Author Topic: Monarch Estate  (Read 8979 times)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Monarch Estate
« Topic Start: March 16, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
Can a King swear an oath to a region lord?

(I swear I look for all this stuff on the wiki it just isn't there)
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Monarch Estate
« Reply #1: March 16, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
Yes, I think rulers can. However, the last time I tried this was in a theocracy in 2009. Bedwyr would know since he's a monarchy ruler who might have a regional oath.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 16, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »
Indeed, Monarchs can have estates.  Jenred gets most of his gold from his oath to Talex, in point of fact, and Alanna gets most of hers from Askileon.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 16, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
Indeed, Monarchs can have estates.  Jenred gets most of his gold from his oath to Talex, in point of fact, and Alanna gets most of hers from Askileon.

Not under my watch she didn't. When I took over from Proslyn, Alanna had a 1% oath, which she kept as long as I was Duke of the city.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: March 16, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
Maybe that's why you got banned.  :o

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 17, 2011, 01:07:09 AM »
Not under my watch she didn't. When I took over from Proslyn, Alanna had a 1% oath, which she kept as long as I was Duke of the city.

That changed as part of a deal to make the wealth/property taxes much less onerous.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

egamma

« Reply #6: March 17, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
Rulers can keep their existing estates, but cannot sign a new oath. For example, my character Gellin had an estate in Rollsovar. He was elected and kept the estate. Then the region went rogue, and he can no longer have an estate.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 17, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
egamma is correct. A noble who has an oath and gets elected ruler keeps their existing oath and estate. However, once you become ruler you cannot swear a new oath of fealty.

You have to remember that an "estate" is part of an oath of fealty. That means you are swearing to serve and obey a lord who you acknowledge is in charge of you, and has a right to tell you what to do, and you are sworn to obey. These oaths of service all point to the top, which ends up with the ruler. And the person at the top swearing fealty to someone at the bottom just doesn't make sense at all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: March 17, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »
That's odd. When was this implemented?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 17, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
I don't know. The incident I had in Perdan with it was in October 2010, when we gave Partora to Caligus. My ruler character had an oath to Partora. I could not offer an oath to Perdan city, nor could the duke offer to me. When the city swapped to Caligus, I went with it.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: March 17, 2011, 10:50:30 PM »
Ok, so a recent change I guess, unless it depends on government type. Adriddae can attest that Garret got an oath to Flowrestown after the colony's ruler elections. This was in 2008 though, so it is very likely that something changed in those 2 years.

egamma

« Reply #11: March 18, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
it was at the same time that they said "no ducal knights" and "no imperial knights" and "everyone should fit neatly in the hierarchy".

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 19, 2011, 02:49:56 AM »
Saeculo, the ruler of a Republic was able to accept an oath to the Duke of Barad Falas (the realms Capital) and he did so around a month ago, having previously been the Lord of another region before becoming Ruler.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: March 19, 2011, 02:52:53 AM »
Perhaps the stable worlds can still have ruler oaths?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 19, 2011, 03:14:37 AM »
Saeculo, the ruler of a Republic was able to accept an oath to the Duke of Barad Falas (the realms Capital) and he did so around a month ago, having previously been the Lord of another region before becoming Ruler.

So he did not have a current oath at the time the Duke offered one? Perhaps that's the key.