Author Topic: If this is a joke...  (Read 29367 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
If this is a joke...
« Topic Start: April 01, 2012, 06:54:10 AM »
So, its now a few hours into April fools day and the only suspect I see for this years prank is The simultaneous IN CHARACTER invasion of every Battle Master Contient by Netherworld.

I'd like to go on record as saying this was not a good joke. First of all I assume this means the whole set up of daimons threatening the other continents months ago was part of the joke, which I believe violates April Fools day etiquette. Further more, since many of us are in different time zones the joke came through when it was still March 31st. Many of us took it seriously and started roleplaying the incident. I assume there will need to be some in character explanation, like daimons playing a prank on us or something, which is silly.

All in all I don't think this was a harmless joke as it messed a lot of us up roleplay wise. Why couldn't you just claim the system was ruined by the updates or something?

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: If this is a joke...
« Reply #1: April 01, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »
Who said this was a joke?

Maybe the joke is that we all thought it was one ???
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 01, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
I did say "if this is a joke".

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 01, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
IF it's a joke (probably it is) it's a really bad one because too IG and ruined the atmosphere

ELSE IF it's not a joke, bye bye Battlemaster and welcome HumansVsDaimons

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 01, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »
Well one part of the joke is obviously the wiki
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 01, 2012, 07:11:42 AM »
Yes clearly the wiki will not stay the way it is.

I've heard that some regions already have portals and takeovers, so that makes this what, half a joke?

That's sort of like punching someone in the face then saying it's just a joke.

If the joke is that it's real and we're all outraged at the idea that its a joke then that's actually pretty clever.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 01, 2012, 07:12:24 AM »
IF it's a joke (probably it is) it's a really bad one because too IG and ruined the atmosphere

ELSE IF it's not a joke, bye bye Battlemaster and welcome HumansVsDaimons

I suspect the invasion will only start in kind if beluterra falls.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 01, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »
We can hope it's a joke. The timing is suggestive in that regard.

But I'm inclined to agree that it's not a great joke to an extent. This type of event has some fairly serious RP implications... Of course maybe that's how Tom wants it. The other islands have been basically ignoring the BT Invasions for years. Might this put a stop to that?

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 01, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »
If it's not a joke, then choosing this time to go through with it only really confuses the playerbase, and that's just unfair. Seems like a bad decision either way, but we can't know for sure yet.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 01, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »
We can hope it's a joke. The timing is suggestive in that regard.

But I'm inclined to agree that it's not a great joke to an extent. This type of event has some fairly serious RP implications... Of course maybe that's how Tom wants it. The other islands have been basically ignoring the BT Invasions for years. Might this put a stop to that?

Ignoring how? It's not like they can send aid.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 01, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Sure they can. They can solicit volunteers to emigrate. They can also take the possibility that the Invasions will one day come to their island seriously and lay the groundwork for their defenses by creating guilds, collecting portal stones, making treaties, etc. Bedwyr was trying to do just that with Manifest Path. From what I have seen, IC no one on the other islands, with the exception of Dwilight, takes the possibility of an Invasion even remotely seriously.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 01, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
Sending volunteers to emigrate is limited by maximum nobles. I for one already have a character on Beluterra.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 01, 2012, 07:49:20 AM »
Sending volunteers to emigrate is limited by maximum nobles. I for one already have a character on Beluterra.

On BT, maximum is two unpaused characters. I have three, granted two are paused.  8)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 01, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Sure they can. They can solicit volunteers to emigrate. They can also take the possibility that the Invasions will one day come to their island seriously and lay the groundwork for their defenses by creating guilds, collecting portal stones, making treaties, etc. Bedwyr was trying to do just that with Manifest Path. From what I have seen, IC no one on the other islands, with the exception of Dwilight, takes the possibility of an Invasion even remotely seriously.

Maybe they shouldn't? I only have one character on BT for a reason.

I expect (and I remind you that this is based entirely on conjecture) that it'll be a pseudo-invasion, to show what's at stake, but which will be quite easily defeated. I think it's more there to show that Tom's willing to do it rather than to actually start an invasion.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Fury

« Reply #14: April 01, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
Huh...?

This is actually great! If it's a joke it's the best evah  ;D
If it's not - wow  8)

But whatever, I can roll with it - first time BM's brought a huge smile from me in a long time.