Author Topic: Feature Change: Random draw to tied referendums  (Read 7716 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Feature Change: Random draw to tied referendums
« Topic Start: February 16, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
Do we need this feature? It is always a subject to concerns. Why when we have a tie, this just won't start a new referendum, necessarily with the tied characters?

egamma

Re: Feature Change: Random draw to tied referendums
« Reply #1: February 16, 2012, 05:17:54 AM »
well, if the referendum is to replace a ruler who was assassinated, that would mean that it would take twice as long to elect the new ruler--8 days, rather than 4 (I think it's 4). That would cause major problems.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 16, 2012, 05:35:20 AM »
How about this:

In the event of a tie, a new referendum begins with the countdown of 1 day. This new referendum is only between those nobles that were tied, and all nobles that voted for the two that tied originally automatically begin the referendum with their votes cast in favor of that candidate. Anyone can change their vote during the course of the referendum. This repeats until a tie is broken. (Purposefully possible for it to continue for a long time, because if a real stalemate occurs, the amount of character interaction will increase dramatically as the two candidates try and break the stalemate in their favor. Meanwhile, the realm falls into anarchy because no ruler is chosen, and so they can say that the other is hurting the realm interests by not withdrawing their candidacy)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: February 16, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
Why complicate things? How many serious complaints do we have about actual ties?

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 16, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
How about tie-breakers where you just compare some values? In case of tie, compare prestige, if still tied, compare honor, if still tied, let the clerk flip the damn coin.
------
qui audet vincit

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 16, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
It's fine as it is, but I like a comparison on Prestige, Honour, perhaps even Days in the Realm if those two are tied before flipping a coin. That should probably take care of most cases anyway.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 16, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
Random is perfectly fair.

Literally, because you have exactly as much chance of winning the tie as the other guy.

I don't know what "concerns" the feature might be "always subject" to—I've never heard a complaint, and I've seen it happen many times.

Unless I hear of some actual honest-to-goodness problem with the feature, I see exactly 0 reason to change it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: February 16, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
Unless I hear of some actual honest-to-goodness problem with the feature, I see exactly 0 reason to change it.

/signed

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: February 16, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
I don't know why people complain about tied refer.
you obviously need to work harder to get more votes if you don't want to be tied with someone. send personal letters to fetch more votes. that always works.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 17, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »
Why complicate things? How many serious complaints do we have about actual ties?

It kinda sucked when I lost a tie to a character that had less days in realm, less honor, less prestige, and a lower station than my own char...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 17, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
It kinda sucked when I lost a tie to a character that had less days in realm, less honor, less prestige, and a lower station than my own char...

And he managed to tie you in votes? He must be doing something right.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 17, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
And he managed to tie you in votes? He must be doing something right.

Right, by not doing anything in a realm that liked peace and calm. Clearly the kind of thing we want to encourage, right?

I don't know why people complain about tied refer.
you obviously need to work harder to get more votes if you don't want to be tied with someone. send personal letters to fetch more votes. that always works.

What's telling you that the person wasn't? And that neither was his opponent? Even if you campaign and your opponent doesn't, if you are fighting against the status quo odds are generally against you.

I just find this argument to be very bad. "Work harder" is a lousy reply.

I can think of arguments that would favor newbies over more established characters, and that's fine, but randomness? I really doubt people would chose such things randomly in real life. It doesn't serve a specific gameplay purpose (such as favoring newbies for rollover), and doesn't make any IC sense.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 17, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
Right, by not doing anything in a realm that liked peace and calm. Clearly the kind of thing we want to encourage, right?
If that's what the realm wants...

I can think of arguments that would favor newbies over more established characters, and that's fine, but randomness? I really doubt people would chose such things randomly in real life. It doesn't serve a specific gameplay purpose (such as favoring newbies for rollover), and doesn't make any IC sense.
It's a game. Go with it. Accuse him of stuffing the ballot box. Have fun. Stop complaining.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: February 17, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
It's a game. Go with it. Accuse him of stuffing the ballot box. Have fun. Stop complaining.

We really should add "roll with the punches" into the social contract or something. I really tire of this constant complaining. The dev team is working its ass off to provide people with an entirely free game, in a time where "monetiziation" is the buzz-word in the entire games industry, and all we get is a constant deluge of whining.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #14: February 23, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
We really should add "roll with the punches" into the social contract or something. I really tire of this constant complaining. The dev team is working its ass off to provide people with an entirely free game, in a time where "monetiziation" is the buzz-word in the entire games industry, and all we get is a constant deluge of whining.

Roll with the IC punches, at least. Or stabbings. Or torturings. Whatever takes your fancy!