Author Topic: Beyond the Blight - Paperback  (Read 25238 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Beyond the Blight - Paperback
« Topic Start: January 31, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
I'm working with Createspace to get an actual paperback book of Beyond the Blight published.

Based on sales numbers from the e-book (abysmal, to be honest), I've decided that this is basically a collectors item, so it will be 70 pages, colour print, I've designed a new high-resolution version of the BM logo and the cover artwork specifically for it, but it will be $12.95 - which I totally agree is rather expensive for a slim book. But as discussed in the other topics, getting something printed in low volume at all is not easy at all.

I'll let you know when it's available. You should be able to order it from amazon.com world-wide, or through the createspace store. If you want to support the game, order via the later, as I get almost no royalties from the former (else I would've had to make it even more expensive).

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Beyond the Blight - Paperback
« Reply #1: January 31, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
What about book signings?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 31, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
What about book signings?

I think for this to work you are going to need to post your book to Tom and have it posted back. These sorts of small order publishing runs usually go straight from the publisher to you. Part of the advantage is the vendor, in this case Tom, doesn't have to deal with keeping stock and posting stuff out himself.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: February 01, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
Exactly. The problem is that I never see the copy you get. Now if you somehow manage to bring it to me, I will be happy to sign it.

In other news, I have just ordered the proof review copy. Once I've seen that and found it to be adequate, printing can commence.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: February 01, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
So if I send it to Tom (In Germany...Hm, it might actually be cheaper to just place the order to his address instead of delivering it to me, and then packaging it again to him...) and send a note saying "It's me, please sign it" with a return address, it'll work?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 01, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
So if I send it to Tom (In Germany...Hm, it might actually be cheaper to just place the order to his address instead of delivering it to me, and then packaging it again to him...) and send a note saying "It's me, please sign it" with a return address, it'll work?

You might want to include return postage. How much does it cost to post a 70 page book?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: February 01, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
You might want to include return postage. How much does it cost to post a 70 page book?

You might not want to do this. The shipping from the US to me for the proof copy is anywhere between $6 and $20, depending on how quickly I want it (fortunately, as it's my first book, they give me free shipping). The cheaper options can take 4-8 weeks for delivery. So if a signature is worth either $40 (both ways) and 2 weeks waiting, or $12 and 2-4 months of waiting, then... uh, I don't know... I've vastly underestimated how much I can ask? :-)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 01, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
You might not want to do this. The shipping from the US to me for the proof copy is anywhere between $6 and $20, depending on how quickly I want it (fortunately, as it's my first book, they give me free shipping). The cheaper options can take 4-8 weeks for delivery. So if a signature is worth either $40 (both ways) and 2 weeks waiting, or $12 and 2-4 months of waiting, then... uh, I don't know... I've vastly underestimated how much I can ask? :-)

Conversely though, if he sends you the book without return postage, he might not get it back.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: February 01, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
Well I figured it would be an incentive, since my dreams for a daimon action figure are probably not gonna happen.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 01, 2012, 03:02:25 AM »
Well I figured it would be an incentive, since my dreams for a daimon action figure are probably not gonna happen.

I don't know, the company that made the Steve Jobs action figure might be up for it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: February 03, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
It is here!

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 03, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm working with Createspace to get an actual paperback book of Beyond the Blight published.

Will get my order in as soon as I have a permenant address (read: next week)!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: February 03, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Will get my order in as soon as I have a permenant address (read: next week)!

It'll probably take a bit longer than that - I found a few minor issues with the proof so I need to update it and probably need to order a new proof. Since shipping quickly is incredibly expensive, I will order a slower shipping option. I took the rapid delivery this time because on the 1st proof they pay it for you.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: February 10, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »
Updated Status:

I have fixed the issues I found, updated the file and have ordered the next proof. Unfortunately, due to the US-Europe thing, shipping fees, etc. etc. this one will take quite a bit longer - it's expected to be here by late March(!).

And, I would like to say "thank you" to everyone who bought the e-book version. You have made this paperback version possible, due to the costs that the proofing process incurs.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 15, 2012, 05:05:45 AM »
... Including the book it'd be about $50 to get it to Germany and back in a few weeks. I could actually afford that.

Seriously though, if we sent one with return shipping, would you actually sign it and send it back?
Like my programming? Become my patron!