Author Topic: Fontan vs Westmoor III: third times a charm  (Read 65660 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Fontan vs Westmoor III: third times a charm
« Reply #105: April 27, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »
So, the war continues forever? Yay! That's kind of what we are here for. War. Strife. Intrigue. At least they are finding legitimate reasons to keep starting new wars.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: April 27, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
I think that the gangbang on Fontan is mostly an OOC thing, as in 'we're bored and don't have anything to do' and 'let's punish those clanners in fontan ICly'. The reason that there are ibladesh nobles there is pretty laughable as one has to ask himself why didn't caligus and co. invade fontan sooner then, and why did perdan specifically told they won't interfere as long as it is 1v1. Ibladesh nobles were there all the time, and there was no way perdan or caligus didn't know that. It is suspicious they are using this just now to trigger the invasion.

Also, one noble boasting that sirionite lords are funding fontanese nobles in their war with westmoor is not a reason good enough to join the war, because from what i know that is not true at all, and makes for a very slim interpretation of this not being a 1v1 war anymore.

To conclude, finger down for this gangbang. Thank you for destroying the continent.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: April 27, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
So, the war continues forever? Yay! That's kind of what we are here for. War. Strife. Intrigue. At least they are finding legitimate reasons to keep starting new wars.

All war all the time is just as unsatisfying as no wars ever.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: April 27, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
All war all the time is just as unsatisfying as no wars ever.

No...no, it really isn't.  Trust me, I've lived through both, and no wars for ages is way, way, way more boring.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: April 27, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
No...no, it really isn't.  Trust me, I've lived through both, and no wars for ages is way, way, way more boring.

So have I, and I find them equally tedious. Raise troops. March to Sermbar. See troops slaughtered. Raise more troops. Repeat ad nauseam.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: April 27, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »

Ahhhhh! and i hope some one comes and blow up the fuse on the Far East Islans as well!

Now, i hope this get interesting on the EC, and everyone joins in, i do not care if Fontan becomes a wasteland as sacrifice for a "Whole Continent Scale War"

Atamara's refit times are way too longer, and you barely see a Huge battle every 2-3 weeks.

Peace!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: April 27, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
So have I, and I find them equally tedious. Raise troops. March to Sermbar. See troops slaughtered. Raise more troops. Repeat ad nauseam.

Then a) maybe your realm lacks some of the RP/IC atmosphere that the long-term-war realms I was in had, and b) maybe your realm lacks the imagination they had to come up with other ways to attack (actually, now I think of it, that could account for (a) as well).

In my experience, a realm with some imagination and atmosphere can be extremely fun when in a war (especially when the enemy also has imagination!), and is still way more fun in peacetime than realms where everyone is just all about the numbers.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: April 27, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »
Then a) maybe your realm lacks some of the RP/IC atmosphere that the long-term-war realms I was in had, and b) maybe your realm lacks the imagination they had to come up with other ways to attack (actually, now I think of it, that could account for (a) as well).

In my experience, a realm with some imagination and atmosphere can be extremely fun when in a war (especially when the enemy also has imagination!), and is still way more fun in peacetime than realms where everyone is just all about the numbers.

The internal atmosphere wasn't the problem: there's always someone in Fontan to pick a verbal fight with regardless of whether there's a war. However you could be right about the lack of imagination. My old character Moira had some success raiding northern Sirion, but the bulk of the military command was fixated on big pushes which won glorious but futile victories which frankly were just typical MMO grind.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: April 27, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
The internal atmosphere wasn't the problem: there's always someone in Fontan to pick a verbal fight with regardless of whether there's a war. However you could be right about the lack of imagination. My old character Moira had some success raiding northern Sirion, but the bulk of the military command was fixated on big pushes which won glorious but futile victories which frankly were just typical MMO grind.

I should note that I managed to become General of Fontan in late 2009 by pushing for more imaginative strategies, but when the Marshals of the realm all refused to actually implement those strategies, and the Judge (who happened to be more or less the leader of the orthodox faction) supported their disobedience, I stepped down after less than a month and left in disgust.

Since that time, Fontan has gone continually downhill.
Timothy Collett

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: April 27, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »
I think that the gangbang on Fontan is mostly an OOC thing, as in 'we're bored and don't have anything to do' and 'let's punish those clanners in fontan ICly'. The reason that there are ibladesh nobles there is pretty laughable as one has to ask himself why didn't caligus and co. invade fontan sooner then, and why did perdan specifically told they won't interfere as long as it is 1v1. Ibladesh nobles were there all the time, and there was no way perdan or caligus didn't know that. It is suspicious they are using this just now to trigger the invasion.

Also, one noble boasting that sirionite lords are funding fontanese nobles in their war with westmoor is not a reason good enough to join the war, because from what i know that is not true at all, and makes for a very slim interpretation of this not being a 1v1 war anymore.

To conclude, finger down for this gangbang. Thank you for destroying the continent.

You seem a bit sore concerning EC?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: April 27, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
Perdan would kick Caligus' ass any day. They were a LOT more instrumental to Ibby's destruction than Caligus ever was. Militarily at least.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: April 27, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
I should note that I managed to become General of Fontan in late 2009 by pushing for more imaginative strategies, but when the Marshals of the realm all refused to actually implement those strategies, and the Judge (who happened to be more or less the leader of the orthodox faction) supported their disobedience, I stepped down after less than a month and left in disgust.

Since that time, Fontan has gone continually downhill.

Moira was so disillusioned with the military command that she built her own alternative around the Bureau of Irregular Warfare. We never had more than perhaps half-a-dozen players involved, but mixing religion, smuggling and raiding in northern Sirion at least relieved the tedium and caused some actual damage.

I took a year out from late 2009 and when I returned the situation was much the same, only Fontan was considerably poorer and the end that much more apparent.

As I say, she's been living on borrowed time for a year now. The plug is about to be pulled and those of us who like the idea of a medieval democracy will have to find somewhere else to satisfy our fancies.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: April 27, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
You seem a bit sore concerning EC?

No, I just wouldn't wanna see EC becoming Atamara2, where one power bloc dictates all politics on the entire island. And this is what is happening right now, unless Sirion decides to stand up (which is probably very unlikely).
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: April 27, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
I think EC will always generate a reason to war and hopefully never become as blocked as AT.

O I miss Oligarch the days the Orcs had power.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Chaotrance13

« Reply #119: April 27, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
The facts are that Westmoor were crying all over the ruler channel for help, they came to the forums to cry OCC as well!

"Facts"? No. I see an opinion there. One person's "crying" is another person's "positioning" or "posturing". That can be the nature of diplomacy and/or politics. In character, at least.

But, insinuating that an entire realm of players are whiners and crybabies is bad form, although I'm not exactly surprised. Did I cry or whine when I sent Tom an email expressing my concerns based on past history? Maybe, depends on who you speak to or how you look at it. I suspect now that Ravier and Viktor will pay the price for my actions outside of the game because of comments like the one bolded above.

I thought we were all better than that, no matter which realm we played in. I'm quite clearly mistaken. I was enjoying the IC banter and fighting somewhat until I saw that comment. Now it has hit home - this war is no longer contained inside the game at all.