Poll

What do you think of the use of spying, spy characters, and other such things?

Spying is always bad.
Spying is only bad if it is done via OOC channels. (i.e. getting a friend to join the game so he can spy for you, or passing messages via OOG methods, etc.)
Spying is only bad if people specifically create a character to spy on a realm, or move a second character to that realm to spy on them.
Spying is fine, if existing characters have good IC reasons for it.
All is fair in love and war!

Author Topic: Spying: Good or bad for the game?  (Read 17935 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Spying: Good or bad for the game?
« Reply #15: March 22, 2011, 06:23:09 AM »
Okay, the thread is not about betrayal or treason broadly. It's about spying.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 22, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »
It'd be classed as treason, which is a form of betrayal.

And the treason would be a result of what, oh yes SPYING. Most actions in life will come under multiple designations, that doesn't mean you should pick only one and insist the others are not relevant. If you are feeding information back, it is spying. It might also be treason or betrayal, but it is STILL spying.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #17: March 22, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
Spying IS a betrayal, it's a form of treason.

While Stue was misconstruing his definitions, yours isn't correct either.  There's no an/or.  Spying IS a betrayal.  You were saying it *might* be one.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 22, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
It would depend on the kind of spying. An enemy agent hiding in your country sending back messages is ALSO spying, yet not a betrayal. So in game terms, an advy that I send into your realm who sends back what reports they can, is a spy but is not betraying anyone.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #19: March 22, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Valid.  Though...  How much information can Adventurers gain?  I know priests can't get troop numbers, etc. 

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 22, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
Ok this may be long, but spying is a topic I am quite interested to discuss, and actually wanted to start this very post myself. Too bad Indirik reads my mind.

In a broader sense I agree with Lilwolf. Spying is bad because it considerably reduces the spread of informations in a realm, and having informations is something that makes bm fun. Having been for 3 years in Sirion at war as Marshal then General then Ruler in a realm that constantly had more than 100 players and even 150 sometimes it was imperative to keep things restricted, and even if I always struggled against the spy paranoia to actually broaden military stuff a bit, it was a fact that constantly every time the councils got bigger, leak was always present. This means that in Sirion all the time around 10% of the realm was aware of what was going on. Often even less.

On the other hand spying can be fun and realistic. Again going back to my Sirion experience I must say that giving different orders to the whole armies/loyal knights, discussing plan A within the council and then going for plan B planned only with some few people and things like that in order to confuse and expose spies has been very funny and gave a taste of real war so to say. The risk of leak gives to the whole planning and discussing phase a thrill coming from the additional cleverness required that is quite amusing in my opinion. On top of that spying gives a concrete chance to all nobles, regardless of their hierarchical position, to actually influence a war. Thus it forces rulers to be extra careful: a war declared for a whim is almost certainly disapproved by someone in your realm, and that can turn him into a spy. Realms internally split are thus even weaker than a cohesive counterpart.

The true downside of spying is the rather elevate chance not to be catch at all. There is no price to pay for being a spy whatsoever. You can spy and then be a good noble at the same time, going for a reward either realm wins, no risks at all. This spoils a bit the complexity of the spy phenomenon making it a cheap way to win, and increasing even more its social consequences that are the close mindedness of the realm with respect to newcomers and the scarce spread of information to the nobility. Were there a way for, so to say, rulers and judges to actually have a chance to catch a spy that would truly improve this side of the game, for instance forcing spies to be smart and not giving away some informations for the sake of remaining hidden and keep their cover or perhaps forcing them to spend some time in the realm loyally to gain the trust of the leaders - that would perhaps remain focused on newcomers or troublemakers.

This is more or less my point of view on spying in general. Going to more concrete cases connected to Indirik's questions once again I put forward two spy cases I ran into during my experience (again, in Sirion.)

The first one was back when Sirion was attacked by Fontan, SoA, Westmoor Perdan and OI all together. As some of you may know, a guild for purpose of organizing their huge armies was created in Ashfort and, needless to say, there was a spy into it. Many were aware of that already, because the spy was just the son (or brother? or whatever) of the ruler of Old rancagua, killed by SoA in Pedrera before their realm was wiped out. He disliked SoA, opposed the entrance of Perdan in the war and then spied in order to help Sirion. I would call these IC reasons, especially because the Perdan leadership was quite aware of his legacy, and could have excluded him from the operations on this basis perfectly. In addition, he just reported some broad strategic talk, and not day by day orders by choice, in order not to ruin the game too much - something I approved.

This is a kind of spying in my opinion that is fine and tolerable.

The second one happened recently. A character joined SoA and soon became a Marshal there, and the very same day this char joined SoA a new noble joined Sirion. To make the long story short, they somehow knew each other and the sirion guy started to spy for the soa one, almost immediately after his joining. We first knew there was a spy and took some time to discover who he was, and this was around when he was in sirion since one month more or less, meaning he has been spying from almost the very first day he joined Sirion. I have no idea what kind of IC deal could have been between these chars, but the coincidence joining of two realms at war coupled with the unknown heritage of the sirion one lead me to frown upon the robustness of their ic connections. Clearly what was reported were only day by day orders, nothing else.

This is kind of spying that greatly ruins the game in my opinion, because leads people in charge to doubt about everyone, and invites them to leave armies as clueless as possible about what is going on.

So, in conclusion, to answer Indirik's questions:
1- I don't know. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If spies could be catch it would definitely be a yes.
2- yes almost every time. I liked dwilight because the lack of hate and the one-char limit led to a less suspicious situation. Now it's no longer like that even there.
3- yes. several times risky moves were not done because of the suspicious of spies. On the other hand sometimes misleading orders to the spy were sent on purpose to actually gain something from it
4- as I said, no. I personally don't like even the IC approach to it, that would be asking a realm mate of yours who is bored of the realm or maybe a member of a failed rebellion to come along with you to a certain continent and start a spy network just for the sake of becoming more powerful there quickly.

cheers and sorry for the length.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 22, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
The first one was back when Sirion was attacked by Fontan, SoA, Westmoor Perdan and OI all together. As some of you may know, a guild for purpose of organizing their huge armies was created in Ashfort and, needless to say, there was a spy into it. Many were aware of that already, because the spy was just the son (or brother? or whatever) of the ruler of Old rancagua, killed by SoA in Pedrera before their realm was wiped out. He disliked SoA, opposed the entrance of Perdan in the war and then spied in order to help Sirion. I would call these IC reasons, especially because the Perdan leadership was quite aware of his legacy, and could have excluded him from the operations on this basis perfectly. In addition, he just reported some broad strategic talk, and not day by day orders by choice, in order not to ruin the game too much - something I approved.

Yes, I remember that one. My character refused to work with that guild, because it was obvious there was a spy in the organization. I had no idea who it was. It would have required going through the family histories of all the people in a large, multi-realm guild, most of whom my character didn't know, and had never interacted with. You could probably come with all kinds of reasons that just about anyone would want Fontan or Perdan to fail. Singling out the real culprit after the fact is just a case of 20/20 hindsight.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 22, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
Yes, I remember that one. My character refused to work with that guild, because it was obvious there was a spy in the organization. I had no idea who it was. It would have required going through the family histories of all the people in a large, multi-realm guild, most of whom my character didn't know, and had never interacted with. You could probably come with all kinds of reasons that just about anyone would want Fontan or Perdan to fail. Singling out the real culprit after the fact is just a case of 20/20 hindsight.

Yes you are probably right. That's why I voted that spying is always bad for me :p

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 22, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »

• Is spying OK? Does it add to the game, or make it more frustrating?
  • Have you ever found yourself not discussing future plans in your realm because you were worried about spies?
  • Have you ever had your military plans frustrated because you knew someone in the army was sending your orders straight to your enemies?
  • Is it OK to search OOC for people that are willing to do it? i.e. asking an RL friend to do it, or asking on IRC if someone will move a character to an enemy realm to become a spy.

1. Of course it's okay.  It also adds a lot of frustration to the game.  As others have said, it's just a part of life in BM.

2. Yes.  This is when spying starts to interfere with attempts to involve more players and promote a better experience for everyone.  If everyone were to stop spying tomorrow, the game would probably be a much better place.  There are also people who don't understand the idea of non-competitive play and will use spying to disastrous effect.

3. Yes.  Who hasn't?

4. I used to think that any kind of OOC brainstorming, coordination, or discussion was bad.  I've grown out of that opinion.  Indirik (and others) said that spying can really have an impact on trust within the game.  I agree, but I also think trust is a far more basic problem.  Realms can barely function when trust is lacking.  Things like IRC, the forums, and the d-list allow people to find like-minded players and gain an understanding of (if not always an appreciation for) opposing viewpoints.  That helps build trust.  Communication, action, and anything that can be done IC should be done IC.  Hashing out a realm concept, planning a religion, anything that requires notes or graph paper... these kinds of things should take place in whatever environment is most conducive to them.

Something should also be said about players in positions of power who claim to be disdainful of the practice of spying: they're almost always full of crap.  There are two ways to survive for any length of time as a ruler.  The first is by spying, the second is by setting up alliances and client states in such a way as to starve a continent of fun.  I think the latter is far more harmful to the game than the latter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:56:20 PM by Solari »

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 22, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »
Something should also be said about players in positions of power who claim to be disdainful of the practice of spying: they're almost always full of crap.  There are two ways to survive for any length of time as a ruler.  The first is by spying, the second is by setting up alliances and client states in such a way as to starve a continent of fun.  I think the latter is far more harmful to the game than the latter.

What about having ass kicking armies that make sure enemies don't get near enough to beat the hell out of you?

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 22, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
What about having ass kicking armies that make sure enemies don't get near enough to beat the hell out of you?

Also worth mentioning, yes.  Of course, if I could throw 120 nobles at a wall, I'm sure several would eventually make a hole in it.  ;)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 23, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
I think the latter is far more harmful to the game than the latter.

I dunno, I personally prefer the latter.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 23, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »
Spying IC: Good. It allows for a level of depth other games lack. Creating networks to gather information, share it, and act upon it is what our human society has accepted from one end of the Earth to the other for as long as we've stood upright.

Spying OOC: Terrible. Anyone who does so should be immediately punched in the face repeatedly.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 23, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
I dunno, I personally prefer the latter.

XD

And now it's too late to correct it.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 05, 2011, 04:02:18 AM »
I think spying is great for the game, look at what happened in Westmoor recently.  It brought down a King, and they even managed to point the finger at the other guy!  Reminds me of the good ole days when Oligarch had spies in Fontan.  That was so much fun figuring out who they were and feeding them false info.

Now it's more fun to just chat with old friends in other realms and figure out whats going on by reading through the lines, and writing in your messages there yourself.  It's pretty clear that Gregor wants peace in the North and a return to the old alliance pre-Fontanese betrayl of Sirion (read as forced war by Tom).  Of course nobody has bothered to ask him exactly what he wants, but they might be shocked to find out.