Author Topic: Online Tabletop RPG's (DnD etc)  (Read 7322 times)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Online Tabletop RPG's (DnD etc)
« Topic Start: March 18, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
So was talking in another thread, and something i've been thinking bout for some time is doing an Online RPG Campaign (the exact rpg used to be decided at a later date).

Now, there are two traditional methods of doing this online, one is a forum based one where people post x per week (where x is decided by the GM) and the other is via VoIP.

Now because every GM and RPG system is different, both of those methods usually change with who is doing what. And with the internet and some...ah...careful reading of laws etc, most RPG books are obtainable quite easily: meaning that any potential system available anywhere can be found on the internet.

So what I am proposing is that those who would be interested in an online campaign, post below with availability times (if you could all post it in UTC/GMT so that we have a standard time, would be sweet) for those who would not mind it being VoIP. And we'll leave it at that for now. If people are interested, things can start moving :)
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Online Tabletop RPG's (DnD etc)
« Reply #1: March 18, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
If I might make a somewhat shameless plug, there is a new system recently released that is designed with flexibility and speed of play in mind (in whose development I have been slightly involved). It is called Legend, and put out by the independent Rule of Cool Games.

It's free, and pretty cool. Give it a look.

Unfortunately, I don't presently have time to participate in a game, but I'd be happy to help with questions about Legend.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #2: March 18, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Thanks Anaris, I'll check it out. I actually got rid of my DnD v3 books about 4 months ago.

And, I'm interested in playing. Like I said in the other thread, I have access (implemented, actually) Microsoft Lync at my company, and I can use its Live Meeting-like interface, which includes multi-person video chat as well as a whiteboard for drawing maps, etc.

Of course, that's highly dependent on my time being available. I may be able to set it up so that it works without me, not sure.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 18, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »
I would rather play in the forum-based, as at work I'll hardly have the chance for a VoIP game, and it doesn't require everyone connected at the same time. Of course that it also has its drawbacks.

So basically if you get enough people for a Live game, then roll with it, if not we can make a play-by-post.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Pike

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 18, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
I would like do this as well.  I would prefer a play by post as well though.

egamma

« Reply #5: March 19, 2012, 01:37:35 AM »
Well, if you're going to play by post, why not...you know...play BM?  ;D

I'm interested in playing either way. Truth be told, PBE would fit my schedule a lot better. How do dice rolls work, does the GM do all the rolling?

Pike

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 19, 2012, 02:12:33 AM »
Well, if you're going to play by post, why not...you know...play BM?  ;D

Different setting and hopefully more continues rp. 

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 19, 2012, 02:30:46 AM »
There are mods for the forum that allow you to type [roll]2d8[/roll] and it will roll it up for you. We would just have to convince Tom to install it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anarki_Hunter

• Knight
  • Gra'd Arbitrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 19, 2012, 08:31:18 AM »
I would rather play in the forum-based, as at work I'll hardly have the chance for a VoIP game, and it doesn't require everyone connected at the same time. Of course that it also has its drawbacks.

So basically if you get enough people for a Live game, then roll with it, if not we can make a play-by-post.

If we are trying a forums based DnD, I would want to join in to.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 19, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
I'd be up either for VOIP or forum-based, but I think doing it on the forums might be easier due to timezone differences
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: March 19, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
Never played DnD before. Sounds really interesting.

Ig

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 21, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
I've done some previous research on stuff like this so here're some links that may be useful:
  • RPTools - has a bunch of non-physical aids, namely MapTool
  • Orokos - just one of many online rolling trackers, also offers support for 4E character tracking
  • WotC's 4E Virtual Tabletop - requires a DDI subscription to use. I know you can invite non-subs to games, but I'm unsure as to the max number of invites
  • PyMapper - image/tile-based map creation software

Will edit if I remember more

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 22, 2012, 02:49:29 AM »
Is there a way to roll dice for multiple people to view simultaneously?

I've got a pathfinder game, but it's nearing an end and so we are starting to think of our next characters. In order to get to try and various builds (and for the fun of it), we've decided to create and duel level 20 characters on the side. I was wondering if there was a means to do this online in a way that would spare people from the temptation of cheating the die, either via IRC or email or whatever. Something that "rolls dice" and gives the numbers simultaneously to multiple people.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 22, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Is there a way to roll dice for multiple people to view simultaneously?

I've got a pathfinder game, but it's nearing an end and so we are starting to think of our next characters. In order to get to try and various builds (and for the fun of it), we've decided to create and duel level 20 characters on the side. I was wondering if there was a means to do this online in a way that would spare people from the temptation of cheating the die, either via IRC or email or whatever. Something that "rolls dice" and gives the numbers simultaneously to multiple people.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2032

Just need to convince Tom to install this.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 22, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2032

Just need to convince Tom to install this.

That'S pretty cool.

Maybe I can create a sketchy forum for me and my bud's purposes and use that.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron