Author Topic: Council members' share in Realm tax  (Read 6149 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Council members' share in Realm tax
« Topic Start: March 02, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
With the new tax system, the council members no longer receive any funds from the crown.  Can this be brought back? 
I do not see why the Banker, Judge and General should not receive some of the gold.  What I would suggest is to have the banker once again divide up the gold that goes to each of the council members like in the old system.  Only this time there would be no share going to the whole realm. 

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Council members' share in Realm tax
« Reply #1: March 03, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
Given how the new system works, where would this Council member gold come from?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 03, 2012, 03:30:07 AM »
The ruler's share. The ruler could give set a percentage of their own income as a tax share for the councilors.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: March 03, 2012, 03:44:28 AM »
I think this is a good idea. Too much power focused on the ruler at the moment.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: March 03, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »
I think this is a good idea. Too much power focused on the ruler at the moment.
So for once the ruler has some power and it's a bad thing?

If this goes through, it should be the ruler that lists how much his Council gets.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 03, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
I think this is a good idea, but it should be the ruler who sets the shares.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »
I agree. Perhaps not in all government sstems, though. I can't imagine a Prime Minister doing such a thing

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: March 03, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
The backend system is already set up so that shares for other government members are possible.

But there are other things to be sorted out there, and it's a low-priority item.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 04, 2012, 03:43:51 AM »
Why not have the banker set the percentage that the ruler and other council members each receive? In this way, you create a possibility for tension between the Banker and Ruler. So, while the Ruler should technically be obeyed, if there is disagreement, they could swindle the ruler or simply not do exactly as the Ruler says. If however, the Ruler has full control, this possibility is eliminated.

Likewise, I recognize similar arguments could be made stating that a ruler not granting tax shares to some of their council members could cause conflict, but I see this as less such, because it will be automatically assumed that the Ruler as leader of the realm gets their say in what to do with taxes, should they specifically be given the game power.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 04, 2012, 04:58:45 AM »
Maybe make it more interesting by giving a toggle in the Government options for ruler. 

Next to where you determine the power of each position, have it so you can give them power over royal taxes.

Maybe do the same with something that the other positions can do, or make some actions DEPENDENT on what strength their position has.  A strong banker is given more options, but greater chance to harm.  A weak one has less options,  and less chance to do something productive for it.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 05, 2012, 05:35:03 AM »
Psyche,

This is excellent. This could definitely make the banker game more lively, and applied to the other council positions as well would be wonderful. I think the rewards for having a strong position should be small, but the risks for the ruler be generally disproportionally very much more dangerous. This way you could have the strongest and most efficient cabinet if you also really could trust all of them. Always.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 05, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
I think it should be under the control of the banker because it is the banker's job to be concerned with food and taxes.  That is all they really do.  The ruler should not have to concern themselves with taxes, so long as they are getting their gold.   
The tension and added dynamics seems to me like a worthwhile reason as well.
This does give the banker alot of power, so perhaps some checks on the banker would be needed.  The Judge could always fine them if it gets out of control.  I have never had a ruler character, so I am not sure what they can do.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: March 05, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I think the ruler should be able to toggle it on and off but the banker should decide the tax rate.

This way, the ruler and rest of the nobles will struggle for power. Government members are still nobles and they want fair share of the ruler's gold (probably) but for the ruler it is better to hug all the gold.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 06, 2012, 03:56:41 AM »
I hate the idea that the banker should be the one making the decision as to how much of the ruler's taxes should be going to the other council members. It's the ruler's tax share, and the councilors are the ruler's advisors. What part of all of that makes it suddenly make sense for someone else besides the ruler to be determining how much the ruler has to be paying them?

So, it could generate some tension between the ruler and banker? So what? If all we want to do is generate tension, then why don't we have the ruler set the estate sizes for all the knights in the realm? That would be sure to create tension between the ruler and dukes, wouldn't it?

I'm all for building in checks and balance, and potential places for tension. But they have to make sense. And so far as I'm concerned, this one doesn't make any sense at all.

Maybe do the same with something that the other positions can do, or make some actions DEPENDENT on what strength their position has.  A strong banker is given more options, but greater chance to harm.  A weak one has less options,  and less chance to do something productive for it.
This style of the strength of the positions determining the powers that the positions get, is something that the dev team has discussed before. Tim and I even set forth quite a few of the options for all of the various government positions. If this ever does happen, it won't be soon. Too many other more important things to do first.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 06, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
I hate the idea that the banker should be the one making the decision as to how much of the ruler's taxes should be going to the other council members. It's the ruler's tax share, and the councilors are the ruler's advisors. What part of all of that makes it suddenly make sense for someone else besides the ruler to be determining how much the ruler has to be paying them?

So, it could generate some tension between the ruler and banker? So what? If all we want to do is generate tension, then why don't we have the ruler set the estate sizes for all the knights in the realm? That would be sure to create tension between the ruler and dukes, wouldn't it?

I'm all for building in checks and balance, and potential places for tension. But they have to make sense. And so far as I'm concerned, this one doesn't make any sense at all.
This style of the strength of the positions determining the powers that the positions get, is something that the dev team has discussed before. Tim and I even set forth quite a few of the options for all of the various government positions. If this ever does happen, it won't be soon. Too many other more important things to do first.

Well, this was how it used to be, so it does kind of make sense if you look at it as not the Ruler's taxes, but the realm's taxes. However, I can see how this goes against the whole idea of the new estate system. Then again, I think the new estate system still pretty much has Bankers as essentially useless. But that is just my opinion. I remember someone saying something was going to be done about it but they needed ideas, so this is one of the ones I was thinking of.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."