Author Topic: How NOT to declare war  (Read 25561 times)

Masochist

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to declare war
« Reply #30: April 18, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
More importantly...enough time to realize how bad said plans are and take the time to make competent ones (hopefully)
Family Sion of Twainville

May my enemies live long so they can watch me progress.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 18, 2012, 05:04:56 AM »
You can always create characters off Dwilight too. The long travel times plus the seasonal variance (winter makes it even slower) mean that the action on Dwilight can be a little slow, though in my opinion that just adds a little extra something to the politics. When wars are slow and stately but letters arrive instantly, there's extra incentive for plotting and scheming  :)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 18, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
A sudden, unexplainable wave of new players in Dwilight? WELL I NEVER ::)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 18, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
I must admit, it's actually really funny - what I didn't realise was that Summerdale had a grand total of NINE nobles on the 8th of April. 10 days later, they now have four times what they had! Lol.

Edit: If they have any mentors there, they must be seriously overworked! :o :o
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:45:50 PM by Bael »

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 18, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Yeah, Summerdale actually had fewer nobles than regions before this.  They've quite benefited!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 19, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
Yeah... now it's getting them all estates and waiting for the inevitable streak of "paused as a newcomer not likely to return".

The new estates does make it somewhat more complicated to accommodate large influxes of characters. Not as bad as the last one, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Masochist

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 19, 2012, 02:27:17 AM »
Can't have them all =P
Family Sion of Twainville

May my enemies live long so they can watch me progress.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 19, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
The new estates does make it somewhat more complicated to accommodate large influxes of characters. Not as bad as the last one, though.

What are you talking about? In the previous estate system I /always/ had room for more knights, now there really is a limit to how much knights a realm can accomodate... Which is awkward at times.

Overall, the new estate system is an immense improvement though. I was probably just the only fanatic supporter of the old one. :)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 19, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
What are you talking about? In the previous estate system I /always/ had room for more knights, now there really is a limit to how much knights a realm can accomodate... Which is awkward at times.

Nothing forbids you from making 100 estates with each 1% of the land in each regions. However, what you should really be doing of course is to get more regions, which is the whole point of the new system.

A realm like Summerdale for example would have crumbled long ago in the old system. Now they managed to survive with less nobles than regions, and when new nobles arrived they were able to absorb them and were ready for war. Overall, I think this is a perfect example of how the new system is a success.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 19, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
I am fairly certain that 5% is the minimum estate size, isn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 19, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
I am fairly certain that 5% is the minimum estate size, isn't it?

In my townsland it's 5%, in my rural it's 10%. Still, I doubt any realm is even close to having "a limit to how much knights a realm can accomodate".

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 19, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »
Depends.  There's a "minimum wage" of sorts that warriors need to recruit and maintain a unit.  Personally, I think it's around 80 gold per week.  Bedwyr had it worked out to 55 per week, and I'm sure with some micromanagement you could drive it even lower.  Still, the amount of gold available to the realm is the functional limiting factor, and Thalmarkin hit that like 5 nobles ago.  So it's definitely possible. 

'Course, the appropriate course of action in the above example is to expand...  ;)

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 19, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
I remember back in -my- day when I was a newbie, we were given 40 gold a week and expected to field a unit.  We got along just fine without all this high income mumbo jumbo these new kids have... we'd march our armies from Partora to Ibladesh uphill both ways chest deep in snow and still win battles.   

Kids these days... no respect for their elders.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 19, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
I remember back in -my- day when I was a newbie, we were given 40 gold a week and expected to field a unit.  We got along just fine without all this high income mumbo jumbo these new kids have... we'd march our armies from Partora to Ibladesh uphill both ways chest deep in snow and still win battles.   

Kids these days... no respect for their elders.

Back in MY days we were given an income of 1 gold a week! One! And my region had a population of 1 peasant even though it had two knights, I was taxing the work from his left arm, while my liege was taxing the work from the right arm! And sometimes you'd skip a week of income, and you'd just have to live through it, and you'd be expected to drive away 1000 CS monster units every. single. day! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!

(True story by the way. Man, Dwilight has gotten so easy.)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 19, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Back in MY days we were given an income of 1 gold a week! One! And my region had a population of 1 peasant even though it had two knights, I was taxing the work from his left arm, while my liege was taxing the work from the right arm! And sometimes you'd skip a week of income, and you'd just have to live through it, and you'd be expected to drive away 1000 CS monster units every. single. day! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!

(True story by the way. Man, Dwilight has gotten so easy.)

QFT.