Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 212831 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #30: March 18, 2011, 07:04:10 AM »
In my experience with the Zuma (and I've had a fair amount of it) they are annoying, but properly so. It's something interesting and unique. Having the Zuma has made Terran much more fun for me, as it adds spice. The Zuma aren't a human realm with human objectives. They are a weird realm with unclear objectives.

My main beef with the Zuma is that there is only one contact point of note, Garrett. I'd like to see more "Ambassadors of the Zuma" since Garret is impetuous and annoying.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 18, 2011, 07:08:07 AM »
In my experience with the Zuma (and I've had a fair amount of it) they are annoying, but properly so. It's something interesting and unique. Having the Zuma has made Terran much more fun for me, as it adds spice. The Zuma aren't a human realm with human objectives. They are a weird realm with unclear objectives.

My main beef with the Zuma is that there is only one contact point of note, Garrett. I'd like to see more "Ambassadors of the Zuma" since Garret is impetuous and annoying.

Mmm yes I've noticed that about Garret, though not in his capacity as an Ambassador for the Zuma. Kinda pointless to have a ambassador for something that seems so fun, if the ambassador turns people of engaging in the story line. Annoying characters done well can be a lot of fun, but frankly most end up being annoying to both the other characters and the other players.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 18, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Mmm yes I've noticed that about Garret, though not in his capacity as an Ambassador for the Zuma. Kinda pointless to have a ambassador for something that seems so fun, if the ambassador turns people of engaging in the story line. Annoying characters done well can be a lot of fun, but frankly most end up being annoying to both the other characters and the other players.

How do you know part of his purpose isn't to keep people from getting too interested in engaging with the Zuma?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 18, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
How do you know part of his purpose isn't to keep people from getting too interested in engaging with the Zuma?

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but if it is, he fails utterly, because he is constantly dropping hints, making sniping comments in guilds, etc, etc. If his job is as a bouncer, he's bad at it, since he actively negotiates treaties and agreements.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #34: March 18, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
How do you know if my character has any set purpose to do with the human realms? For that matter, how do you know the Zuma even have a purpose?

I've given a more involved large-scale RP (done by my own accord, and by my own efforts mind you) around Thanksgiving. Since then very few people showed up, and there has been nothing I've come up with in that time. Give me a little break, this isn't that easy, especially when I don't know exactly what the Zuma plan to do either. And if the GM wants to interact with you, he will do so. I will leave you to wonder whether there is any intention to have interaction though.

So sorry if some of you are turned off by my character's remarks, though I have no idea what exactly you find so...annoying. I'll put it very bluntly, his language is much more pallative than the daimons' I would imagine. And no, I won't explain. You can go try talking to Garret if you think you can stand whatever it is you don't like about him long enough.  ;D

However, it seems like there has to be a little clarification about the treaties since there is apparently OOC confusion as well. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the IC message since I was actively trying to make Haktoo's words sound nicer. The treaties are for the humans to understand clearly what they said, but they mean nothing to the daimons. It is a way for the humans to feel a bit better about whatever it is they think they know about the Zuma. To paraphrase/quote Haktoo: "What would they do if we chose to march on them? War us? We would simply destroy them." Not that they would, mind you...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:46:18 PM by Artemesia »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #35: March 19, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
I find Garret's sardonic comments to be quite amusing, actually. I especially liked it when he disparaged that one headstrong noble who was yelling his lungs out for the Zuma to come face him. Good use of a sarcastic tone.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #36: March 19, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »
Well, he is still human, and he has always been pretty sharp against people he doesn't respect/like. I think he's only spoken absolutely civilly to Mathurin (Prophet of SA, I think Garret's never been sarcastic to him before), Keichus (Hyral, I think he just bound her and made her chase after hongrns), and daimons (for obvious reasons of self-preservation).

I'll also admit that I may know less about the Zuma and the daimons than some of you. However, I'm not sure how many know just how scary the daimons are. Vates appears to have been a rare exceptionally nice daimon who was tolerant of humans.

So I'll just repeat again: Daimons are really scary.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:55:12 AM by Artemesia »

Zakilevo

« Reply #37: March 19, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
So the Zuma has same power as daimons in the fourth invasions or are they just human players saying they are daimons?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #38: March 19, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
A mix of the two, from what I have observed. I'm pretty sure they can do the flying thing and have the exceptionally high CS from Daimon spawn. On the other hand, they tend to be content just sitting back and watching the other realms go about their business.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 19, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
So the Zuma has same power as daimons in the fourth invasions or are they just human players saying they are daimons?

No, and no.

The Zuma are played by a GM player, but they are not like the BT daimons.  They are different.

And to be honest, that's about all I know about them  ;)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 21, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
I seem to recall they have lead human like troops before as well instead of just Daimons, Tribesmen from the lands they hold. When I was in D'Hara and we were negotiating with them to first start the Ayslon colony, they implied that there were very few of their kind in the area, but that they acted as overlord of the human tribes in the area. As I understood it each region has/had a tribe (named after the region in the few cases we were given) and each tribe was ruled by one Zuma.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 21, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »
And to be honest, that's about all I know about them  ;)

My 'LIE' indicators just went of the scale  :P

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 21, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
My 'LIE' indicators just went of the scale  :P

No, it's real OOC truth.  I know a bit more about what the mechanics behind the Zuma are, but I've never read any of the accounts of people who've gotten close to them and talked to them.

For the inside scoop, you need to talk to Artemesia.  He's their ambassador, after all.
Timothy Collett

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #43: March 21, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
ICly please. I'm not saying anything more OOCly about them. For publicly available information, all the Zuma regions have wiki pages, and the realm has a (sort of) wiki page as well.

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 22, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »
For the inside scoop, you need to talk to Artemesia.  He's their ambassador, after all.

and 'scoop' him, I will!  8)