Author Topic: Duels costing honor when not done  (Read 11592 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Duels costing honor when not done
« Reply #30: June 19, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Which Is why there need to be some way to enforce Duels especially on SMA worlds. Having it social and RP is fine, but then there needs to be some sort of record of what duels were refused and why. A history of refusing to participate in a duel (where there are valid reasons) should be known to all. If there was a duel between King Richard and Prince John in the middle ages, then the entire country would know about it. What ever happened would become public knowledge as soon as the news could travel.
First, I don't think any mechanic such as this would be added, so this is mostly a philosophical discussion.

Second, any such system would also need to account for the stupid duel challenges as well. The idiots who challenge someone to a duel to the death for insignificant reasons. Like... "How dare you not buy my food for 32/100, and then buy *his* food for 33/100? Defend your financial ineptitude with your life, dog!"

Which is a major reason why the mechanics you are requesting won't be added. Who gets to decide if the reason is valid or not? The challenger? The challenged? The challenger's buddies? You keep saying you want to punish people for refusing duels that have "valid reasons/RP". But who decides? Obviously the person you are challenging doesn't think you have "valid reasons/RP". A vulgarity-like system wouldn't work. How would it be reported? *What* would you report, and how would you convey all the background behind it? You'd end up with the challenger saying he had a good reason, and if the challenged gets to respond as well, they would say the challenger's reason is bad.

Also:
I am trying to stop people gaming the system that are entrenched into powerful positions with no way of getting them out.
Removing characters from positions is not the intention or purpose of the dueling system. Using it for that purpose could even be considered an abuse of the system.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.