Author Topic: Maroccidens!  (Read 22121 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Maroccidens!
« Reply #45: May 25, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »
No, I don't. I had Aquilegia as an experience from the start of realm. Long before that I was in Shadovar shortly after they formed.

It's work, and it often doesn't pay off in the end. Most players who don't understand how much investment they must make in boredom will probably not stick around for long. Those who do are fairly fewer by comparison. But this is something specific to Dwilight. I don't think the same would be found on any other continent, due in part to the size and character limits. Having only one noble per family on the continent means realms really need to rely on the interests of many players, and can't have the added help of dedicated families doubling up their nobles.

But that also brings up the point of the many realms on Dwilight. That dilutes the players so that the newer/smaller realms really hover in the sub-20 nobles mark, most of the time, unless for some reason a bunch of nobles from another realm migrate over, or a multicheater decides to take over the realm.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 26, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
What do you mean boredom? There's always monsters to kill. Granted, that can get boring in and of itself, but it's not like there's nothing to do... And progress is measurable. You regions slowly improve, as does your infrastructure.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: May 26, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
It'll be a long while, possibly a never, before there are both enough nobles and low enough frequency of monsters to have any human conflicts down there. Aurvandil vs Madina is more due to the origins of Aurvandil, and otherwise would be an unfruitful conflict for both of them. (It is, either way)

They're spreading out enough, taking enough regions, that soon the monster frequency will start to go way down.  That will help.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: May 26, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
You really underestimate the fun of creating something out of nothing and living a difficult frontier type lifestyle.

On the other hand you're right, it takes a certain kind of person to join one of the smaller realms that don't offer immediate action or an easy lifestyle.

Indeed.

I'd also add that there would likely be strong pacifist pressures in the region. War causes damage and production drops, which in return lowers food outputs and therefore make some people very unhappy.

Not saying war will never happen, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: May 26, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
I've had immense fun in D'Hara fighting for our lives to hold our regions against the waves of Monsters and occasionally the Undead. I guess it differs per person, but it's not like we're not doing anything there.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: May 26, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »
I'd also add that there would likely be strong pacifist pressures in the region. War causes damage and production drops, which in return lowers food outputs and therefore make some people very unhappy.

If the Maroccidens is ever fully settled, I predict that food will become much less of a problem in the region as a whole. This will also largely eliminate the hordes of monsters. It will put the Maroccidens into a similar position as the northeast of Dwilight - plenty of food, not enough monsters to stave off Too Much Peace. Let the games begin!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: May 26, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
Well, I rather battle monsters and start a war for a real reason, than to begin a war simply 'because it's fun'. I like Dwilight because not going to war is an actual option there! (at least for smaller realms, such as Fissoa)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 26, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
The frequent monster and undead battles make it an option for any "frontier" realm, even one as large as Astrum. The realms in the more settled regions, like Libero Empire and Summerdale may have problems, though.  It's their reward for being so civilized that they have the luxury of enough free time to get bored. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: May 26, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
I should clarify too - based on the existing borders and projected borders, some realms will still be short of food, while others will run a surplus. Even more potential for yummy conflict.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: May 26, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Once Maroccidens is wholly settled, there will be an overabundance of food.

Terran will be self-sufficient when fully developed. Barca and Aurvandil will run major surpluses. D'Hara will continue, now and forevermore, to run deficits. I suspect, however, that D'Hara's deficits will be smaller than Barca and Aurvandils' surpluses. Fully settled, I expect Dwilight would have huge, consistent, food surpluses in most areas.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 26, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »

Terran will be self-sufficient when fully developed. Barca and Aurvandil will run major surpluses. D'Hara will continue, now and forevermore, to run deficits. I suspect, however, that D'Hara's deficits will be smaller than Barca and Aurvandils' surpluses. Fully settled, I expect Dwilight would have huge, consistent, food surpluses in most areas.

Once D'Hara reaches its theoretical maximum expansion, it will require about 429 bushels of food daily.

If we limit ourselves to going only up to Qubel Lighthouse (the easternmost net food producer), it will be 408 bushels per day.

If we limit ourselves to what we currently have, it will be 285 bushels a day.

I can't say how much we will produce ourselves, though. I can't make any sense of the numbers available to actually estimate food production. Does anyone know what the formula is? 'Cause my city on BT is about to produce about three times the number on the region page while the adjacent rural is about to make a much lower ratio, and production seems to be at 100% in both (though rogues might have lowered it for a few days in the latter).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: May 27, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
If I recall correctly and the code hasn't been changed...

The number is for five days (from when harvests were every five days, and it's not an easy thing to go in and change all the numbers), not seven.  It is then further modified by the season and weather.  I don't know the whether modifiers, but Kelley has been running the spreadsheets for several harvests in Arcaea and came up with 25% for Winter, 75% for Spring, 100% for Summer, and 200% for Autumn.

So, the formula, so far as I know...Region food number * 7/5 * season percentage * weather modifier * production percentage at each full turn = harvest number
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: May 29, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »

quoted for truth......oooo, wait  ;)