Author Topic: Idea: Plate Mail  (Read 26814 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Plate Mail
« Reply #15: February 21, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
I don't like this on the basis that I do not think it would be implemented in a way that would keep "plate mail prohibitively expensive." Given a few months of play, it seems like every character will have at least close to a full set of plate mail.

Also, I'm not a fan of the game moving towards any kind of "Hey check out my avatar" thing.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 21, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
I would be fine with it...

If you don't call it plate mail.

It's plate armor. Plate mail is something very different.

Scale mail, chainmail, splint mail/armor... lets get our terms clear.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 21, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
I like the idea. Perhaps add a chance to lose it, if captured.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 21, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »

You mean like unique items? Then is there a need for a new mechanic, given that unique items already exist?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 21, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Or, maybe, a chance to have it destroyed/broken if you're wounded.

That way, not everyone accumulates plate armor.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: February 21, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »
I do not like this idea at all. Unless this will prevent being wounded, it sounds pretty lame.

To me it sounds like another micro-management being added to the game. We are trying to make the game simple right? No need to add unnecessary idea.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 21, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
Or you could lose it in a tournament and then the other guy has an option to ransom it back.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 21, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
It sounds interesting, but let's not make it too complicated. I don't think it's very crucial to the game, but it might be a nice extra thing you can work on.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 21, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Or you could lose it in a tournament and then the other guy has an option to ransom it back.

Both delightfully cruel and also definitely historically accurate,  nice  8)

Mind you I suppose something like that might only be possible in exceptional circumstances, insomuch as those taking part took it as read they were risking it happening, like for instance if a version of the Melee part of tournaments was ever brought in.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:02:39 PM by Longmane »
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: February 21, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
I would be fine with it...

If you don't call it plate mail.

It's plate armor. Plate mail is something very different.

Scale mail, chainmail, splint mail/armor... lets get our terms clear.

There are Plate and Splint Armors and are Plated/Splinted Mail. Lamellar and Laminar armors too, and we could even have Mirror armors. And they can be made from different metals, leathers (both in types and in how they were processed) or bones, and each armor is usually good for something specific, so it's very hard to say that one is "better" than the other.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: February 21, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
I very much like the idea of being able to lose it, but not at tournaments.

This might be the answer for my problem with prison: I've always wanted to make prison hurt more, but be less boring. With the enemy ruler being able to take away your expensive armour, that would be.

To clear out some of the confusions:
  • yes, it is Plate Armour
  • it should not be a micro-management issue. As such, it would not need repairs or upkeep, simply because the hassle doesn't add to the game, and it doesn't get damage or anything. Again, not realistic, but it keeps things simple
  • it would have the in-game effect of reducing wounds - reducing the chance you get wounded, and reducing the severity of the wounds you do get
  • there would be various options and I would make sure that at least one really is prohibitively expensive. I'm thinking > 1000 gold.

Basically, the concept I have in mind is this:
  • You have several "quality" settings. You can have a cheap, a standard, a quality and an ornate armour.
  • You buy it in pieces, starting with the breastplate, then a half suit and then a full suit. Pieces must all be of the same quality.
Half suite is twice as expensive as breastplate, full suit twice as expensive as half suit.
A standard armour is twice as expensive as a cheap armour. A quality armour is three times as expensive as a standard armour. An ornate armour is four times as expensive as a quality armour.
That means an ornate full suit is almost 100 times as expensive as a cheap breastplate. That means I can start the breastplate out at 20 gold or so. If people max it out, I can add a 5th quality, at x5 of ornate, which would come to almost 10,000 gold. There will definitely be very few of those around.

Zakilevo

« Reply #26: February 21, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »
what? 10 000 gold? That is freaking insane? The whole piece should be under 1000. What kind of maniac spends that much gold into just an armour when you can raise an entire army? I do not think armours were that expensive during the era.

Not being wounded as badly will help greatly for those who want to duel other people. Higher chance of survival. How about adding small background history for Ornate armours like family history?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:14:59 PM by Zakilevo »

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: February 21, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
I would rather see unique items being developed in this direction, with armour that reduces chances of getting wounded and weapons increases the chance of wounding someone in battle etc.

I feel that having plate armour that is more expensive than unique items would devalue those even more. Right now many players ignore them as they involve more cost and effort than you get in return.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: February 21, 2012, 11:31:20 PM »
what? 10 000 gold? That is freaking insane? The whole piece should be under 1000. What kind of maniac spends that much gold into just an armour when you can raise an entire army? I do not think armours were that expensive during the era.

Not being wounded as badly will help greatly for those who want to duel other people. Higher chance of survival. How about adding small background history for Ornate armours like family history?

Exactly an insane cost will ensure that very few characters have the full set, which is EXACTLY what is wanted. If every knight can run around in a full set of ornate armour, what is the point? There was a good reason that only the wealthiest of nobles could afford early plate armour. Even when plate breastplates became more common place in the rank and file of the army, they were of a seriously lower quality.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: February 21, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
Better to restrict it by other means then. Instead of having ridiculous cost. Why don't you restrict it through prestige or position? Maybe only kings and dukes should be able to buy Ornate armor?