Author Topic: Beluaterra Map  (Read 20772 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Beluaterra Map
« Topic Start: March 17, 2011, 05:53:34 AM »
I know that an actual change to Beluaterra's map is unlikely since it would be a lot of work on Tom and the Dev team.

But, it would be interesting if when the blight is removed the areas under blight were changed. I imagine areas previously fertile being badlands and parts sunk into the ocean by earthquakes or other forces. The west has the largest area under blight. I could imagine parts of it under water and islands or a new mountain range.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Beluaterra Map
« Reply #1: March 17, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
That would be pretty interesting. If the blighted regions we can't see at all (aka not border-regions) was totally changed up and we had a group of island or all cities under the blight were turned to stone (strongholds) and their stats were changed. Also when the map in revealed, keep it banner-less like Dwilight so we would actually have to search to find out this info.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 17, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
Good idea, but it's something the community could do on it's own. It costs maybe a couple of quid to buy Age of Wonders on Steam, Good Old Games and Impulse nowadays and that has the editor that was used to make the original BM maps. There's also this page on the wiki that has a few resources and plenty of samples for helping with the copy/pasting and stuff so you could edit the Beluaterra map to your hearts content even without AoW. The only thing I think would be hardest was keeping the original city sizes and artwork consistent, or making everything look consistently black and ashen or maybe inferitle and desertlike. or what have you. Though most eventualities look to be fairly well covered by the samples on the wiki there.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: March 17, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
It sounds definitely possible by the community, although for now, it sounds like the regions are supposed to be inaccessible. If in the future they become accessible again, then if anything, we might want some mechanics that would remind us that we lost those regions, that the price for losing them means lower max population, stats, possibly higher spawn rates of monsters and undead in their general blight areas, and...I have no clue about the general daimon areas.

Anyway, enjoy this one.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 17, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
I'll play around with age of wonders, maybe I can post some images of what I'm thinking of.

Off the top of my head, I'd try to make the blighted areas reflect which invader took it. The regions were transformed by the invaders who took the region right so makes sense for them to reflect that. So Monster blight in the south would be more wild, forests, jungles, swamps. The undead didn't take any large areas but the ice could extend further south, maybe the forests would be dead. I'll see what I can think of. The west, where the Daimons took over, would see the most dramatic of changes since its the largest blighted section. Maybe a volcano where Eykfar was?

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #5: April 02, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »
I always thought about just sinking the blighted areas.  It would make the island look different from Atamara.  Although I suppose it would make it a lot smaller and prevent a larger ammount of realms.  I'm interested to see what happens.  I actually think we'll get our regions back.
No man is an island, unto himself.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: April 02, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
How about turning blighted regions into badland or volcanic land? Cities into crumbling ruins? or into island cities? Sinking those regions will be too cruel :)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 02, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »
I suspect the best idea would be to keep them covered until the new estate system is worked out. That will open up a lot more possibilities for the lands no doubt. Once they are uncovered, I'm thinking that people will need to do a lot of work in the regions to improve them back to what they were, including gold investments in the new estates, etc.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 02, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »
Once they are uncovered...

If I were you, I would stop thinking that they ever will be.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 02, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
Aye. We lost part of the Continent. It ain't coming back.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 02, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
If I were you, I would stop thinking that they ever will be.

Heh, I've never even set foot on Beluaterra. I was simply following on from the train of thought as seen in the starting post ;)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 02, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
Aye. We lost part of the Continent. It ain't coming back.

Portal stones?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: April 03, 2011, 02:17:53 AM »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: April 03, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Portal stones?

Does that black fog look like a portal to you?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 03, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
Does that black fog look like a portal to you?

No, it looks like somewhere the Human Armies of the World should Invade for Part Five of Beluaterra's Exciting Adventure  :D
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"