Author Topic: Colony Takeover on Dwilight?  (Read 11794 times)

egamma

Re: Colony Takeover on Dwilight?
« Reply #15: February 29, 2012, 05:24:43 AM »
Not for those that signed the treaty.

really? It's a 1000 miles from Morek to Solaria, so let's say 500 miles. Presumably Solaria is closer. Still a long walk.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 29, 2012, 05:33:01 AM »
Not only is it far away, the roads are so terrible it takes me several days to go from Sallowwild to Desert of Silhouettes and that is one of the shorter travel times when you are in the desert, though it is only regions bordering the desert I have seen travel times for.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 29, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
Morek marched down to Solaria recently to assist with rogues. Given that BR is only two regions away from the northern most Solarian region, which is also the fastest route through the Alley of Swords it is really not a huge issue. Travel from Remton to Enlod for the Arcaean war would take more turns.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 29, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
Morek marched down to Solaria recently to assist with rogues.
And be assured we won't do it again that often. It's painful.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 29, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »
Still a long walk.
Against a fledgling colony, it would probably only take one trip. Kill off some soldiers, do a little looting, and drive the region rogue, then go home.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 29, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Against a fledgling colony, it would probably only take one trip. Kill off some soldiers, do a little looting, and drive the region rogue, then go home.

Especially with the lack of resources that location would provide.

egamma

« Reply #21: February 29, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
Especially with the lack of resources that location would provide.

...or people keep saying that to keep others from investigating further. There's probably another group of Zuma hiding out there that nobody knows about.  ;D

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 29, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
...or people keep saying that to keep others from investigating further. There's probably another group of Zuma hiding out there that nobody knows about.  ;D

Not really, Solaria have already remapped the area. It did get a decent gold boost, would still be a rather poor realm but no where near the extreme it was before the redistribution. You might even be able to hold the area as a realm now without a sponsor realm constantly handing you gold.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 29, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
There's something about that area that makes people lose their capacity for rational thought.  I cannot stress enough how useless Balance's Retreat is.  You'd have to import food for the entire area: the Retreat, the mountains, all of it.  There isn't enough gold to build a realm or maintain an army.  I routinely beat back cries from other players in Solaria to annex the area.  Because it's so useless, it's actually much more useful as a kind of perpetual monster preserve, where realms can go hunting and advies can always have work.  IC, that's exactly what it is: the hunting range of House Solari, shared with his good friend Busto.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:38:27 PM by Solari »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: February 29, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »
I cannot stress how useless Balance's Retreat is.  You'd have to import food for the entire area: the Retreat, the mountains, all of it.  There isn't enough gold to build a realm or maintain an army.  Because it's so useless, it's actually much more useful as a kind of perpetual monster preserve, where realms can go hunting and advies can always have work.  IC, that's exactly what it is: the hunting range of House Solari, shared with his good friend Busto.

Well there is that too, but maybe someone could set up a hunting lodge in BR :)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: February 29, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
Well there is that too, but maybe someone could set up a hunting lodge in BR :)

See?  And De-Legro should know better.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 01, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »
See?  And De-Legro should know better.

But just think how much fun it would be if it was REALLY the hunting lodge of house Solari, because Brom puts up a realm there....

Granted, I think it'd be more fun if he didn't just destroy it but decided to work with it there. (I guess I'm dreaming though...because that's never going to happen)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 01, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »
But just think how much fun it would be if it was REALLY the hunting lodge of house Solari, because Brom puts up a realm there....

Granted, I think it'd be more fun if he didn't just destroy it but decided to work with it there. (I guess I'm dreaming though...because that's never going to happen)

Show me how you plan to keep a realm afloat that will consume 300% of the food it produces and generate maybe 600 gold—total—per week, and I'll be happy to listen!

egamma

« Reply #28: March 02, 2012, 02:59:34 AM »
Show me how you plan to keep a realm afloat that will consume 300% of the food it produces and generate maybe 600 gold—total—per week, and I'll be happy to listen!

You might recall that Tom deposited 500 bushels in every rogue region. Also ,that there's hundreds of gold in taxes waiting for first takeover.

Long term? Maybe not. But short term, the whole region is an excellent looting target.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 02, 2012, 03:14:01 AM »
You might recall that Tom deposited 500 bushels in every rogue region. Also ,that there's hundreds of gold in taxes waiting for first takeover.

Long term? Maybe not. But short term, the whole region is an excellent looting target.

And that impacts on establishing a realm how? I surely don't need a colony in Balance Retreat to loot the local regions, assuming that Morek, Pian and Solaria haven't already been doing so. You generally need to send a good force in to loot mind you, those monsters spawns in the area can be annoying.

The end result is still the same in the end the realm can't feed itself and has very little income to cover military and food imports.