Author Topic: Pokemon! (I am totally serious)  (Read 7596 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Pokemon! (I am totally serious)
« Topic Start: March 14, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
With the recent release of Black and White, I am wondering how many of you actually play. Myself, I haven't gotten it yet, but I totally got that Celebi from Gamestop last week. I am still working off the original NDS, but how well would that work with the supposed graphics improvements and battle mechanics in BW? Should I finally upgrade to the DSi? But the 3DS is coming out soon...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon! (I am totally serious)
« Reply #1: March 14, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
"Collectible card games" are evil.

Seriously.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #2: March 14, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
Huh? Not the TCG...The portable video games. They did begin life intended for use as video games on portable consoles...

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 14, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
I only played Sapphire on pc and before that red on those grey, brick-shaped gameboys :)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 14, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
Yup! I've got my DS sitting next to my computer with HeartGold in the top port and Ruby in the bottom port. Of course, Ruby is frustrating me, but I still flip on HeartGold from time to time to fill up some more Pokedex entries. I've not picked up Black/White yet, but I plan to sometime in the future once finances are more in order.

I missed Celebi by misreading the Gamestop date and I've been kicking myself for it. I needed it to help finish up the Johto Pokedex.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: March 14, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »
For me I've got Pearl on top and FireRed in S2. Good ol'Kanto brings back fond memories. But Pearl contains some results of my efforts to obtain some event-only pokemon like the shiny Pichu, HG/SS Jirachi, some other Jirachi (There were seriously a ton of Jirachi at lots of events), and now the Celebi. Woot!

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 14, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
I had a lot of fun with FireRed when I played it and would love a chance to play it again actually. I didnt have a DS when I played it though so I dont personally own it.

Pearl was fun the first time I played it, though I thought it was kind of lacking in some aspects, but my second playthrough was neglected when I picked up HeartGold.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: March 14, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
Yeah, D/P was more or less a test run of Gen IV. Platinum definitely improved it a lot (Not the least of which was the increased surf speed. Oh man in D/P the surfing was about as fast as walking, maybe slower. Coupled with randoms, it made water paths a pain. At least Sinnoh doesn't have the same huge water paths as Hoenn...)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 14, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »
One of my least favorite memories of Pearl was surfing my way up to victory road! I've always had little tolerance for surfing pathways in most of the games since I can only see so many Tentacool and Tentacruel before I get bored, but Pearl took the gold there.

By the way, which generation did you prefer?

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 14, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
A couple of years ago I picked up a Nintendo DSi with Pokemon Diamond on a whim, after seeing a massive billboard for Pokemon Platinum on the way to work. It just triggered this itch in me. Only logged 20 hours or so like (I struggle, I really struggle to stick with handheld games), but sill relived those glory days of borrowing friends GameBoy's for a crack at Pokemon Blue, which was amazing. I was sorely tempted by HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I think probably quite wisely I kept the cash in my wallet that time.

As for the 3DS, depends on the money you're willing to spend. I dare say that fundamentally, the games mechanics and such will be exactly the same. Except if you play on a 3DS you get Pokemon with bells on. Just think, 3D Pikachu kicking pokemon bottom in 3D. Either way, definitely upgrade at least to DSi. It has a wireless adapter, a Nintendo store and you can download an internet browser for free. You also get Flipnote Hatena, either bundled or for free through the store. That's a glorious hidden gem. Plus yeah, it is slightly souped up over the vanilla DS. And has cameras. What's not to like? :D

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: March 14, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
The price tag  ::) Especially because the 3DS is due out sometime soon, and I don't know how much, if at all, the DSi will go down.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 14, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
The price tag  ::) Especially because the 3DS is due out sometime soon, and I don't know how much, if at all, the DSi will go down.

That's the same reason I havent upgraded either. Once I spent the money on the DS I figured I didnt need to spend it again for a few features I probably wouldnt use. I feel mostly the same way about the 3DS too, but I dont really use my DS for anything but Pokemon and a very small list of other games.

I was sorely tempted by HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I think probably quite wisely I kept the cash in my wallet that time.

I absolutely love HeartGold, but Gold was always my favorite game so it was nice reliving the memories with all the new features tossed in. If you're going right for Black/White then I'd say skip HG/SS, but if you are just looking for another Pokemon game to play and you dont want to jump back a generation I'd say it well worth the money.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:54:46 PM by Ender »

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 15, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

Bad times. Still, probably will go down. Although if you wait til the DSi comes out, the trade-in value of your present DS might also go down (if a 'part exchange' route was one you were thinking of taking). Recently, a 'CeX' shop opened near me and I discovered that that they generally appear to put Game/GameStation to shame with their valuations. Got a good price on my DSi, heh.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: March 15, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
I plan on keeping that DS so I have another to dual-wield as I trade everything from Pearl.

Before I used to go to Play n Trade, which was right next to one of the university dorms. They had cheaper prices (Got my original NDS for $40.) but sadly they closed down last summer.

Deytheur

« Reply #14: March 17, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
One of my proudest gaming moments was completing the PokeDex of Gold back on the old GBC, even had Mew, Mewtwo and Celebi and all the Unknowns. Haven't played any of them since then though.

I have a DSL but haven't played any of the pokemon games released for it and no real plans to either, or to upgrade it, haven't really got that much use out of it.