Author Topic: Monarch Estate  (Read 8986 times)

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Monarch Estate
« Reply #15: March 19, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
So he did not have a current oath at the time the Duke offered one? Perhaps that's the key.

You want to know what the key is? This is it: ONLY the Duke of the Capitol city can offer an oath to the Ruler. The Ruler can not request an oath of anyone, even the Duke of the capitol. Also, he did not have a current oath at the time it was offered as far as I am aware.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 19, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
The capital city is a red herring. Or at least not all of it. My ruler of Perdan could not get an oath from the duke of Perdan city, which was our capital at the time. I could not offer one either. This was just 6 months ago.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 19, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
The capital city is a red herring. Or at least not all of it. My ruler of Perdan could not get an oath from the duke of Perdan city, which was our capital at the time. I could not offer one either. This was just 6 months ago.

You can't offer an oath in the normal way. The only way that I've seen it work is that when they become ruler, they "already" are a noble belonging the region of the capitol. They have an oath to the capitol, but without any tax share. This can be rectified by offering to give them a tax share as one would a new noble to the realm that is "belonging to your region".

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 19, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
You can't offer an oath in the normal way. The only way that I've seen it work is that when they become ruler, they "already" are a noble belonging the region of the capitol. They have an oath to the capitol, but without any tax share. This can be rectified by offering to give them a tax share as one would a new noble to the realm that is "belonging to your region".

Interesting. This must be extremely rare however, has anyone else been in this situation who is able to confirm this?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 19, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »
You can't offer an oath in the normal way. The only way that I've seen it work is that when they become ruler, they "already" are a noble belonging the region of the capitol.

Actually, the capital is just coincidence. The key is that they are already aligned to the region. And while that would be the capital 99% of the time, it's not always. In Perdan, my character was duchess of Castle Ubent. When she got elected as ruler, she lost the duchy and became a noble of Partora, which was the capital at the time. But then we moved the capital to Perdan, she was no longer a knight of the capital city.

Based on what I know of the code, that makes a bit more sense.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 19, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »
Actually, the capital is just coincidence. The key is that they are already aligned to the region. And while that would be the capital 99% of the time, it's not always. In Perdan, my character was duchess of Castle Ubent. When she got elected as ruler, she lost the duchy and became a noble of Partora, which was the capital at the time. But then we moved the capital to Perdan, she was no longer a knight of the capital city.

Based on what I know of the code, that makes a bit more sense.

Okay that makes perfect sense to me. If you had tried to become a knight of Partora you likely would have been able to. I think whenever they become ruler, they become a noble of the capitol. If the capitol changes at a later time during their rule, then they won't change loyalties of regions.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 24, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
The key is that they are already aligned to the region. And while that would be the capital 99% of the time, it's not always.

Indeed. For one of my realms, the ruler took control of a region, then passed it on to my character. However, the ruler still "belongs" to the region (although he does not receive a share of the gold), so he can be offered an oath. I suspect that this "belonging" is a state similar  to when a character starts out in a region and they then "belong" to it.