Poll

How did you learn about BattleMaster ?

word of mouth
27 (54%)
search engine
5 (10%)
gaming website
3 (6%)
random (someone's forum signature, etc.)
10 (20%)
other
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: How did you learn about BattleMaster ?  (Read 23004 times)

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn about BattleMaster ?
« Reply #30: March 18, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
No sign of that book in the library today so hoping it's simply presently out on loan rather then been withdrawn.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Hossenfeffer

• Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sanguis Astroism - The Bloodstar Phases
« Reply #31: March 18, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
I have no idea.  I guess it would have to be a search engine result of some sort, since in the eight and a half years I've been playing I don't think I've ever met another BM player IRL.  My guess would be that I searched for 'browser RPG', since I'm a role-player and not a board gamer at heart.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no 'computer' game I've ever played as long as BM.  I played WoW for about three or four years, I guess, and Counterstrike for at least a couple.  But nothing comes close to BM at eight and a half years without a break.  That's a fantastic acheivement, Tom, and you have every right to be really proud of your game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 18, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no 'computer' game I've ever played as long as BM.  I played WoW for about three or four years, I guess, and Counterstrike for at least a couple.  But nothing comes close to BM at eight and a half years without a break.  That's a fantastic acheivement, Tom, and you have every right to be really proud of your game.

This.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 19, 2011, 03:34:28 AM »
I was searching for a middle ages set game on a directory site, a few looked promising.... but the promise of changing the course of the world.... Only BM offers it, and it drew me in. Now, I'm working on that very thing in EC...

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 19, 2011, 03:35:03 AM »

Well, I've been playing Age of Empires for 13 years and Age of Kings for 10, but nowhere near as intensively as BM... coming up on 6 years in a month and a half, and I think I maybe missed 14 days or so in total where I didn't at least log in to check my news. At the very most.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #35: March 19, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
There is a whole thread devoted to it on successionwars.com.

Which is a game currently being developed by a person in the diplomatic office for the US in Ukraine, by the way. It is based on the Battletech universe and from what I've seen so far it will be a blast.

Tom, you should check it out. The amount of work he has put into this game reminds me of how much effort you have put into battlemaster.

Zakilevo

« Reply #36: March 19, 2011, 04:21:07 AM »
my god this successionwars.com is so confusing. Is it still in beta?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #37: March 19, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
No sign of that book in the library today so hoping it's simply presently out on loan rather then been withdrawn.

Maybe it wasn't notable enough and got deleted. *scnr*

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #38: March 19, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
Thanks for participating in the poll to all. It seems that any advertisement money would be wasted, as BM is primarily propagated through word-of-mouth. That's interesting, I thought as much but not quite this dramatically.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 19, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
I saw your sig on Slashdot.

"Back in beta (too many new features): BattleMaster"

The lure of something in beta with loads of new features was extremely compelling :-)

I saw the same sig. I checked it out (I was looking for some non-life-invading browser game at the time) and I also saw that it was made by the same guy who made that site about DeCSS, so it was probably worth checking out.

I think I remember showing lemuria.org to friends to show them the DeCSS haiku, but I can't find them there anymore. Maybe I'm just confused.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #40: March 19, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
my god this successionwars.com is so confusing. Is it still in beta?

He hasn't even released the Beta. He should release it sometime in 2011.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 19, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Thanks for participating in the poll to all. It seems that any advertisement money would be wasted, as BM is primarily propagated through word-of-mouth. That's interesting, I thought as much but not quite this dramatically.

I'm not sure that follows, Tom.

Thus far, BattleMaster just hasn't been advertised much.  The only places (as far as I know) people could find out about it have been a Google search that turns up the site itself, the now-deleted Wikipedia article, your Slashdot sig, and word of mouth.

If we made a concerted effort to get BattleMaster included in various lists of browser games (and maybe found that book, so we could at least try to get the Wikipedia article put back up!), I think we could make a big difference in its exposure net-wide.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 22, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
I have no idea.  I guess it would have to be a search engine result of some sort, since in the eight and a half years I've been playing I don't think I've ever met another BM player IRL.  My guess would be that I searched for 'browser RPG', since I'm a role-player and not a board gamer at heart.

The only reason I quit back in 08 was because battlemaster was so addictive that it was ruining my life at the time of my postgrad.

Actually I'm still on the same course... and playing battlemaster again... I can't keep away  :-\

And yeah, I heard about BM by word of mouth also, but my friend found it through google if that helps.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 22, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »

That's more or less the same for me.

I should actually ask the friend of mine that proposed the game to me where did he found that, but I would say in a search engine when we were short of browsergames to play together (I went for word of mouth). At first I was very skeptical (and someone might get that from the not-very-serious name of my chars) but then, well, he quitted and I'm here on the forum. woah

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 22, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
I should actually ask the friend of mine that proposed the game to me where did he found that, but I would say in a search engine when we were short of browsergames to play together (I went for word of mouth). At first I was very skeptical (and someone might get that from the not-very-serious name of my chars) but then, well, he quitted and I'm here on the forum. woah

Isn't it odd how sometimes the person that recommends the game falls by the wayside, while the one who was introduced to it sticks by it? Same thing with me :)