Author Topic: Dropping Militia on Testing  (Read 6199 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Dropping Militia on Testing
« Topic Start: March 04, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
So, I was under the impression that a change was made a while back that units could be dropped as militia in different amounts other than one's entire unit. I thought there was an option for "half" of your unit to be placed as militia as well as a number to select the exact number of troops to place into the militia unit out of your own. This change happened as there was no need to have to drop one's entire unit as militia but that it would be possible to simply reduce the size of one's unit by placing part of it as militia.

Is this no longer true? I just tried to drop part of my 38 unit on Dwilight as militia but was not given the option as listed above, only an all or nothing disband and an all or nothing militia drop.

Can someone clear this up?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Militia on Testing
« Reply #1: March 04, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
It might only trigger at a certain unit size.

egamma

« Reply #2: March 04, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
Yes, I believe you get that option at 40 men.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 04, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
Well that seems kind of dumb. If you have the option of placing any number of your men as militia, why not let you be able to do that at any unit size? I can't support my number of troops for the next 3 weeks or so it will take me to get an estate, but could support 20 troops for that long. I was counting on being able to drop them down to this number at any point.

Maybe this was an ingame mistake of mine, but still, limiting this to a certain number seems kind of weird to me.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: March 04, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »
Well that seems kind of dumb.

Thank you. Always glad to know what nuanced opinion people have of my decisions.

It makes a lot of sense when you consider that small militia units tend to go away fairly quickly. Setting up militia of such small sizes is pointless. Your scenario is not actually one of wanting to set up militia. What you want is getting rid of a couple men.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 04, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
Thank you. Always glad to know what nuanced opinion people have of my decisions.

It makes a lot of sense when you consider that small militia units tend to go away fairly quickly. Setting up militia of such small sizes is pointless. Your scenario is not actually one of wanting to set up militia. What you want is getting rid of a couple men.

What I'm saying is that the decision is fairly arbitrary, which it unarguably is.

You're absolutely right that I'm not caring about setting up militia, but getting rid of some men. Perhaps if that was a separate feature, I'd be interested in that.

All I'm saying in this thread is that I was unaware of what exactly the feature specifications were. Now I know. I also understand the reason behind it, but I didn't think that meant that I was no longer entitled to my opinion about it.

Sorry if I gave any offense, I understand its your game, and I am just trying to help and gain a better understanding of things.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 04, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
Tom is fine with opinons but when you said it was dumb he found it insulting. If you said you disagreed thats fine but you said the decision was stupid which is rather insulting.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 04, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »
Tom is fine with opinons but when you said it was dumb he found it insulting. If you said you disagreed thats fine but you said the decision was stupid which is rather insulting.

I never said the decision was stupid or dumb. I said the situation/feature "seems kind of dumb." Then proceeded to ask a question regarding how it was implemented. These are two drastically different things. Perhaps I've spent too much time working with the intricacies of English, and I understand Tom isn't American, but there is a difference between intending an insult and wondering about the best way to implement something.

Something "seeming dumb" just means that I don't know everything I could about the decision made behind it. Something "being dumb" is saying that there is no way that a decision could be rationally made in that regard and that obviously whoever did it is dumb.

I guess this is just a widespread problem though, because I've also had a lot of people mistake things I've said in game. I have only assumed they are doing it on purpose because their characters don't like me, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: March 05, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »
I never said the decision was stupid or dumb. I said the situation/feature "seems kind of dumb." Then proceeded to ask a question regarding how it was implemented.

Then I misunderstood.

In my experience, when someone says "this seems to be stupid", he is really saying "this is stupid" in a roundabout way.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 05, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »
Then I misunderstood.

In my experience, when someone says "this seems to be stupid", he is really saying "this is stupid" in a roundabout way.

Yes, it is generally an attempt to weasel out of the consequences of just saying it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 05, 2012, 06:38:23 AM »
Well I do apologize still as I am at fault for not making things clear in either case.

One question: Should I bother making a feature request then about having a method to "get rid of a couple of men." Or would this just be quickly rejected? As far as I am aware, the only current methods to reduce the size of one's unit is to fight in battles or have it lost completely (without using the militia situation with over 40 men.)

Granted, it could just be an isolated issue not worth any time or effort, but my character is particularly fond of keeping this unit around (Due to a +15 captain) as well as extensive RP behind the unit, but also doesn't have gold enough to pay the full unit as he is essentially a rogue for approximately 3 weeks due to the long travel times of Dwilight.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 05, 2012, 07:11:06 AM »
Well I do apologize still as I am at fault for not making things clear in either case.

One question: Should I bother making a feature request then about having a method to "get rid of a couple of men." Or would this just be quickly rejected? As far as I am aware, the only current methods to reduce the size of one's unit is to fight in battles or have it lost completely (without using the militia situation with over 40 men.)

Granted, it could just be an isolated issue not worth any time or effort, but my character is particularly fond of keeping this unit around (Due to a +15 captain) as well as extensive RP behind the unit, but also doesn't have gold enough to pay the full unit as he is essentially a rogue for approximately 3 weeks due to the long travel times of Dwilight.

Too open to abuse. Everyone would just use the feature whenever they are going to run a bit low on gold, say on a extended campaign in order to maintain their captains. You have been declared rogue, the game isn't supposed to be easy for you at this stage. I'm surprised you even had the option to drop troops as militia.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 05, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »
Too open to abuse. Everyone would just use the feature whenever they are going to run a bit low on gold, say on a extended campaign in order to maintain their captains. You have been declared rogue, the game isn't supposed to be easy for you at this stage. I'm surprised you even had the option to drop troops as militia.

Fair enough. And I'm not rogue. I'm a member of a realm. But as I don't intend to stay there, I won't be taking an estate as I'm not sure I'd be able to take an estate in my destination realm if I have one in another or something weird like that. (idk how many bugs are still in the system, so simply avoiding the problem.)

I can drop troops as militia because I'm in my own realm based upon the above.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 05, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »
Fair enough. And I'm not rogue. I'm a member of a realm. But as I don't intend to stay there, I won't be taking an estate as I'm not sure I'd be able to take an estate in my destination realm if I have one in another or something weird like that. (idk how many bugs are still in the system, so simply avoiding the problem.)

I can drop troops as militia because I'm in my own realm based upon the above.

So you swore a oath to a realm, but have no intention of staying and fulfilling that oath? And you call your character a noble?

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 05, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
So you swore a oath to a realm, but have no intention of staying and fulfilling that oath? And you call your character a noble?

Well seeing as you no longer need to actually swear an oath to change realms like you used to, No, I didn't swear an oath to the realm. Swearing an oath would be like me picking up an estate, which I'm not doing.

The better question is everyone else seems to accept this as reasonable as they are well aware of it.

I can only then conclude that this action is reasonable. If we're talking about honor though of nobility, just ask Tybalt about that. At least Malus somewhat did what he said he was going to.