Author Topic: Proudest Gaming Moment?  (Read 6095 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Proudest Gaming Moment?
« Topic Start: March 15, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »
Here's the place where we can brag about all our mightiest gaming achievements. I'll start :-)

Last year, I finally completed Event 51 on Super Smash Brothers Melee. I have a few friends that have/had the game, and only one had managed it themselves. It's hard as nails. You have to beat Giga Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewto. They each have three lives (as do you), but Bowser takes up two/thirds of the entire stage. With little effort at all, he can throw you around like a rag doll. For the task of victory, there was only one choice: Jigglypuff.

After a ridiculous number of attempts and much turning of the air blue, I managed to have Jigglypuff last long enough to sleep everyone to death and succeed. I'd finally completed all the events and unlocked Final Destination, the last (and best) stage in the game. Course, I'd had Melee seven years by the time I completed Event 51 so I'm sure you can imagine my crushing horror when the memory card corrupted just two weeks later. Luckily, my moment of triumph is forever immortalised in a picture I sent straight to facebook that day :-P

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Proudest Gaming Moment?
« Reply #1: March 15, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
Now, I don't exactly have a lot of proud gaming moments, so...

Getting all the masks in Majora's Mask XD I haven't played the game since middle school so I don't have a good sense of how hard that actually is to do, but, at the time it felt like a great accomplishment!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 15, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Completing Dungeon Siege, the first game I played through in vanilla :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 15, 2011, 02:59:17 AM »
completing pitfall on the Atari 2600
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 15, 2011, 04:04:55 AM »
Oh, easy. My first ADOM completion.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #5: March 15, 2011, 05:38:09 AM »
The day I won battlemaster.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 15, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
Ah, no change that: completing Super Mario on the very first gameboy :)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 15, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »
Beating Metal Gear Solid for PSX.

Beating my brother in Tekken 3 with my eyes closed, without taking a single hit in either round. Hwoarang ftw!

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 16, 2011, 03:27:19 AM »
Completing a 3-year story arc on BM that was so subtle, ambigious and diffuse than no-one realised what was going on (to be fair even I didn't decide the 'truth' of what was going on - that was down to the reader to decide) with cryptic historical and cultural references probably too obscure for anyone to spot (how many players know their realm's ancient history, are students of medieval nordic religon and are classic horror movie afficianados).

The story was hidden in RPs, in-game lists, character movements, battle reports and messages to small, but sometimes overlapping, groups of nobles and involved multiple characters and realms.

The cherry on the cake was that the finale of the story required a central character to die in a certain place, at a certain time and doing a certain thing. I am still not sure if, against astronomical odds, the fact that the game killed them.. at that time, in that place and doing that thing.. means that at least one person was following the story and tweaked probability in the favour of narrative or if it was some sort of glorious coincidence. Truth be told.. I'd rather not know but I suspect the latter as the former would require a hell of a lot of insight and some seriously quick and inventive intervention in the game internals.

The story (albiet without the subtlety or pacing of hiding it in-game) is concealed in my family wiki pages for those with nothing better to do but it requires some knowledge, some twisted thinking and some patience to find and, being out-of-game, lacks the impact is should have had if anyone had bloody-well noticed it going on first time round.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:29:17 AM by wraith »
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: March 16, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »
In 2002 I discovered that the NES that had been sitting on the shelf unused for over 10 years still worked. I proceeded to play Super Mario Bros. 3.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 16, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
Beating Halo 2 on Legendary Co-op with my dad.  At one of the high-school graduation events they wanted a list of five things that you were proud of accomplishing while in high school.  On a whim, I put that down.  Announcer said she didn't know what it meant but read it out (after about two dozen people had done two dozen variations on "grades, this class, that class, this club, and my family"), and I was the only person to get a standing ovation the entire night.  Not for the accomplishment itself, of course, just for doing something to entertain.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 17, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »
First, the above post is epic!

Second, for me I believe it was Halo 2 playing multiplayer where you bomb the defenders base.  20 seconds on the clock, we need to bomb the defending base to win the match, the bomb is set, my buddy dies placing it and their currently defusing it, I rush in killing two baddies, I stand over their bodies watching the bomb tick down, the other three members of their team rush in one after the other and all of them go down.  KILLTACULAR EXTERMINATION!!!

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 18, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »
Oh, easy. My first ADOM completion.

This reminds me that I still have not gotten my Avatar of Balance ending... damn.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 19, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
Can't say it's my proudest moment, because most of those have been pushed to the back of my mind and distorted beyond all recognition, but one awesome one came last week.

I was playing Age of Empires 3 with five friends at university, it was a free for all on New England. I was as far away from the water as possible and so disadvantaged resource wise. After peeing off everyone with a cavalry rush to take out villagers at the start, everyone decided to forget it was a free for all and attack me (this started about 40mins in).

About 2 and a half hours of them bashing me, I was still alive, only two of them remained (and they were pretty much gone). We had to go to a class, but the breakdown of the scores put me in the lead with ~2k points, with second place on around 1.2k points.

I felt I accomplished something that day - mainly epic bragging rights towards each of them.

Oddly, we haven't played AoE3 since then.....

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 20, 2011, 03:03:34 AM »
Can't say it's my proudest moment, because most of those have been pushed to the back of my mind and distorted beyond all recognition, but one awesome one came last week.

I was playing Age of Empires 3 with five friends at university, it was a free for all on New England. I was as far away from the water as possible and so disadvantaged resource wise. After peeing off everyone with a cavalry rush to take out villagers at the start, everyone decided to forget it was a free for all and attack me (this started about 40mins in).

About 2 and a half hours of them bashing me, I was still alive, only two of them remained (and they were pretty much gone). We had to go to a class, but the breakdown of the scores put me in the lead with ~2k points, with second place on around 1.2k points.

I felt I accomplished something that day - mainly epic bragging rights towards each of them.

Oddly, we haven't played AoE3 since then.....

Epic :D I recall doing something similar with my mates and AoE2. I haven't played it with them since either! >.<