Author Topic: Semantic Lists in Use  (Read 5480 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Semantic Lists in Use
« Topic Start: February 17, 2011, 11:00:49 PM »
I have converted several pages over to use semantic lists, rather than manually updated ones.

* Realms
* Lost Realms
* Unique Items

All of these lists should now work off the semantic properties. They should not need to be manually edited. But we do need to make sure that individual pages are tagged properly.

Also, I could use some help formatting the lists. Foundation helped out quite a bit to get the flow right. But I'm not entirely happy with the bullet system. There is a conflict with the formatting that doesn't let you use wiki system bullets in more than one column, while still getting a good flow. Not sure I know enough HTML/CSS to make it look good *and* work right...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Semantic Lists in Use
« Reply #1: March 03, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
I can have a look at it, I was working on something similar for religions.

First thing I notice for the Far East Realms, you specify a 300 pixel table column for the realms, and a 700 pixel 4 column element for the lost realms. On a modest monitor, (this one at work is 15 inch) that results in a lot of the list being off the page.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:45:39 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 03, 2011, 03:00:32 AM »
Had a bit more of a look. To split the list into columns Foundation has used the new CCS3 columns property, which only works for firefox and webkit browsers. I'm using chrome myself and can see that when that column property is active, we lose the default bullet image. Foundation got around this by applying a bullet image to every list object, should be possible to do something similar using the BM wiki bullet, but honestly we are making ugly ugly code.

I've used the standard BMwiki image, but here is the catch, I've directly linked to it, so it will ignore the users skin choices. Really I think we need to work out why the bullet isn't being placed when we split the output to multiple columns, but I suspect it is a problem with the browser render engine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:48:29 AM by De-Legro »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 03, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
I only know enough about CSS to get it really wrong while thinking I'm doing it right. If you can do something to fix the formatting, I would be very grateful.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 04, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »
yeah I'm going to have another look at it today. So far as I can work out, the bullets where always on the page, but just not visible. Going to need to read up how that multi column property affects the box model.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 04, 2011, 01:17:36 AM »
Got a working version for bullets here http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/User:Masdus/MultiListTest . What I did was set the list-style-position for the UL list to be "inside". The fact that this works suggest that the text was overwriting the bullets. Another way to sort this out would be to use some padding for the text. What else needs to be corrected for this template? Are you aiming for it to look exactly like the previous boxes?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 04, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »
That looks a lot like one of the intermediate steps that Foundation had arrived at. Notice the "Meridian Republic". On the second line, the word "Republic" does not indent. It goes all the way back to the left margin. This makes lists look very messy.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 04, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »
yup, that was a problem with using the inline feature for the bullets, since they are now inline with the text and text wrap lines up with them. I've completely rewritten the code, using divs instead of tables. The advantage is I was able to get wiki list syntax working, and the bullets displaying without using inline.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/User:Masdus/MultiListDivTest

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 04, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Looks like that version works very well. It fixes the three or more problems that I could find when working on the lists previously. Can you update Template:MultiColListItem and the other associated templates with your code? I'm pretty sure your system does exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks for your work on this.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 07, 2011, 01:13:52 AM »
Update is complete. Just some quick things

• Not sure how this will look on any version of IE, column count is not supported
    Opera hasn't rolled out their support for column count property to the best of my knowledge, but it is comming
  • Opera hasn't rolled out their support for column count property to the best of my knowledge, but it is comming
  • I tweaked things like size of the columns, number of columns for each island. It would probably be nice if the template could handle that sort of thing on its own.