation may be thought of in relation to the IR. One of my characters, and many players in the realm that I play in are quite bored and I have been trying to think of something which could increase the fun and interaction for the characters and players involved.

One idea that came to me was that of a realm theme. Realm themes have been used in the past to give specific realms particular feels of RP as well as in game intent of actions which allows the players to more easily RP and develop character interaction. (Examples include: Darka as a mercenary realm, and Vikings in Norland/BoM on Atamara)

So, the idea that I was considering was that of a politically neutral infiltrator/assassin realm. The idea would be that it would be perhaps a theocracy dedicated towards some sort of religion based around a "death god". Being an infiltrator and carrying out assassinations would be considered a type of worship in this religion. The religion would be open to nobles of all classes, but advancement would be limited depending upon whether one was an infiltrator or Priest, or otherwise.

In addition, the realm would be open to nobles of any and all classes, but the roles that they would fulfill would simply be different than they may find in other realms if they were the same class.

Infiltrators would receive increased funding, and governmental protection as well as working directly as the sort of "military" of the realm, as the government would take private contracts from individuals up to realm governments and then the realm would choose infiltrators specifically for each contract to carry out.

Courtiers would operate pretty much the same as they do now, caring for the realm regions and otherwise.

Traders would also be able to operate the same as now, to bring food and gold into the realm and could receive extra government funding if needed.

Priests would be operating under the religion of the government to spread the religion and gain firm hold over the peasantry, but would also be revered somewhat by the realm on a similar level as infiltrators.

Warriors are really the only class which would operate significantly different. The realm would not operate an army in the same way that all other realms currently do. Those who chose to be warriors would be free to do so, but receive somewhat less funding than those who took the infiltrator path. These warriors could act as mercenaries for other realms or simply go and fight alongside foreign armies as they chose.

I'm not sure how such a situation would be looked upon and if this would be considered any type of IR breach. My gut instinct is that since each player is still free to choose their own class, but would simply operate in a different manner than if they were that class in another realm, that it would be acceptable. But, I do want to know ahead of time, because taking such a course of action and then apparently breaking a rule in doing so would not be good.

Can't see a problem myself, at least with respect to the IR.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 31, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
Me neither. Just don't tell anyone they have to be a certain class for any reason.

In fact, I would also stay away from telling people things along the lines of "You will get less gold if you are a warrior". Just make it a policy to give the infiltrators more money and advertise that fact. No need to put it any other way.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 31, 2012, 06:36:50 AM »
Me neither. Just don't tell anyone they have to be a certain class for any reason.

In fact, I would also stay away from telling people things along the lines of "You will get less gold if you are a warrior". Just make it a policy to give the infiltrators more money and advertise that fact. No need to put it any other way.

Exactly. In most realms no one says, infils will get less gold, hell if they find the right sponsor there is often tons of gold available. What people do is to make a realm policy of supporting those warriors on the front line. If your main money holders, IE Dukes are behind funding infils, then it will just happen.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 31, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
This sound almost similar to Assassins realm on Colonies island. The realm where all, if not, most infiltrators who have been deported from other islands go to  ;)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 31, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
It sounds remarkably similar to the realm that Arcaea intends to set up on the Darke Isle on FEI when they finally finish off Arcachon. It is an ideal place for it. The physical isolation will be important. Infiltrators have a nasty habit of making people angry. I'm not so sure you could pull it off with a realm that is exposed to their neighbors as much as is usual.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 31, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
Positive incentives to make less-popular classes more used are fine, IMHO.

So, "Change your class!" is not fine, but, "I will give you twice as big an oath if you become an infiltrator," seems fine.

Or, rather, maybe, "I will give someone a bigger oath if they become an infiltrator," so that it's not a specific individual.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #7: January 31, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
If you want to do this, just go join the Assassins. They could use more players.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 31, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
It sounds remarkably similar to the realm that Arcaea intends to set up on the Darke Isle on FEI when they finally finish off Arcachon. It is an ideal place for it. The physical isolation will be important. Infiltrators have a nasty habit of making people angry. I'm not so sure you could pull it off with a realm that is exposed to their neighbors as much as is usual.

I'm not sure that plan is all that functional right now. Arcaea has lost a lot of the core infil characters and the war has dragged on for so long I don't even know which colonist are left.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 01, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
Positive incentives to make less-popular classes more used are fine, IMHO.

So, "Change your class!" is not fine, but, "I will give you twice as big an oath if you become an infiltrator," seems fine.

Or, rather, maybe, "I will give someone a bigger oath if they become an infiltrator," so that it's not a specific individual.

Offering gold to people as an incentive to try and get more of a certain class is a specifically allowed activity.  Hell, there used to be an option in the old tax system to assign weights to classes.  I really miss the old tax system some days...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 01, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
It sure did fuel some massive war machines, didn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 01, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
I'm doubting if such realm would be viable, though. Sure, assasins have their use, but not so in great numbers. Think of an army consisting of only shock troops, or an FPS crew of only snipers ...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: February 01, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
I'm doubting if such realm would be viable, though. Sure, assasins have their use, but not so in great numbers. Think of an army consisting of only shock troops, or an FPS crew of only snipers ...

I feel we're forgetting counter-strike here...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 01, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »

It is viable. What you need though is VERY good diplomacy. The idea of setting up such a realm on the north island of FEI was viable for example, because Arcaea was willing to shield the realm. Thing might change of course, but that is the nature of diplomacy. Depending on the cultures of the island, once you get a reputation for being impartial and taking all reasonable bounties, you might just carve a niche for yourself.

The thing to consider is that the realm would need a vibrant internal culture. Often the infils might not be needed by other powers, so you are going to need something to do, realm RP, infighting whatever.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 02, 2012, 03:35:46 AM »
so you are going to need something to do, realm RP, infighting whatever.

Stabbing contests?

Spin the poisoned dagger?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner