Author Topic: Reworking Family Gold  (Read 23736 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking Family Gold
« Reply #45: March 06, 2012, 04:15:33 AM »
Hence why I emphasized "actually."

At what point did you have reason to believe there is actually an "Old Uncle Vellos"?

From the tone of my first comment onwards, I was clearly being facetious. "Old Uncle Vellos" also hardly reads as a Very Serious Comment. Especially given that my next comment referenced mysterious resurrection and teleportation of a character who, in fact, would not be referred to as "Uncle" but as "Father." Further indicating this was not a logical argument, but obviously a joke. I then clearly indicate the joke, and invent an "Aunt Bessie." Did you honestly believe I was saying that I RP having an Aunt Bessie? lol, really? That seems... I'm not gonna lie, I have a hard time seeing your perspective on this one.

I've not played in your realms so I can't make a judgement of your individual RP, but taking into account the GENERAL level of RP in BM, is it such a stretch to think people would actually do this? I've certainly seen several miraculous resurrection RP's in my time. Even on Dwilight I've had to explain to people why their characters are not vampires or werewolves, or demi gods or whatever the hell they think makes for great RP. A character that THINKS they are a vampire might be amusing, a character that constantly RP's super human abilities is not.

Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 06, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »
I think it is a funny joke, and I hope the GM sees it as a funny joke as well.  It does feel like we have gotten a bit off topic.

Now this.... this is very true.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 06, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Would the GM even have noticed it? It'snot like there's a sign in the region saying "Vellos Family Homestead, ahead 3 miles, on your left". You'd have to go check the player's family page, and almost certainly specifically go looking for it.

Personally, I think it's kind of funny. Silly, but funny. And it certainly doesn't hurt anything.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: March 06, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
Just to get this thread back on topic: I'm fine with changing/reducing the family home features set, Tom, especially if this means the push to stable happens earlier. I do not believe the average player uses these features much. It's mostly us old-timers with the family gold, time, and inclination to tinker with them.
------
qui audet vincit

egamma

« Reply #49: March 06, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
I would prefer for the push to stable to happen before reworking family gold, unless there's some pressing need for it to happen now.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 06, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Just to get this thread back on topic: I'm fine with changing/reducing the family home features set, Tom, especially if this means the push to stable happens earlier. I do not believe the average player uses these features much. It's mostly us old-timers with the family gold, time, and inclination to tinker with them.

Agreed.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #51: March 28, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
While I would hate to see the family home disappear (as I stated before, I like that tie to regions that we have), Family gold has always been useless to me.  At the very least, they should be deactivated/made dormant until something useful can be done with them beyond investing.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: March 28, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
they should be deactivated/made dormant until something useful can be done with them beyond investing.

In that case, the gold should be redistributed in some way to the characters. I wouldn't have put it there if I thought it would disappear.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 28, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
Seems like some changes happened... One of my chars couldn't call on family to compensate for his loss of his estates to the daimons.

:(

Stupid family, I should have them all hanged to let the true family be in charge. It's not like higher-ups never killed their fathers and brothers to get what they wanted back then, either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #54: March 28, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
Seems like some changes happened...

No changes happened

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: March 29, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
No changes happened

Your family is not willing to support you any further, as you are only ever taking gold out of the family chest, and never give back.

I've never seen this before.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: March 29, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
I've never seen this before.

It's not a recent change.

The most recent changes to family gold were back when Thulsoma was still abusing the system, and I don't believe this was one of the changes made then—it was already there.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #57: March 29, 2012, 06:01:22 AM »
In that case, the gold should be redistributed in some way to the characters. I wouldn't have put it there if I thought it would disappear.
Hence why I said deactivated rather than outright removed.  Can't put more in, can't take it out, but it'll remain there for when the system is fleshed out further.  Honestly, I'd like to see it tied somehow to making estates better/building IC structures there.  Along with monuments/statues.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: March 29, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
It's not a recent change.

The most recent changes to family gold were back when Thulsoma was still abusing the system, and I don't believe this was one of the changes made then—it was already there.

:(

Just when I lose my estate and just when our taxes get buggered, I can't call on family aid anymore. :(

It's been so long since I actually called on family aid, too...

I still think it's a stupid restriction. It has absolutely nothing to do with Thulsoma. Weren't they depleting their family gold to have some magically generated for infinite supply? I've got 8888 family gold, and haven't called for support in many months, unless you count investments.

Everyone in the game should want to supply BT with more gold to fight the invaders. Stupid family should be beheaded for daring to refuse to pass gold onto the family members that actually matter and that earned them their luxuries and reputation.  >:(

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: March 29, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

I still think it's a stupid restriction. It has absolutely nothing to do with Thulsoma.

Yes...I did say that.

Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan