Author Topic: Duels costing honor when not done  (Read 11583 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Duels costing honor when not done
« Topic Start: March 18, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »
Well this is a feature request but I know Tom wants to have discussions to take place here and I don't quite have everything required for the format so I think to help duels be done accepted more when challenged and for being realistic too when someone challenges you to a duel if you don't accept duel you should lose some honor not just in the roleplaying but for the actual stat too. One thing that would need to be discussed is for which stat since I know that the stats are being redone and I am not sure if the honor stat is being kept.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Duels costing honor when not done
« Reply #1: March 18, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
No. Aside from the fact that Honour appears to be getting a makeover, virtually the only people who go round challenging are those who've spent ages in the Academy wanting duels with those who haven't. It's bad enough without them being able to grief people by forcing them to lose Honour over it, or risk death.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 18, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Hmm, maybe have it give the winner honor I was thinking since thats what the duel should be over so who ever wins gains honor from it too? And if you don't want a master swordsman to challenge you to a duel then don't piss them off, it works the same for everything else. If you dont want a realm way bigger than you to declare war dont give them reason to.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 18, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
eh... isn't that just giving incentive for someone to go around initiating duels for no reason.. and hoping some sucker accepts?
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 18, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
Well on one side people with high sword skill deserve to get a good benefit, on the same time that is an issue of it being exploited and people doing duels for no reason. Perhaps have it where the person being challenged can decide to change a duel  to only to first blood when asked for a death duel.
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 18, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
benefit? you have higher skill, you have higher chance of winning.. what more is needed?
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 18, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
My point of benefit is that they should actually have times where they get to duel people that arent always master swordsman because everyone else is too chicken and has nothing to lose from not accepting. So to encourage duels to be accepted, honor is gave to the winner of the duel and if you dont accept a duel then you lose honor because thats what duels are supposed to be about (you insult me so I want a duel until first blood for example). To also encourage duels, death duels can be changed to first blood duels. To stop people from exploiting it perhaps have a max amount of honor that can be gained or a timer of once a month or some other number that they actually get honor from duels.
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

« Reply #7: March 18, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
I'm positive that this will be rejected. Dueling should be treated as a very serious affair--someone has slighted your characters' honor, and your character demands satisfaction. It should be an RP event, not something that you can use to win to command more cavalry or whatever.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 18, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
The issue I hear with dueling is though with the roleplaying is someone has a great reason for a duel but the other person is worried they will die and get no benefit so they dont accept. No one treats the person who didnt accept as a coward and everything keeps going the way it was before. This is what I have heard from many. So to solve the issue if you give reasons why someone should actually accept a duel then they will happen instead of nobles getting to insult and do other things worthy of a duel but the player is too afraid of losing their character. I am not trying to make a new way to "get more calvary" but to make duels happen more often when they should instead of cowards who get no punishment for the way they act.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:31:43 PM by Penchant »
― G.K. Chesterton

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 18, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
If the complaint and duel is just, it's up to his fellow Nobles to object to rejecting it. He should lose standing in the Realm, but that is up to the players to do. I don't think we can construct a system where the game can tell which duels have a justified reason behind them and which ones make no sense and/or can be rejected for a good reason ('afraid to lose character' doesn't have to be the only reason for Nobles reject duels after all). Unless you have some sort of Vulgarity System, but even that might be difficult without players having the whole story behind it.

First Blood Duels were removed because they were used for the wrong reasons. They have been replaced by Training Matches (on Testing for now). If there is a good reason to duel but it's not worth your life, you can duel till surrender.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:18:24 PM by Telrunya »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 18, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
I don't like any of these ideas myself. Let's leave duels the way they are now. Any kind of mechanical assignment of bonuses/penalties will only make things awkward.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 18, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
Ok unless anyone has a different idea related to this that people might like, feel free to lock it since it seems most aren't a fan of changing the duel setup.
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #12: March 19, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »
Thank you for your contribution.  Let's simply move on to other discussions. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 19, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
What about keeping a record of the duels rejected (or rather the nobles who challenged the noble, and the noble rejected them, for the amount of challenges is irrelevant)? Not sure if it would actually be positive for the game somehow...

Amount of duels won it is something many people would rather not be made public.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 19, 2012, 01:42:19 AM »
Hmm, that actually seems like a good idea because if they reject a lot of duels they do start seem like quite a coward, where if you have only declined once or twice even if you were being a coward you aren't causing much anger from other people. Also if it said who they rejected it would then it prevent if its just some one challenging the person just to make them look like a coward since it would be one person they rejected often not 10 different people.
― G.K. Chesterton