Author Topic: Unified Geography  (Read 6548 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Unified Geography
« Topic Start: March 10, 2012, 02:20:58 AM »
Is there a general idea of where the continents of Battlemaster are in relation to each other? Or is there any intention of creating one?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Unified Geography
« Reply #1: March 10, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »
On the maps page on the wiki there is a very old pre-battlemaster world map, dating back to the SpellMaster era. It only has three islands: east, south, and colonies.

There are no plans to create an updated version.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 10, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
I've done the exercise for myself. Honestly, it just looks weird and ugly, with too many continents being replicas of each other. It's one thing knowing tha AT/BT are the same (and SEI/SWI, and EC/FEI being extremely similar), but actually seeing it on a common map is quite another. The lack of such maps is better for suspense of disbelief, despite how much I would find the idea of a unified geography (and therefore intercontinental wars) appealing.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 11, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
The threat on Beluterra of Daimons invading all the worlds of BattleMaster is what had me wondering. I'm curious, what formation did you end up with?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: March 11, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »
Continents, not worlds.  We're all on one planet, after all.

Honestly, there are a few ways that I could think of to make a map.  Though I'd like to see some of the identical continents tweaked more to give some variance.  Wouldn't be the first time regions were added or removed, after all.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 11, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
Modifying existing worlds is a very difficult task. With all the other things happening, I can't see this being done.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 11, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
The continents that are carbon copies of each other could be flipped to look less dubious. For example Belluterra's north could be Atamara's south.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 11, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
The threat on Beluterra of Daimons invading all the worlds of BattleMaster is what had me wondering. I'm curious, what formation did you end up with?

I assumed all continents had their north upwards, as that's the traditional way of displaying maps and I believe switching them over would have been a trivial exercise at continent creation (probably wasn't thought of, but it would have been a good idea). I started out with the old spellmaster map, and then used clues to place the next ones. For example, BT was west of the original continents, because the first lands colonized were on the eastern shores. Dwilight, originally called Western Continent, was even further West for the very same reasons. BT and AT were slightly more north than the rest of the continents, since these are the only ones that actually have snow. The southern islands have a "west" and "east" which helps determine where they could be.

The continents that are carbon copies of each other could be flipped to look less dubious. For example Belluaterra's north could be Atamara's south.

It's possible, but rotating a map up-side down makes it unrecognizable for lots of people. And as I said above, were that the intent I think they'd have already done it, I believe rotating it now would be a lot more trouble than it would have been at its creation.

Established RP also always said that North was up, both on BT and AT. The RP rule typically goes that the first to state such things makes it true, and since a lot of people have been saying it for all that time, it'd be inappropriate to say "no, your characters were stupid all along, North is the other way".

That being said, it would open up different possibilities of continent spreads that would be much more appealing to the eyes than what current indicators suggest, if a unified geography map was ever desired. Imo, the best way to proceed to such a thing, however, if it truly was desired, would be to use the daimons as a pretext to change the geography of the continents, to remove parts of lands and add others, in order to make them different enough that seeing them next to each other doesn't undermine suspense of disbelief as much anymore.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 11, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Dwilight must be North West since it has a four season temperate climate, it snows there as well.

I don't think carbon copy continents (ha alliteration) are that big a deal. It is a fantasy world, and one could easily say that some deity made an exact copy of the continent. There could even be some legend that the two land masses were the bodies of twin gods who fell to earth and died.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 11, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Dwilight must be North West since it has a four season temperate climate, it snows there as well.

I don't think carbon copy continents (ha alliteration) are that big a deal. It is a fantasy world, and one could easily say that some deity made an exact copy of the continent. There could even be some legend that the two land masses were the bodies of twin gods who fell to earth and died.

I don't have any problems with carbon copies as it is. What I'm saying, however, is that when showed on the same map, *then* it looks really bad.

As for Dwilight, you know there's snow in the south too, right? BT and AT are the farthest north, because these are the only continents with *permanent* snow. No other continents have tundras.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 11, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
An interesting thing to look at, and perhaps this has been answered before, but how does Dwilight compare to the other continents size wise at a 1:1 ratio?

I know Dwilight is much bigger... but exactly how much bigger?

That is to say, if you plopped AT down on top of Dwilight just how bigger/smaller would they be? Where would Icegate and Washford be sitting on Dwilight?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 11, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »
In other words, how many miles is Atamara, etc. from North to South compared to how many miles Dwilight is from North to South?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: March 12, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
I believe switching them over would have been a trivial exercise at continent creation (probably wasn't thought of, but it would have been a good idea).

No. Look at the maps. Cities, bridges, trees, etc. would be upside-down.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 12, 2012, 03:05:58 AM »
Established RP also always said that North was up, both on BT and AT. The RP rule typically goes that the first to state such things makes it true, and since a lot of people have been saying it for all that time, it'd be inappropriate to say "no, your characters were stupid all along, North is the other way".

North is pretty much established as up, but I see east and west confused so often that I'm not sure flipping Dwilight horizontally would not actually conform with a majority of the RPs!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 12, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »

There.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell