Author Topic: Cities and Duchies  (Read 31856 times)

Dekion

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Cities and Duchies
« Topic Start: February 05, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
I am using my husbands log on here but I am getting very frustrated with the new duchy and city system on testing.  I have a character Redemption who was named the duchess of Itau and was able to do nothing.  She could not even find an estate in the region, it was as if nothing was there.  She was not able to be named lord of the region either.

After a week of waiting and trying to figure something out someone suggested she step down as duchess, get named lord, and then reappointed as duchess.  That seemed to work!  Excellent.  So she created some estates and changed some tax settings and began attracting interested knights.

Now here is the part that I cannot understand.  The duchy of Itau is part of the Duchy of Via.  However on the region page in information tab it lists Itau as a separate duchy, but the actual region is under the duchy of Via.  The Earl of Itaufield would like to form a duchy of Itau with Itau City and Itaufield as a beginning but he has no option to swear allegiance to a city that is not its own duchy.  Which then brings me back to the point of where it shows Itau as both a duchy and a region within another duchy.

I have also tried to swear Itau to itself fto form another separate duchy but that didnt work either.

The only thing I can think of is to secede Itau City and then reswear to Asylon?  But could I swear back to Asylon and not Via?  I really dont know.  The very weird thing is that a month ago when the new changes had already been implemented a similar situation came up and Itau was a separate duchy, now it isnt.  Any suggestions?

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Cities and Duchies
« Reply #1: February 05, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
I believe it is up to the Ruler to make you a Duchy or not.  He should have the option to make your city a Duchy.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #2: February 05, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
Dustole is correct.  Only the ruler can name a duke/duchess/create a duchy.  Just because you are lord of a city or stronghold does not make you a duke/duchess/duchy.

You said this is already the case?  Then there is an obvious bug if a region adjoining yours cannot join your duchy.  Has it been reported onto the bugtracker?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 05, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »
eh... the duchy of itau can't be part of duchy of via... you are still confused between city and duchy. from the looks of the realm page, you got appointed as the lord of the city of itau (which is part of duchy of via).. and that's it.

if you are dead keen on the name duchy of itau, then get the ruler to dissolve the empty duchy of itau.. .then create new duchy of itau from the city of itau.

if you don't care about the name, then just get the ruler to create a new duchy of whatever from the city of itau.

obviously... a new duchy doesn't have to formed from the city.. could be formed from the townsland... depends on who the ruler wants as duke.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 05, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »
The problem is that there is already a Duchy of Itau, but it has no regions. Once a duchy is reduced to no regions, it can never get more. That is because you need to either be adjacent to a duchy, or in one of its regions, to switch allegiance to it. Since the duchy has no regions, you can neither be in it, or next to it. It will be forever regionless. The ruler can keep it around if they want, to make it an honorary title, but it can never have any income, because it can't have any regions. Or the ruler can disband it.

Unlike the old system, capturing a new city under the new system will not automatically create a new duchy. It is the ruler's choice whether or not to make a new duchy. Lord's have no say in the matter. You can't just hop up and say "We're a duchy now".

If you want a Duchy of Itau with a duke and regions, then have the ruler of Asylon disband the current Duchy of Itau. It is useless as it stands. Once that is done, have the ruler create a new Duchy of Itau based on the city of Itau. That will make the lord of Itau the new Duke of Itau. Then other regions can, if they want, change allegiance to the new duchy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: February 05, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »
Now here is the part that I cannot understand.  The duchy of Itau is part of the Duchy of Via.

Duchies can not be part of other duchies. Only regions can be parts of duchies.

The confusion results from both the duchy and the region being named Itau - but these are two entirely different entities. That is what is new about the new system: Duchies and city regions are no longer the same thing.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 05, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
Duchies can not be part of other duchies. Only regions can be parts of duchies.

The confusion results from both the duchy and the region being named Itau - but these are two entirely different entities. That is what is new about the new system: Duchies and city regions are no longer the same thing.

The confusion also stems from the fact that signature do not yet display the new hierarchy correctly. I can confirm that dukes who are not lords of cities cannot sign "Duke of..."; I am 90% certain lords of cities who are not dukes still sign "Duke of...".
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: February 06, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »
The confusion also stems from the fact that signature do not yet display the new hierarchy correctly. I can confirm that dukes who are not lords of cities cannot sign "Duke of..."; I am 90% certain lords of cities who are not dukes still sign "Duke of...".

Agreed. I've uploaded a quick fix that should take care of some of this.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 06, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »
omg its fixed!

But I mistakenly made the duchy say " the Duchy of the duchy of Itau" and now I cannot dissolve it. Can a Gm help me change the name back to " Duchy of Itau"?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:10:47 AM by Glaumring »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #9: February 06, 2012, 06:09:49 AM »
Doubt they'll do that. 

You'll likely have to get her to step down, dissolve the duchy, and reform it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: February 06, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »
omg its fixed!

But I mistakenly made the duchy say " the Duchy of the duchy of Itau" and now I cannot dissolve it. Can a Gm help me change the name back to " Duchy of Itau"?

It does tell you two dozen times that it'll prefix that, doesn't it? I've fixed it.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #11: February 06, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
You're nicer than I would be, Tom. :p

egamma

« Reply #12: February 06, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
It does tell you two dozen times that it'll prefix that, doesn't it? I've fixed it.

why not put in a simple check of the word "duchy" and reject?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 06, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
"duchy of the Grand duchy of X"

come to think of it.... that could work if fissoa merges....
firefox

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 07, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
Thanks Tom. When I read the thing I thought it said you had to write the whole thing out.
We live lives in beautiful lies...