Author Topic: Shogun 2 Total War  (Read 11949 times)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Shogun 2 Total War
« Reply #15: March 24, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
I really prefer movement done province to province, this is so disappointing.   :'(

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 24, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Good thing peasants are plentiful eh ;)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 25, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
Good thing peasants are plentiful eh ;)

Really I am surprised I havent been arrested for war crimes yet. The sheer amount of peasant units i go through is quite atrocious! Tis a good job they are not numbered like in E:TW... wouldnt like seeing the 501st Yari Ashugari being wiped out lol :D

The Realm Divide is quote fun, so far there IS a certain number of provinces you need to control to get it, but SPOILERS = not telling :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 25, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
Although I must say that defending a castle can be pretty easy. Just go for archer mayhem so they're a bit softened when they climb (yup, they climb like little monkeys) your walls. Then massacre them as they enter your castle, and meanwhile prepare your cavalry to hammer their routing units. D

Yes after some more sieges I have to say that is sometimes disappointingly easy to defend. Perhaps it depends on the difficulty, but at least on hard very often enemy units break and run before doing any damage, and the AI doesn't really send all it has together but tries with some stupid useless waves.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 31, 2011, 01:36:43 AM »
if anyone finds a faster research mod or a way of editing the db's to make it faster, I would give you a hug ;)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20: March 31, 2011, 03:06:49 AM »
How I defend my cities in M2TW.. for instance, Bagdad is under siege of the Mongols.

Two archer unit manning the walls.. shooting on the ram. Of course the AI will move it's whole army forth as you burn down the first ram. And while they get their second ram, my towers are killing 10 to 20% of their army before they get through my gates. I have my main army on the city square. Mostly spears, with a few archers behind them and one cavalry unit (general). But most importantly, some catapult to rain death upon them as they all use the same street to get to my army. So every shot is gold. Not very good for their morale. So 1 vs 3 fights become heroic victories. - So allowing the enemy to get in and then massacre them has always been one of my tactics.

But am planning to buy Shogun 2 as well. My main discontent with the previous games were the useless diplomacy, as all your allies will stab you in the back while you have been so good to them. And the way the AI fought in previous games was just unnatural.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Richard Leonecoeur

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 26, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
Medieval II is my favorite; Rome is good too. Empire was okay... Shogun 2 is great, too, but Medieval 2 takes the cake. My only problems with it ends up being the near unmanageable expenses I will build late game on anything beyond normal difficulty (and possibly then), and that I had four cities of mine besieged by turn 7, at once, on Very Hard difficulty. Battles are fun, still a little buggy there... Oooh,  I won a 300 on 2000 siege and lost 20 men.

Which I suppose isn't bad as throwing your General's Body guard in front of a breach or open gate in Rome, where he gets 900 kills himself. Then again, I took a castle with just a General's Bodyguard in M2 as well. They all have bits and pieces I like... I miss knocking soldiers off walls like you could in Rome, and routing soldiers just committing suicide by running off walls.

I use a lot of Ashigaru in Shogun 2, with samurai to soften up their lines when they're tangled with my ashigaru lines. Heavy use of archers and trying to be on the defensive in pitched battles is a good way to win as you can better use the terrain to your advantage.

Note: Hit insert while selecting a unit. You get a first person perspective of one of the soldiers... Slowmotion arrow travel if they're a bowman, it's fun to see it kill an enemy general.

Madmonk77

• Knight
  • tiki tiki on the rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Rock-Soft
« Reply #22: May 19, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
I have it and its a great game!

Try this combination, it's bloody difficult on the campaign:

Clan: Date
Diff: Legendary

Try to survive! xD

So far I managed to get to the 100 turn and have 6 provinces, this is a HUGE advance! xD
Nico.-

"What else can happen when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?" -- Used to be the player of Vats family. Now I'm the player of Vlad family.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 19, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
On RTW I had perfect siege defense with Seleucides. Simply put two units of levy pikemen (or higher later in the game, obviously) both stretched in 2 rows right behind each other. The extra long spears make the back line spears stick through the front unit, creating a defense with double damage output, killing any unit instantly. If you put peltasts in a row 'under' the phalanx' pikes, the enemy will try to attack those, and simply die en masse. Particularily effective if you create an L shape next to your gate, with heavy cavalry closing the gap. Once the enemy is in place, charge into their side and back, onto your spears :)

The Seleucide formation is called The Long Line In The Sand, I discovered later.

The only bad thing is the Seleucide general's unit being light cavalry at the start, even though the overhead info says it's heavy. It took me a while to figure out why I kept losing generals :P

I tested the Line In The Sand in a custom battle, and it took thousands of enemies to break 4 (silver shield) pikemen in that formation. I had some heavy cavalry at the flanks to make sure they stayed in the centre though I didn't use those for the actual massacre.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 22, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
I have it and its a great game!

Try this combination, it's bloody difficult on the campaign:

Clan: Date
Diff: Legendary

Try to survive! xD

So far I managed to get to the 100 turn and have 6 provinces, this is a HUGE advance! xD

That IS impressive! I havent met anyone that has come close to that yet! Congratulations :D

I also found mods for the Tech:

One I have used and tbh dont like cos it makes it too easy: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441165 (1 turn per tech)
One I will be testing sooner or later: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441595 (25%/50% decrease in time depending on which version, looks nice :D)

RTW is a blast from the past, I only hope that TW:R2 will be as good as RTW and more like RTW than E:TW

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 02, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »
I picked up Shogun 2 a few days ago and I've realised one thing: I suck... A lot...

My most shocking battle being 6 of my own units (3 yari ashigaru, 2 bow ashigaru and a general) against two enemy generals. I lost 2 units and suffered heavy loses on the others.

Online, my most shocking being a sea battle where I lost all 5 of my ships, my opponent lost none of his 5 ships.

Campaigns now consist of me auto-resolving most battles & bribing enemy forces so I don't have to fight the larger ones :P

Luckily I'm used to the "losing is fun" attitude, so I'll just continue to lose a few battles online and try to win something :D

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 05, 2011, 02:08:55 AM »
I picked up Shogun 2 a few days ago and I've realised one thing: I suck... A lot...

My most shocking battle being 6 of my own units (3 yari ashigaru, 2 bow ashigaru and a general) against two enemy generals. I lost 2 units and suffered heavy loses on the others.

Online, my most shocking being a sea battle where I lost all 5 of my ships, my opponent lost none of his 5 ships.

Campaigns now consist of me auto-resolving most battles & bribing enemy forces so I don't have to fight the larger ones :P

Luckily I'm used to the "losing is fun" attitude, so I'll just continue to lose a few battles online and try to win something :D

You dont suck, youre just learning the game ;)

TW:S2 uses a varied version of Rock, Paper Scissors in terms of Units combat and counter-combat, just need to get a feel for it for the best example :D But even if your on easy peasy mode, Enemy Generals are tough as stock, and with the right skills, they are nasty :D

I am only just starting to understand sea combat with my co-op buddies help, but well, usually autoresolve it :D

Generally though - Use Ashugaru for cannon fodder so to speak, but always back up with Samurai and/or Monks ;)

And if you ever want to have a few MP battles for fun, look me up on steam! Handle is Lucas Avis (or rsdragonwolf) and I am always up for a few games or two ;)