Author Topic: Priests and region pages (frozen)  (Read 3113 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Priests and region pages (frozen)
« Topic Start: March 17, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
Topic locked, as announced earlier. This is not a feature request, it's a discussion. It needs to either be re-formulated as a feature request, detailling exaclty what change is requested so we can decide if we want to accept it or not - or alternatively a discussion in the Development board where the idea can be fleshed out until a proper feature request can be made.

Title: Priests having access to same region data in-realm as everyone else.
    Summary: Priests are currently the only ones who can't see troop info of regions in their own realm and can't tell the faith of the region's lord.
    Details: Make priests once again have the ability to view what faith the region lord belongs to and make them able to be able to click on region page links for their own realm's regions and see troops present as any other noble character would.
    Benefits: Priests used to be able to tell lords' faith as everyone else. This seems to have gotten removed quite lately, seems like a bug but it ain't getting fixed despite it being mentioned regularly. As for troops, it's outlined in the paragraph above. Being a priest shouldn't make one a worse government member, rulers and such need access to this extremely basic information that the vast majority of characters (ex: 92% on BT) have. Not only does it not make any sense at all to be in a region, talking with foreigners as a ruler and not have the slightest idea of whether the trespassers are leading troops or not, but finding out what realm these people belong to, just with region allegiance, is a huge and unnecessary hassle. In a lot of cases I've seen, those with priests characters usually have a second non-priest character, which allows them to bypass this senseless restriction without a sweat. But those who don't dump two characters in the same realm in this way are therefore unfairly penalized, and, in my opinion, for no good reason at all. One shouldn't have to go hassle other nobles to know if the guy in front of himself leads troops or not.
    Possible Exploits: None, because it doesn't affect adventurers (which aren't nobles anyways), and still prevents priests from acting as scouts, which was the purpose of the limitation when first implemented.

Sorry, but what more do you want? The request is crystal clear. I had edited the original post to format it as per requested.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Priests and region pages (frozen)
« Reply #1: March 17, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
In this form: Rejected. Reasons have been outlined in the locked discussion thread.

I do agree that the realm should be listed.
The lord's faith needs to be discussed, as it would be one of very few places in the game where a characters religion is directly visible to people who don't share it.

The troops thing needs discussion. Under no circumstances will I entertain the thought of giving priests the same view. Again, reasons have been listed. Showing whether or not they have a unit at all, however, is something that could be discussed.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 17, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »
The lord's faith needs to be discussed, as it would be one of very few places in the game where a characters religion is directly visible to people who don't share it.

I can confirm the Lord's faith does appear to priests now on testing. I don't know about stable - I assume it will appear there eventually? Then there is nothing to change.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 17, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »
So this is what I think about priests should be able to see same as everyone else for region information of their own realm, lords faith is something I should be shown because its the priests job to convert the prominent members of the island to their religion. The reason you convince the prominent members is the people that follow them are more likely to follow the religion. Also I am not sure if its because I am in the region or because we are in a federation with the realm but I can see the region info without scouting so maybe priests get same for that if its because of federation. In scouting it says the realm, and whether or not they have a unit. Everyone agree with the above? If you don't give a reason why.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 18, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
In scouting it says the realm, and whether or not they have a unit.

The discussion is not about scouting (priests can't get scouts, therefore will never see the CS), but about what you see in the region description of the region you stand in.

I would agree that a general note about units would be nice, if only to know whether you risk arrest or not. What about something like:

"Military
Nobles

Baal Zephon Beldragos, Baron of Lawataling, Madina
    Pierre von Genf, Duke of the First Temple, Marquis of Caiyun, Ambassador of Morek Empire
    Dene Munzer (Knight of Madina), Madina
    (...)

There are troops from Madina present in the region.
There are troops from Aurvandil present in the region.
"
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: March 18, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
"

I like that.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 18, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
The discussion is not about scouting (priests can't get scouts, therefore will never see the CS), but about what you see in the region description of the region you stand in.

Sorry about that, I just heard people complaining that priests use to be like scouts so I assumed they had something similar to that of adventurers where they themselves could scout the region.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 18, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
no.. they just look up region details. (back when)
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 24, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
agree that a general note about units would be nice, if only to know whether you risk arrest or not. What about something like:

"
"

Needs to be a distinction between mobile troops and militia, though, as militia can't arrest priests while nobles with troops can.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: March 24, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
Needs to be a distinction between mobile troops and militia, though, as militia can't arrest priests while nobles with troops can.

No. The priest would not be able to spot the difference, and we should leave him some uncertainty to worry about.