Author Topic: Idea for an in game reason why there are no navies in Battlemaster  (Read 11689 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I was pushing to have our General named "Grand Admiral" or somesuch a year ago. What use do we have for an army? We need a navy!
Oh... you could follow in the footsteps of Madina. They didn't think they needed an army either.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

Oh... you could follow in the footsteps of Madina. They didn't think they needed an army either.

Madina also declared war on a realm very close to theirs and didn't have allies. D'Hara is allied with both nearby realms and travel times are prohibitive through the Desert, and the ocean route from Giask. Even sailing from Madina, Golden Farrow, and Mimer is quite an undertaking in the winter. And our cities have huge walls and you can't flank us or cut us off. Forget Balance's Retreat--D'Hara has the best position on the map.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I was pushing to have our General named "Grand Admiral" or somesuch a year ago. What use do we have for an army? We need a navy!

So was I. Maybe I should do it now for real?

I remember it was at the end of your last mandate. I wanted to write a constitution, which I never got to doing. I also wanted to reform our titles to something more republic-like, naming the ruler Archon and the general Grand Admiral. Mind you, that was back when Caerwyn was still alive and it was actually appealing to improve relations with Madina.

"Lord Admiral" sounds good...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

So was I. Maybe I should do it now for real?

I remember it was at the end of your last mandate. I wanted to write a constitution, which I never got to doing. I also wanted to reform our titles to something more republic-like, naming the ruler Archon and the general Grand Admiral. Mind you, that was back when Caerwyn was still alive and it was actually appealing to improve relations with Madina.

"Lord Admiral" sounds good...

I'll let you bring it up IC. I wouldn't mind a title refresh either...cant think of one at the moment.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
it was called admiral, because all the positions (barring the doge.. and maybe the judge) stemmed from navy terms. reflecting the origin of the realm. (ship wreck)

banker -> purser
firefox

egamma

it was called admiral, because all the positions (barring the doge.. and maybe the judge) stemmed from navy terms. reflecting the origin of the realm. (ship wreck)

banker -> purser

Maybe:
Lord Admiral
Lord Purser/Lord Bursar/Lord Treasurer
Lord Arbiter/Lord Chancellor/Lord Justice

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Maybe:
Lord Admiral
Lord Purser/Lord Bursar/Lord Treasurer
Lord Arbiter/Lord Chancellor/Lord Justice

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

The inspiration for RP is mainly italian, but the UK is my inspiration for our government system.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

The inspiration for RP is mainly italian, but the UK is my inspiration for our government system.

It would be really cool to see Condottieri in BM...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Sea monsters. They're also why traveling across the ocean waters is so perilous and expensive. No one in their right mind would want to risk sea monsters.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It would be really cool to see Condottieri in BM...

Not gonna happen in D'Hara. Dependance on food is too high to have a militaristic agenda.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
...food XD i bought all that foreign food and none of our cities has seen fit to buy it
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
...food XD i bought all that foreign food and none of our cities has seen fit to buy it

Personally, I find it quite a bit more difficult to comprehend where food comes from and goes to with the new system. It seems like all of a sudden, there's just way more food than we can handle lying around, and that we don't know what to do with the food we produce ourselves. And this despite me doing less than I've ever done to import.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
does it matter where it comes from or goes to? i would have thought all you need to know is that you need food. and then figure out how much reserve you need.... then buy away if you need food.

maybe it'll help if daily reports tell you how many days of food you have left? that's not hidden info anyway.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The Command tab directly shows you how many days of food you have in your warehouse. You can look at it any time you want.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
does it matter where it comes from or goes to? i would have thought all you need to know is that you need food. and then figure out how much reserve you need.... then buy away if you need food.

maybe it'll help if daily reports tell you how many days of food you have left? that's not hidden info anyway.

If you are in a normal realm, sure, knowing there is food is enough.

If you are in a realm that has a serious deficit due to having a ton of cities and barely any food producing regions, on a continent that has seasons, then no. Because the continental markets don't offer a steady sum all year round.

Making sure we had enough stocked to survive the winter, without buying too much and having it rot for nothing, was always a major challenge.

Not to mention that the population and food consumption changes totally screwed all of my planification tables, which I'll have to redo. Warehouses being treated like any other building changes a few things as well (one or two warehouses fell apart, but they are otherwise much cheaper).

With Allison being herself, I've not had the time to dedicate to redoing all of the calculations, nor the will to massively invest in warehouses.