Author Topic: Renaming duchies gets costly.  (Read 3445 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Renaming duchies gets costly.
« Topic Start: March 08, 2012, 06:31:58 AM »
I think the 50 gold price tag is a little much. What happens when someone has a typo? You've either got to live with it or flush another 50 gold down the drain.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Renaming duchies gets costly.
« Reply #1: March 08, 2012, 07:32:47 AM »
Wait, a duke has trouble coming up with 50 gold to fix his own typo for his duchy's name?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 08, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »

I think the 50 gold price tag is a little much. What happens when someone has a typo? You've either got to live with it or flush another 50 gold down the drain.

Yeah it might suck, but the game doesn't know why you are renaming the duchy. 50 gold seems just right to discourage people from renaming duchies more than necessary.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: March 08, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »

Very simple solution: Don't make typos.

When you are spending 50 gold, is it too much to ask that you double-check your spelling? When you, say, found a company and make a typo in the company name, it's also pretty expensive to change it later on.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 08, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
Very simple solution: Don't make typos.

When you are spending 50 gold, is it too much to ask that you double-check your spelling? When you, say, found a company and make a typo in the company name, it's also pretty expensive to change it later on.

Hah! That actually happened to the founders of the company I used to work for—not with the company I was working for then, but with one of the other (basically shell) corporations they owned.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 08, 2012, 07:41:19 PM »
Wait, a duke has trouble coming up with 50 gold to fix his own typo for his duchy's name?

Iashalur's got a GDP of only about 1500 gold, and I just had to rename three duchies. I actually didn't have any typos but I can see that as another waste of gold for people.

Can't there just be moral penalties like when you rename a unit? Its not as if there's a mechanical advantage to a new duchy name.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 08, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
50 gold really isn't that big of a deal.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 08, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
It is when the duchy you've just inherited is war torn and depopulated.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 08, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Ya, I've got to say 50 gold is essentially nothing to my Duke and a lot of others I know as well.

Pretty much if any noble in my realm just asked for 50 gold (or 150 gold) I'd just give it to them instantly. Would hardly even need  a reason.

50 gold for changing a duchy name is smart because it means there is a cost to making the change while not making it that large.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: March 08, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
It is when the duchy you've just inherited is war torn and depopulated.

And you would have to rename it why, exactly?

If you can't afford it, then keep the name, at least for a while. Make it a roleplaying opportunity to explain why the current chaos and destruction forces the clerks to focus on rebuilding and no matter how much you insist, you can't get them to take down the old banners, etc.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: March 08, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Okay.  The renaming cost will stay, and that is the conclusion of this discussion.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.