Author Topic: Fealty and Homage for Freemen and Villeins  (Read 7169 times)

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Fealty and Homage for Freemen and Villeins
« Topic Start: March 15, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
This is a fairly interesting document taken from one of the sights Artemesia posted. What is important to note about this is that the line between freeman and what we would call a "knight" is far smaller than that between a freeman and a villein. As the middle ages progressed, more freeman either became villeins due to economic troubles and the ravages of warfare and nature (putting themselves into the property of their lord so that their lord was then to be more responsible for their wellbeing) or they became "knights" i.e. had the money and connections to fight and sustain their position.

In posting this document I'm trying to say that the oaths between freeman and "knights" would be fairly similiar. Note as well the lack of any recorded option for villeins to give homage, as opposed to freemen.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1275fealtyhomage.html
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Fealty and Homage for Freemen and Villeins
« Reply #1: March 15, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
Well  I already know of advy's under a personal oath to a Lord or even Knight. Mechanics to somehow back this up would be appreciated though, such as to know where the advy is, easier messaging options and possibly publicly displayed allegiances...

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #2: March 15, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
Well  I already know of advy's under a personal oath to a Lord or even Knight. Mechanics to somehow back this up would be appreciated though, such as to know where the advy is, easier messaging options and possibly publicly displayed allegiances...

That'd be useful to stop judges executing your favourite advy.

Or at least making them think twice.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 15, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
That'd be useful to stop judges executing your favourite advy.

Or at least making them think twice.

Well, I don't want to stop them executing advies if they want to, I just want them to see my nametag on their collar ;)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 15, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
This would be an awsome tool. Because Advy's are the property of their lord, it would be nice for that to be easily recognized. say after their name on a letter it states, (Advy of X region) Then once they become a freeman, it would state (freeman of X realm). that way you can know where they are from.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: March 15, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
Here's Amvaroleia's dog collar:

You are currently an adventurer in Oritolon
owned by the lord of Warmanoras

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 15, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Here's Amvaroleia's dog collar:

You are currently an adventurer in Oritolon
owned by the lord of Warmanoras

I've been meaning to ask, what determines whether or not an advy has a lord? My Dwilight advy was owned by the Duke of Nifelhold (who's name she used to get out of trouble all time) from the start, but my new Atamara adventurer never had a lord...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 15, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
Advies are assigned to the region in which they first appear. So far as I know, that should be the case for all new advies.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: March 16, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
It's a bit strange though because only a few weeks ago Patchy and Talek had blank spaces after "Owned by the lord of"

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 16, 2011, 01:23:31 AM »
It's a bit strange though because only a few weeks ago Patchy and Talek had blank spaces after "Owned by the lord of"

Same with my AT advy, only the space is still blank.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: March 16, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »
Maybe it has to do with the date at which they were created? All adventurers created after whichever day the feature got fixed/implemented get that text, and any before have a blank? Anyone make an adventurer recently?

egamma

« Reply #11: March 16, 2011, 04:18:41 AM »
I had to look up the word, so I thought I'd share. Villein is a serf, or peasant.

Commoners fall into the two classes noted--Serfs and Freemen.