Author Topic: Not being able to kick out priests of a religion  (Read 23717 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
If you want a conflict just make sure a message is sent to all members that the priest was kicked. Small religions might be losing their only priest and larger ones will have members who supported the priest argueing about it all for sure, if the priest was actually doing anything to help the religion.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
the issue for me is not the kicking, it's kicking with complete impunity.

what if, as a temp solution, you can kick. but if it's a priest of long standing/high skill, then every region with your followers will kick up a fuss - magnitude depends on follower lvl, priest's standing, etc...

a bit like sacking a shrine/temple..

also as a temp thing, a separate "silence" function could also be added to make preaching/influencing more ineffective

spamming is an ooc thing. sic the titans on them.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Rather than use game mechanics for it, why not just let the players raise hell over it? I have yet to see a game mechanic that will cause as much trouble as a few pissed-off players. If the priest kicked out is anything more than a lone whackjob, he probably has some support that can cause trouble for him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
what if, as a temp solution, you can kick. but if it's a priest of long standing/high skill, then every region with your followers will kick up a fuss - magnitude depends on follower lvl, priest's standing, etc...

Except that we don't have such a thing as a "standing".

That is exactly what I've been saying half of this discussion: We currently do not have any of the data required for making this work. Whatever we do, it requires changes to code and database.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I have yet to see a game mechanic that will cause as much trouble as a few pissed-off players.

Most players don't say anything, ever. In this game, you can do the equivalent of having the queen strip naked and gangbang the palace guard and people will barely say a word.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Rather than use game mechanics for it, why not just let the players raise hell over it? I have yet to see a game mechanic that will cause as much trouble as a few pissed-off players. If the priest kicked out is anything more than a lone whackjob, he probably has some support that can cause trouble for him.

What about being able to demote them to aspirants? That allows them to get rid of spies but keeps them from abusing it to silence dissent.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Except that we don't have such a thing as a "standing".

That is exactly what I've been saying half of this discussion: We currently do not have any of the data required for making this work. Whatever we do, it requires changes to code and database.

isn't there a time since joining religion somewhere? (have to look it up when i get to a temple)
by no means accurate regarding priesthood obviously.

i think there is a time in rank thing (or at least a date).. but if it's just the rank then it's no good. because you can change rank, then boot -> less than 1 day
firefox

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Most players don't say anything, ever. In this game, you can do the equivalent of having the queen strip naked and gangbang the palace guard and people will barely say a word.

Sure, if you run one of those dead religions that exist only to fill a vacuum and that no one really cares about. If you did the above things in the halls of SA, you'd be lucky to survive the ensuing avalanche of message traffic with your sanity intact. There are other religions I have experience with that are plenty vibrant even without approach what goes on in SA, like the Way of the Hammer on AT, or the Church of Ibladesh, pre-butt whooping. I'm sure there are others.

I agree with Indirik. If no one can be bothered to kick up a fuss, then the priest probably was a lone whackjob, wasn't he? How else could he first stir up enough trouble to get kicked out and then have absolutely no one stand up for him? If no one cares, no one's going to care what he does. If someone cares, then there's conflict and there will likely be a fuss over him getting kicked out.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Besides, the act of kicking out a priest is so counter-productive to the religion that they are unlikely to do so without serious motive. Most religions don't have all that many priests, they don't have the luxury of being able to kick them out left and right.

While a middle-ground may be preferable, I stand by the opinion that being able to kick out priests as one would kick out a non-priest is preferable to priests having total immunity, and that therefore the restrictions should be lifted until the time is taken for a more complex middle-ground solution.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron