Author Topic: What do you think is wrong?  (Read 36004 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think is wrong?
« Reply #75: April 21, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »
A useless flop who happens to be a noble and if you ever watched Caligula, being a useless flop never stopped thousands of useless flops from running kingdoms and holding positions of power. If Arcacea wasn't so bent on being a powerhouse, they might allow RP outside of dainty romance to survive in a mostly silent realm of over 75 nobles...Wonder why? Its because most of the realms nobles are there to 'win' and 'win' only.

No one stopped your RP's you obviously just didn't do anything to earn the respect or attention of those that had the power to elevate you. Like all realms there are more nobles wanting positions then there are positions and every realm has different ways to decide this. Least in Arcaea you don't need to be a long time friend of the Ruler to get anywhere. We played our character IN character, and it just so happens that Arcaea is a military orientated realm, thus those interested and able to demonstrate military ability tend to get promoted, as that is what our characters look for. There is no need to whine about OOC motives when there is a clear IC reason for being overlooked.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: April 21, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
Ok will accept that then with you speaking so clearly and civil about the problems regarding Sundars roleplay. Thankyou.  I do admit my OOC rant was uncalled for, I had quit smoking around that time and would often go into kind of mental retardation mode. I will erase Sundar.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: April 21, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
Sadly I just checked Sundars RP's are all gone from the list, anyone else able to post them?

Did you send them to the RP e-mail list? I have the last two years of the list available. What was your name/email address on the list?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: April 21, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »
RP email list? I never heard of this.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: April 21, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
It hasn't been very popular for the past few years. Especially not the last year. It kind of fell into disuse. One of the original intents of the Far East Island is that important RPs were to be sent to the RP e-mail list as well. Very heavily used back in 2005/2006.

Archives: http://news.battlemaster.org/pipermail/rpg/
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #80: June 21, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »
What we really need are examples of noble behaviour for the time period. I know that at some times in history nobility themselves were crude by the standards of later "courtly" times, but I have no references that might place when and where this was.

One of the knights who went on Crusade sat in the Byzantine Emperor's throne. His throne.

These guys weren't the epitimony of class here, and the whole point of the Renaissance was an active attempt to distance the new nobility from the old by being "civilised". At the same time knights could generally read and write, so they weren't completely terrible.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: June 21, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »
One of the knights who went on Crusade sat in the Byzantine Emperor's throne. His throne.

These guys weren't the epitimony of class here, and the whole point of the Renaissance was an active attempt to distance the new nobility from the old by being "civilised". At the same time knights could generally read and write, so they weren't completely terrible.

Ah yes, well as much as Renaissance can be perceived as a cultural flow, though. Because by the time the 100-year war ended, all parties involved could not believe that, albeit they distanced themselves from the Middle Ages and made some scientific advances, the worst war in history had just ended (but waged for a long while under their watch).

About how nobles behave: there are some specific books from the Middle Ages that exactly describe the life of the "exemplar" nobility.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #82: June 23, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
Ah yes, well as much as Renaissance can be perceived as a cultural flow, though. Because by the time the 100-year war ended, all parties involved could not believe that, albeit they distanced themselves from the Middle Ages and made some scientific advances, the worst war in history had just ended (but waged for a long while under their watch).

About how nobles behave: there are some specific books from the Middle Ages that exactly describe the life of the "exemplar" nobility.

They could blame a lot of that on the mercaneries though, since many of the garrisons the English left behind in places were in fact mercaneries who decided... wait, the entire campaign of the Black Prince (who in England is thought of fondly, much like the way that "The Black Watch" is one of the most famous British/Highland brigades - a great-uncle of mine in 1936 left his hometown and travelled all the way up to the Highlands to join) was about pillaging the south of France until there was nothing left. His entire army was full of mercaneries, so my point sorta stands up except that they were acting under his orders. They did their own pillaging later on as well.

That said it was the worst war that the French and English had fought, not the worst in all history to that stage.

Anyway, back on topic. The noble "guides" of the Renaissance (like Baldassarre Castiglione's "The Courtier", which was turned by the English from a novel into step-by-step How To Guide) are influenced by the knightly culture instilled by the 12th century troubadours. A perfect example of the archetypal medieval knight however would be Sir William Marshal. On the one hand he was full of all the qualities of knights that were most admired, and even told his squire upon his deathbed that the three qualities a knight must have are Wisdom (to give ones liege good counsel), Fidelity (to your liege) and Valour (the ability to kick ass and take names). He then had a singing lesson with his daughters. On the other hand he also owned a torture chamber and frequented it regularly.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.