Author Topic: Updating Stable  (Read 28320 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Stable
« Topic Start: February 06, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »
That's where we have different development philosophies, Tim. :-)

I don't think "stable" should be behind testing too much, no matter how finished or unfinished things are - BM is never finished anyways. There are many reasons for this, the most important is that it's twice as hard to learn a game that has different sets of rules in different parts. There is a lot of confusion on both testing islands now for people moving there from stable islands. Requests for oaths, etc. - and time and time again players must explain other players that things work differently here.

Basically: "If it compiles, it is ready to ship", to quote someone famous. Not quite, but you get the idea.

I feel that if people are playing on the stable islands, they have the right to expect things to be more, well, stable.

One thing that makes the players more angry than anything else is when we replace a solid, working feature with one that's incomplete and/or buggy, and isn't finished or fixed within a few days.  On testing islands, we can tell them, "Remember, you're on Testing. That's part of the deal." On stable, though, we've told them that things should more or less work.

If the new dynamic map had been introduced as "New Dynamic Map" or something, next to the existing Dynamic Map, rather than as a replacement for it, I would be all for rolling it out to stable. But it wasn't. It was introduced as a replacement, but one without many important features of the dynamic map that people relied upon, with the old dynamic map eventually moved over to where the static political map used to be.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan