Poll

How did you learn about BattleMaster ?

word of mouth
27 (54%)
search engine
5 (10%)
gaming website
3 (6%)
random (someone's forum signature, etc.)
10 (20%)
other
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: How did you learn about BattleMaster ?  (Read 23046 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn about BattleMaster ?
« Reply #45: March 22, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
Yup, same here. The guy who told me to check out BM quit playing about a year later. That's about 5 years ago now :p

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 22, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
I saw your sig on Slashdot.

This might have been the way I stumbled across it, too.  It was either that or a random listing on Lycos, Angelfire, or some other hopelessly ancient web directory.  It was definitely in late 2003, though.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 23, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
Got recruited by friends in Astrum but now I don't see them anymore so instead.. I fight them.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Zakilevo

« Reply #48: March 23, 2011, 04:20:44 AM »
I've recruited two of my friends. But they hated BM lol They like action games :P Can't stand reading. sad.. :(

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: March 23, 2011, 06:22:44 AM »
I discovered the game by searching through a list of free browser based strategy games. I was trying out ones with interesting descriptions, and most of them were the build a town style. BM stuck out a lot, and is now the only one I still play :D . I have since tried getting a lot of friends to play with two success. One though has stopped after he got busted for having two accounts.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 23, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
If I might offer a theory, I think that part of the reason BM is spread through word of mouth so much is the team nature of the game. It makes a difference in those first few days if you're playing with someone you know.

Was I wrong? :P

You got lucky!  ;)
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: March 23, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
I discovered the game by searching through a list of free browser based strategy games. I was trying out ones with interesting descriptions, and most of them were the build a town style. BM stuck out a lot, and is now the only one I still play :D . I have since tried getting a lot of friends to play with two success. One though has stopped after he got busted for having two accounts.

If he's willing to only play one account, he's welcome to come back.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: March 23, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
If he's willing to only play one account, he's welcome to come back.

I tried, but he said he doesn't feel like going through the process of starting from scratch again. Maybe in a year or two if something very interesting happens to BM I could get him again.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 23, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
Thanks for participating in the poll to all. It seems that any advertisement money would be wasted, as BM is primarily propagated through word-of-mouth. That's interesting, I thought as much but not quite this dramatically.

Well, you can't expect people to state here that they joined this game because of advertising if you dont advertise. The only conclusion you can draw is that the players we have now our mostly recruited by other players.