Author Topic: Unstable Government Causes Unrest  (Read 6636 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Unstable Government Causes Unrest
« Topic Start: March 20, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
In Fissoa, an election failed and we started to receive this message:

Unstable Government Causes Unrest   (2 hours, 59 minutes ago)
The recent failed election has the people confused and uncertain about the future.

To deal with the issue, I appointed someone to the position several days ago, however I still get this message. Is this intended behaviour? I wanted to post here before, but I decided to wait a bit longer. The first message appeared 10 days ago, and the appointment I made was about 7 days ago.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Unstable Government Causes Unrest
« Reply #1: March 20, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
So an election fails, and you appoint someone in the position?  Oh, yeah, that'll calm the people down. Really lets the people know that their government is functioning well when the electoral system is just completely circumvented like that.

The message remains for (IIRC) between 7 and 10 days. It is an indication of a small penalty to region stats. It shouldn't cause any serious damage unless you've got some regions that are already in pretty bad shape.

If you have multiple failed elections at the same time, that's when you really have to worry.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 20, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
Isn't this just going to encourage more Monarchies and Tyrannies? Don't Republics and Democracies (lol democracies) have it bad enough already? We already miss out on the "King bonus". :p
------
qui audet vincit

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 20, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
I hardly think you're suffering too badly. You get other, less visible bonuses.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 20, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
I hardly think you're suffering too badly. You get other, less visible bonuses.
Such as?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

« Reply #5: March 21, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »
Such as?

Like getting to replace incompetent leaders without a rebellion.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 21, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »
That is very true and you can do it peacefully since you could just protest the leader out but if you do the character will feel like a failure. Plus its not always that a leader is incompetent but that there are people who could do the job even better.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 21, 2012, 02:01:44 AM »
That. And others that aren't as visible. The fact of the matter is that all government styles have various benefits and disadvantages. Some are obvious (ruler regional bonus), some are inobvious (theocracy rulers being able to appoint themselves as duke), and some are simply hidden.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 21, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
So an election fails, and you appoint someone in the position?  Oh, yeah, that'll calm the people down. Really lets the people know that their government is functioning well when the electoral system is just completely circumvented like that.

It's not like the people have any say in it... and this is about a Monarchy. If unrest is caused by an unstable government, wouldn't appointing someone immediately after the failed elections show stability? I do get where you're coming from, though. Didn't look at it your way.

But really: peasants know a lot about politics in this game :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 22, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »
It's not like the people have any say in it... and this is about a Monarchy. If unrest is caused by an unstable government, wouldn't appointing someone immediately after the failed elections show stability? I do get where you're coming from, though. Didn't look at it your way.

But really: peasants know a lot about politics in this game :P

You can also appoint before before the elections end...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 22, 2012, 06:52:20 AM »
.... never knew what happens if you do that... does it vacate the position if election fails? i mean.. if you appoint and then election give someone else, that someone else will be put in, right?
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 22, 2012, 09:31:08 AM »
You can also appoint before before the elections end...

And that wouldn't cause unrest? I'd say a noble population slighted in it's electoral rights would be far more upset than some peasants...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 22, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
And that wouldn't cause unrest? I'd say a noble population slighted in it's electoral rights would be far more upset than some peasants...

I always assumed that the minor nobility are the ones that are annoyed, and they stir up those silly gullible peasants. They probably use pictures to explain it to them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 24, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
.... never knew what happens if you do that... does it vacate the position if election fails? i mean.. if you appoint and then election give someone else, that someone else will be put in, right?

Elected person replaces the appointed one. It works just like standard monthly elections do: doesn't matter whether there's an incumbent or not, the election puts the new guy in place.

As for elections failing, incumbent remains if there's one. If Fheuv'n last month, no one declared themselves candidate for the judge position, so the guy who had it (who was campaigning for rulership instead) stayed where he was when the election for judge failed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron