Author Topic: Way harder then this ought to be  (Read 19162 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Way harder then this ought to be
« Reply #60: March 09, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
Here's the scenario:

You make it artificially complicated because you are trying to make a point and I'm not playing that game.

Now if I'm the ruler and I want to take the new duchy for myself, and I was duke of the previous capital city the process is:

Totally not what you make it to be. The real process is:
  • conquer city
  • step down as duke
  • make yourself lord of the new city
  • create a new duchy in that city
All the other crap you list is not essential to the goal you list. You are overcomplicating a process that is inherently very simply. I don't know if you haven't understood the new system or if you're just being dense. But half a dozen people have tried to explain things to you, all of them have no trouble understanding how things work. I'll simply stop at this point.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #61: March 09, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
Anyway I added two scenarios to the wiki explaining how to accomplish duchy formations under certain circumstances that might make them more complicated. They're on the "duchy" page.

Thanks to Fodder for reverting that change.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 09, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
eh...  assuming new region is in your duchy (as opposed to someone else's duchy)

you really meant step down as lord, not duke.
and you don't create new duchy from that region. (unless you fancy being in a duchy of 1 region all of a sudden!)

---
if it's someone else's duchy, then it would get really complicated. but hey.. it's not your land to boss around...
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #63: March 09, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
you really meant step down as lord, not duke.
and you don't create new duchy from that region. (unless you fancy being in a duchy of 1 region all of a sudden!)

If you are also a lord, which you don't necessarily are.

And yes, if you want to create a new duchy, you create a new duchy. Sorting out which regions belong to what duchy is an entirely seperate matter and has nothing to do with the duke promotion.

Of course, what the OP really wanted to do is not what he says is so complicated. He wanted to play a complicated game of power, and was surprised that it turned out to be... well, complicated. Especially after he made a few mistakes and had to correct those as well.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #64: March 09, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Tom, he isn't playing some "game" with you. He's trying to understand either what he's doing wrong, or how to improve the game. So stop treating a player like some !@#$%^& who's trying to take advantage of you, because he's not. It's no wonder we have a decreasing player base, when people get treated like this.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: March 09, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Tom, he isn't playing some "game" with you. He's trying to understand either what he's doing wrong, or how to improve the game. So stop treating a player like some !@#$%^& who's trying to take advantage of you, because he's not. It's no wonder we have a decreasing player base, when people get treated like this.

Or maybe it's declining because of people like you, who constantly try to paint everything the dev team says or does as hostile and antagonistic.

Tom didn't say pcw27 was trying to play a "game" with him.  He said he was trying to "play a complicated game of power" in his realm, with the duchies.

Which is true.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: March 09, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
The real process is:
  • conquer city
  • step down as duke

This does not work. If he steps down as duke, he can't appoint himself as lord of the new region, because then he would be ruler/lord, with a duke in the middle.

In order to appoint himself as lord, he needs to stay duke. But then since he's already a duke, he can't make a new duchy in the new region. So either way, it won't work.

Of course, there's no point in doing what he's trying to do anyway. It's an evolution that simply doesn't make sense. Fodder nailed the situation exactly. Just rename the duchy, if you want, and make the new lord of Gaston a Duke. If the lords want to switch over to the *new* Gaston duchy, they can. That's their own affair, and completely unrelated to the issue of creating a new duchy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: March 09, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
precisely... he's already the duke of that region. he just want to flip the region where he is lord.

the fact that he wants someone else as duke too, based on his old region, is a separate matter.

now, if the newly captured region does not belong to his duchy, then he's a bit buggered. because that'll probably involve some other duke appointing someone else as lord, for that lord to have him as duke, then step down... then he flips region as above, and appoint the lord in old region, then create duchy.

... in short, forget it really.

unless you've already coded the bit about 1 duke giving 1 region away to another duke? ;)
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: March 09, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
No, there is no way for a duke to give a region to another duke.

But, yes, if the new region is added to a different duchy than the one owned by the ruler/duke, then things will get very complicated. Which is fine. That kind of political maneuvering should not be easy and risk-free. Any of the individual things that pcw27 was trying to do are rather simple and straightforward. The entire process, though, is less so.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: March 09, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
You make it artificially complicated because you are trying to make a point and I'm not playing that game.

Totally not what you make it to be. The real process is:
  • conquer city
  • step down as duke
All the other crap you list is not essential to the goal you list. You are overcomplicating a process that is inherently very simply. I don't know if you haven't understood the new system or if you're just being dense. But half a dozen people have tried to explain things to you, all of them have no trouble understanding how things work. I'll simply stop at this point.

You can't do that if you're the ruler of a realm.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: March 09, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
Not trying to annoy Tom but to Gustav's defence he was talking about this not the "complicated game of power" on a different reply.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: March 10, 2012, 02:26:43 AM »
I'm going to call this thread done. It has served its purpose, and were not getting anything else useful out of it.