Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 210804 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #15: March 14, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
I could be mistaken as I am not involved at all in the GMing process, but I do have some confidence that before every GM is let loose with their special accounts, Tom or someone high up gives them a set of instructions about what to do/act/say in general.

A general set of rules, yes, but it doesn't cover a (sufficient) history lesson on what went on beforehand.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #16: March 14, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
Well, if you'd like some realism...

Sometimes it happens that the next group that goes in has very little idea about what happened to the ones that went in before them save for "They went there before you." Maybe the same goes for the daimons? The Elders might have gone to Daimon group A and said "Go to the human world." Group A loses contact with the Netherworld Elders, so they tell group B "Group A disappeared. You're up next. Go."

I am pretty sure this stuff happens in real life more often that we might want to believe. For example, when I took over the duties of my predecessor at work, I was told what I had to do but nothing about what went on before that.

Another take on it is maybe the daimons don't care about humans at all and would give about as much thought to their actions against them as a human would to the many bacteria they kill by washing their hands.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 14, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Well, if you'd like some realism...

Sometimes it happens that the next group that goes in has very little idea about what happened to the ones that went in before them save for "They went there before you." Maybe the same goes for the daimons? The Elders might have gone to Daimon group A and said "Go to the human world." Group A loses contact with the Netherworld Elders, so they tell group B "Group A disappeared. You're up next. Go."

I am pretty sure this stuff happens in real life more often that we might want to believe. For example, when I took over the duties of my predecessor at work, I was told what I had to do but nothing about what went on before that.

Another take on it is maybe the daimons don't care about humans at all and would give about as much thought to their actions against them as a human would to the many bacteria they kill by washing their hands.

Your attempts to banalize and justify the phenomenon greatly irritate me. You are justifying the unjustifiable. And your suggestion is completely absurd and non-feasible: contact with netherworld was always RPed as maintained on BT, and it would have caused a reaction between the original and the new group anyways, more than just a transfer of the titles to the more active daimon leaders (while the others are there and passively pass it on).

We aren't talking about about some small office where the boss leaves for the summer. We are talking about freakin' daimons, undeas. Immortals beings from extremely disciplined societies. Usually, it's not just new chars replacing the old, it's the same character having simply forgotten everything that happened.

Your suggestions just go completely against set and following RP. This isn't about some office worker getting replaced and it's nothing like a realm just electing a new ruler.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #18: March 14, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Good gosh, and I suppose *you* would know what the set and established RP must be for all daimons? Please give me a break.

I am presenting ways to think about the situation to make you feel better, yet you seem hellbent on keeping to your negative assumptions. We want to stay positive.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 14, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Good gosh, and I suppose *you* would know what the set and established RP must be for all daimons? Please give me a break.

I am presenting ways to think about the situation to make you feel better, yet you seem hellbent on keeping to your negative assumptions. We want to stay positive.

People who try to make people feel better without knowing the facts (or by blatantly disregarding them) annoy me to a point words cannot describe. It's selling an illusion. It's saying "instead of improving things, let's just pretend everything is perfect as is". This kind of attitude is why we've got so much !@#$ in the world, because too many people prefer to act as if nothing's wrong instead of growing some balls and saying/doing something about it. This is just a game, and I enjoy it regardless of the aspects I think could/should be improved, but I completely despise your attitude.

I don't know *all* established daimon RP. But I've interacted a lot with them since day one. All of them. I will never know everything, but I refuse to simply discard the many hundreds of RPs, messages, and OOC exchanges with them and to start over whenever a new guy is put in charge.

The number 1 rule of roleplaying is to make things feel real. And the number 1 rule for that is consistency. For a game that advertises being a combination of warfare and roleplaying, I feel that it would not be asking too much to ask that GM factions maintain a minimum of consistency by applying a few extremely simple, easy, and quick measures.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #20: March 14, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »
How about you take everything you said to me and send it over to Tom or a GM then? If you're that interested, and it sounds like you are, then you should have no problem with taking the steps that might lead to actual change more so than talking about it on the forums.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 14, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
How about you take everything you said to me and send it over to Tom or a GM then? If you're that interested, and it sounds like you are, then you should have no problem with taking the steps that might lead to actual change more so than talking about it on the forums.

There is no mailing list for the GMs.

This has been discussed on the d-list before, which Tom was subscribed to, and which he therefore theoretically should have received. They are busy and I suspect with the nature of how they work, it wasn't too hard for the matter to slip into the cracks of forget. The multitude of short and long-term interests probably overshadowed these ideas.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #22: March 14, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
Then go email him about it if you're really that serious.

Now, to get back on topic in this forum about the Zuma...

Each of the regions has a wiki page too, so please check them out. As most people on Dwi probably know by now, they are led by daimons, though there are older reports of them leading monsters and maybe undead.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 14, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
Then go email him about it if you're really that serious.

Now, to get back on topic in this forum about the Zuma...

Each of the regions has a wiki page too, so please check them out. As most people on Dwi probably know by now, they are led by daimons, though there are older reports of them leading monsters and maybe undead.

Monsters and undead? Where the hell did you get that?

In all of my voyages there, never seen anything to hint this.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #24: March 14, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Talk:Dwilight_Daily/2008/September/8

There you can see Vates clearly leading monsters.

For a more anecdotal one about undead, which may or may not be reliable:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Sanguine_Times/Issue_11#Daimons
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:35:17 PM by Artemesia »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 14, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Talk:Dwilight_Daily/2008/September/8

Ah yes, that. Forgot about that, plus I misread your message as "lead *by* monsters". They did have monsters as troops for a while in the early days (didn't re-see this later on, though I haven't interacted much with them lately), but their leaders were never RPed as such.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 14, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
Let's stop trolling already :) Ilike the idea of a bunch of weirdo's stirring up Dwilight :) Too bad they're not annoying PeL though :p

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #27: March 15, 2011, 12:43:54 AM »
Conflict should come from the players' side anyway. As for the Zuma, they're nothing encountered before, different from Invasion daimons, different from...well, everything really. I think an old Dlist post around 2008 when they were first spotted had some input from one of the GMs as well regarding the topic.

Really, there's a good reason why they don't show up on the map. Surely there are folk tales about horrible beings that stalk the night told from traveler to traveler? It is often said as well, that fragments of an image hardly make sense without knowledge of what the full image looks like.

To these ends, I ask that we all agree from this point on to recognize that, unless we are among those who actually were provided with the "real" plans about the Zuma, whatever we say or think we know is simply what we have been provided. And there is no guarantee that we humans aren't being strung along by the daimons, so please keep that in mind as well.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 15, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
Oh yeah, that. Well that'll be an interesting mystery, huh?  ::)

....... Does no one really remember? Nightling Balewind, the Madinan Duchess of Paisly, convinced them to raise Paisly in retribution for D'Hara taking the city.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 15, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »
For a more anecdotal one about undead, which may or may not be reliable:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Sanguine_Times/Issue_11#Daimons

This happened two months after the invasion on Paisly I just mentioned. In THAT incident there were no undead, and I have a feeling it was that incident that is being mentioned.