Author Topic: Pausing House Bedwyr  (Read 4336 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Pausing House Bedwyr
« Topic Start: February 06, 2012, 05:38:53 AM »
I wrote this for Jenred and Arcaea, but I am pausing all the rest of my characters as well for the same reason.  RP will follow.

Heya all. This is something I have been considering for a few months, but postponed because I thought this period in my life with such a drastic reduction in free time would be over at the end of February, and I would be able to dive back in like before. Unfortunately, discussions in the past few days suggest that will just not be the case, and in the best scenario I'm looking at a few more months, possibly as much as another half a year, before I can devote the time and energy Jenred's current positions need to be discharged effectively. My ability to do so over the past few months has, as many have noted to some extent or another (I'm not referring to the current round of protests, that's a separate issue, and one I'd ordinarily love playing out, such a change from the usual lockstep behind him, hehe) has decreased notably, to the point where I was missing letters I should have seen, misreading letters I should have read thoroughly, and making decisions based on that mistaken information.

I promised myself when I took the Rulership that I would never be one of those people who held on to a position I couldn't play properly. I've seen it happen far too many times, and it ruins a large portion of the game. I gave myself some wiggle room because I thought this was very temporary, and we have been so close to fulfilling various plans Jenred has been working toward for, in some cases, three RL years.

That time is now out. So, I will be writing a short RP explaining what is happening to Jenred, and then pausing. I am pausing, because I know full well that if I just tried to step back, it wouldn't work. Everyone would talk to Jenred anyway, and I'd get drawn back in.

That said, I do expect this to be a pause, not a slide to auto-deletion. Once I get various things in RL taken care of, I fully intend to jump back in to Battlemaster (and will probably hop on the forums every so often as well).

Thank you to everyone, it's been a blast, and I'm very much looking forward to have the time to devote to Battlemaster again. If you need to get ahold of me, shoot me a PM via the forums, I have it set up to shoot me an e-mail so I'll certainly see it. May take me up to a week to respond (for the reasons why I'm pausing), but I'll get to it.

Please not, as this is worth repeating...This has nothing to do with the current protests. Ordinarily I'd enjoy that, as it's been far too long since Jenred has had any serious internal dissension. But...When I logged in and say almost two hundred messages, I nearly had a heart attack, worrying about how long it would take to answer all of them and whether I would be able to get more than six hours of sleep tonight because of that...And I just can't do that anymore.

So, have fun, please try not to blow up Arcaea (shaped charges and planned demolition notwithstanding, hehe), and I'll be interested to see how things go.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Pausing House Bedwyr
« Reply #1: February 06, 2012, 05:40:31 AM »
They had to land on Soniel to reprovision before returning to Arcaean territory. Annoying, but nothing to be done. Jenred hated ships, as a rule. Even more so in the past few years because the cold and wet aggravated his bad leg. His horse liked it even less, apparently, as it was skittish while they moved along the beach toward the fishing village.

Beaches full of sand and small (and some not-so-small) rocks are not an ideal place to ride skittish horses. They make it far more likely that your horse will, say, slip and start to fall.

And even if you have been riding horses for decades, if you have a leg suddenly seized by cramps, you might still be able to leap clear of the falling horse...But not, perhaps, in the direction you wished. You might not, for example, be able to avoid that large rock.

Of course, helmets are wonderful things. But they do not remove any of the force, and you can still be knocked senseless.

And sometimes, when that happens...You do not wake up.

Or, perhaps worse, you do...But nothing you say makes sense. Gibberish flows from your lips, and when you impatiently grab a quill to write...More nonsense flows with the ink.

And sometimes...Even the best Healers are helpless.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: February 06, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
Hope your RL issues resolve fast. Duregal will surely miss Jenred  8)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 06, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
Hopefully you won't be gone too long. Arcaea won't be the same without crazy Jenred. Maybe the knock to the head will cure him? After the gibberish wears off, anyway...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 06, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
We'll miss you, Matt. Hope to see you back among us soon.

...Though there's a chance that my own plans for the FEI will be easier to bring to fruition with Jenred gone...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 06, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
We have a saying here: "el que se va sin que lo echen vuelve sin que lo llamen". ;)
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 06, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Even the Driscols will miss Jenred. 
But people would miss you in RL if the game took away too much of your health and peace of mind. 

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 06, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm with the others in wanting express the sentiment you'll be missed Matt,  as likewise hoping it won't be overlong before your able return.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 07, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »
Well you know what they say... While the cats away how the Sundar will play...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Passeri

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 07, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
Aww... it's sad to think of Arcaea without Jenred. Take care in real life!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 07, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »
Aww... it's sad to think of Arcaea without Jenred. Take care in real life!

What do you mean without him?

We will encase him is a solid glass case, mount it upon a regal cart as befitting his station and take him off to war.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 10, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »
Who thinks the war of Pian en Luries vs Solari would have had Pianese winning the war if Matt/Koli had stayed?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 10, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »
Who thinks the war of Pian en Luries vs Solari would have had Pianese winning the war if Matt/Koli had stayed?

Dunno if so much as won, but they would certainly have given much more of a fight.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).