Author Topic: Why visit an estate?  (Read 9947 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Why visit an estate?
« Topic Start: March 05, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
I've noticed that the new estate system leaves no reason for a knight to ever visit their estate. Will this be changing in the future?

I have a few thoughts on how Knights could be encouraged to stop by their manors.

1. Have them run at higher efficiency when the Knight is present resulting in more tax gold.
2. Create an option "host ball". Nobles can be invited for drinks and entertainment. If a certain number of people actually show up you get a prestige boost. If no one shows up you get a message "A few minor nobles attend but no one of note" and you possibly lose some prestige. I especially like this idea because it creates a lot of role-play potential and encourages players to actually visit different regions for reasons other then defending them or looting them to the ground.
3. Make it possible to invest in your estate rather then an entire region.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:43:34 PM by pcw27 »

Zakilevo

Re: Why visit an estate?
« Reply #1: March 05, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »
I believe there is another thread talking about what the new estates system will have additionally.

But I like increased efficiency when knights around in their estates.

egamma

« Reply #2: March 05, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
Hey, I like these ideas.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 05, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »
I like the idea in principle.  I will just have to abandon my estate and set grab one in the capital to get my prestige boost. ;)
The problem is that this will make estates in regions too far from action even less desireable.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 07, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
That's not such a bad thing. The lord of a capital city can only have so many knights before it becomes a waste of gold. Alternatively the benefit could be reduced at the capital for some arbitrary in game reason (the royal administration keeps the city running smoothly)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:12:25 AM by pcw27 »

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 09, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
I believe there is another thread talking about what the new estates system will have additionally.

But I like increased efficiency when knights around in their estates.

Where would I find that?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 10, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
That's not such a bad thing. The lord of a capital city can only have so many knights before it becomes a waste of gold. Alternatively the benefit could be reduced at the capital for some arbitrary in game reason (the royal administration keeps the city running smoothly)

He could give a bunch of small estates and hike the tax on his knights to the maximum. That way, as efficiency is high, he'd get a better income than before. Of course, that means poor knights, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 10, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »
Which would in turn make them want to live in the country where the lords don't tax so aggressively.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #8: March 10, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
Which would in turn make them want to live in the country where the lords don't tax so aggressively.

Which in turn is very very hard for knights to know, find, or even contemplate.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 11, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Not if the rural and badlands lords advertise their low tax rates and large estates which I believe they're supposed to be doing under the new system anyway.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: March 13, 2012, 03:28:35 AM »
Not if the rural and badlands lords advertise their low tax rates and large estates which I believe they're supposed to be doing under the new system anyway.

Agreed.  It will be interesting to see the empirical data once stable and testing are running on the same codebase.  Let us wait and see how the new system functions across all islands before making further changes to estates.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 13, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
I'd say people can easily see which region produces what at tax day...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 13, 2012, 03:49:28 AM »
The reality has been that city estates simply generate more income then comparable rural estates. Unless that changes, estates in cities and townslands are going to be more desirable then estates in rural regions.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: March 13, 2012, 04:33:16 AM »
The reality has been that city estates simply generate more income then comparable rural estates. Unless that changes, estates in cities and townslands are going to be more desirable then estates in rural regions.

What about the marquis who taxes estates at 80% versus the count who taxes at 30%?  It is difficult to tell (not impossible, as you can use the lord/duke income/shares) from the current tax reports as they do not cut out the portion the lord of the region/city take from estate income.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 13, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »
What about the marquis who taxes estates at 80% versus the count who taxes at 30%?  It is difficult to tell (not impossible, as you can use the lord/duke income/shares) from the current tax reports as they do not cut out the portion the lord of the region/city take from estate income.

The current Tax report shows the average knight share, which excludes all the taxes. What more do they need? Of course that doesn't tell you exactly what an estate might offer you, but it would certainly indicate if a region was likely to offer a better deal, at least enough info to check it out. For instance in Solaria I can see that one of the rurals is posting a average knight income of 120 gold, enough that one might start wondering if there is room for another estate there offering that sum. In fact that Rural often has the highest average knightly income :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.