Author Topic: How NOT to declare war  (Read 25560 times)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
How NOT to declare war
« Topic Start: April 01, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
So, Summerdale just declared war on Libero.  About damn time in my opinion, I was hoping to declare war on them in a month or so.  Saves me the trouble and makes us look like the good guys.

Now, I want to be clear that I totally support their decision to do this, and respect them for it.  Things were boring and needed to be stirred up, as their ruler said in an OOC preface to the war dec.

However.  The way they did it IC is about as politically stupid as you can get, and really quite funny.  So I share:

Letter from Charlotte Grancourt   (2 days, 3 hours ago)
Message sent to: Brance Indirik, Bustoarsenzio Peristaltico, Elsebeth Evans, Turin Erickson
(ooc: part of this is for ooc reasons as this part of the island is so boring right now)

Fellow Rulers,

Some of you might know me, I am Charlotte Grancourt. Once I was a rogue, until I found a home in the realm of Springdale only to have it taken away. I have made it my life's work to re-unite the people that first accepted me as a noble under one banner. I am growing old, and I find that the goal of Summerdale has still not been achieved.

We do not own all of the peninsula, and we do not have our banner flying over the city of Springdale, the place I could first call my home. The nobles of Summerdale have voted me in as Queen in my later years to achieve the goal our realm set out to do all those years ago.

We have received help from some of you in the past, noteably Morek and Astrum, and we would like to keep favour with you, but I think it is time that we dropped our relations with Libero Empire. They have kept hold of our lands for too long. While I hold no personal claim to the lands (I would never be the same as Cato), I still miss my first home.

Summerdale will be expanding to accommodate new lands with my final drawing of my sword and hope to achieve what we set out to. I look forward to meeting those from Libero in battle and flexing my sword arm is something other than a tournament.

If you wish to discuss this decision with myself, please do so. I would be happy to respond.

Regards,

Charlotte Grancourt
Queen of Summerdale, Duchess of Nifelheim, Marchioness of Nifelheim, Marshal of the Dalian Crusade

Only kinda mildly bad, right?  Let me point two things out:

First, this came during the whole scare about daemon invasion.  The actual war being declared came shortly after Netherworld declared war on everyone.  Really, not a great time to go deciding you want to just go on a land grab.

Second -- and this is the part that makes it really funny -- they have less nobles than regions already.  And they are basically saying 'we want more regions.'

Made me laugh a bit.  IC, of course, I'm not laughing, but OOC -- good going, guys, and best of luck, look forward to finally having a bit of fun in the north.  We're totally going to crush you, of course.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to declare war
« Reply #1: April 01, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
Summerdale Libero war the valium version of a war.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 01, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »
First, this came during the whole scare about daemon invasion.  The actual war being declared came shortly after Netherworld declared war on everyone.  Really, not a great time to go deciding you want to just go on a land grab.
This was in progress before the Netherworld showed up, and it will probably be a very (boring) long time before LE or Summerdale are anything other than cheerleaders in any war with Netherworld, so why wait on that?

Second -- and this is the part that makes it really funny -- they have less nobles than regions already.  And they are basically saying 'we want more regions.
You're reading it...  the way you want to.  When I read the declaration, I think "Both realms are successors to Springdale... there should be only one!"

Either way, some fun in the north again!

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 02, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »
I hope this war lasts some time, and that Libero doesn't crush Summerdale too soon, or that Astrum and Morek don't interfere. This should give North-Eastern Dwilight a small revival.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 02, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »
I hope this war lasts some time, and that Libero doesn't crush Summerdale too soon, or that Astrum and Morek don't interfere. This should give North-Eastern Dwilight a small revival.

Or that Astrum and Morek do interfere, on opposite sides!  Now wouldn't that be interesting.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 02, 2012, 04:05:12 AM »
I think its great to see some fighting finally up there. I hope Summerdale slaughters Libero. Oog have no problem with Libero, Ig I rp I hate Libero for some dumb reason.

T Strike

• Noble Lord
  • What happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 02, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »
Give back Koshtlom you punk!  >:(
Westmoor: Cross... Coria: Yenom... Caelum: Gawain... Astrum: Ekirt

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 02, 2012, 05:20:27 AM »
Funny thing is I was kind of happy we lost it in the first place, helped our realm focus on expanding northward.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 10, 2012, 06:15:33 AM »

Or that Astrum and Morek do interfere, on opposite sides!  Now wouldn't that be interesting.

Better, Morek joins the fight on their own side. :)
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 10, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
Is anything happening up there?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #10: April 10, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
Generally - martial incompetence.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 10, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
Generally - martial incompetence.
If I weren't a Light, I'd be changing class away from priest and taking personal charge of the army right now.

Well, we'll see if we manage to accomplish anything productive anyways.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 17, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »
Wow Summerdale gain something like 23 nobles.  Thats like over 300% increase.  Almost 400.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 17, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »
Yeah... now it's getting them all estates and waiting for the inevitable streak of "paused as a newcomer not likely to return". 

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 17, 2012, 05:48:53 AM »
Yeah... now it's getting them all estates and waiting for the inevitable streak of "paused as a newcomer not likely to return".

If even a quarter of them stay, summerdale suddenly becomes massively overpowered nonetheless. I'm curious to see how well Summerdale can retain these guys.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre